2018 Coaching Changes

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Clean, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

They're coming fast and furious:

FSU tagged Willie Taggart of Oregon as the replacement for Jimbo. He didn't last a full season at Oregon.

2. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

On Les Miles. I think the perception is that the job of leading a competitive NCAA program is getting more and more challenging. No question that Les Miles at one point in his career excelled. But there was falloff in production at LSU ... maybe in the best home state geographical situation to recruit top players of any place in the country. It would be wishful to expect a 64 year old coach to go someplace and perform better than his recent track record at LSU.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Maybe the Badhatter lost his charge account at bag n baggage or Houston Trunk Factory.

:deadhorse:

4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

2010 was like 2008 though, A&M should have been playing in that and not Oklahoma.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LongChuckles

LongChuckles 25+ Posts

I seriously think Orlando is the best coach on staff and that includes TH. And I am not a TH hater.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Tennessee ends their zany head football coach search with a wimper. They hire relative unknown Jeremy Pruitt, the DC for Bama.

Pruitt will stay on with Bama through the playoffs AND handle the UT head coaching responsibilities. Seems like a conflict of interest to me. Recruiting for UT while coaching for Bama. Crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not worry Clean. Nick approved it so it has to be ok.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Oh, I didn't realize that St. Saban had personally approved it. Never mind.

Pruitt is only cutting his own throat by not being out there recruiting for UT full time. I think several big UT recruits jumped ship already. He won't have any of his own guys in place for next year. He'll have to go with what ever he inherits. His loyalty may come with a high price tag. Tennessee's long suffering fans are just as impatient as we are.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

SMU sounds like either Jeff Traylor or former Cal coach Sonny Dykes. If they go with Traylor, then Dykes might be a candidate for Texas OC, if Herman decides to make a changes. Dykes knows Del Conte well.

Also, looks like Houston OC Brian Johnson will go to Florida (he knows Mullen well). This might be an opening for Corby Meekins who worked in Houston high schools and knows Applewhite.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

looks like SMU made their decision

11. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

H
    Hopefully true so that we can all breathe easier.

12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sonny is a great hire for SMU, and I expect him to be more successful than Morris was

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Me no likey

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Also not so great from a Texas recruiting perspective

Jeff Traylor to Arkansas to rejoin Chad Morris

15. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Just now saw what Joe posted above. Traylor to sasnakrA. Horrible news. Was hoping he'd come here ...

16. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

17. LonghornCatholic

18. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

ASU hired Herm Edwards to replace their fired coach, but wanted to keep their Offensive and Defensive coordinators. They were both still under contract. Both quit during Herm's first week on the job! Yikes.

Now Edwards is after Tech's DC? Didn't Tech have its' usually crappy defense again this year (yeah, I know. They beat us)?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...80654/arizona-state-billy-napier-herm-edwards

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  19. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Tech's defense was much improved, and not just against us.

20. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

21. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Traylor crossed the border

• Like Like x 1
  22. LonghornCatholic

Good for him. He'll help give Jimbo and Aggy hell.

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  24. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Purple Wizard returns

• Like Like x 2
  26. LonghornCatholic

• Like Like x 1
  27. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

It would be interesting to see what Miles could do in the pack 12. He's won everywhere he coached.

28. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Somewhat related
    Not sure what they were thinking to begin with

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think the conference wussed out. Realistically, who better to speak on how to set up a system to protect yourself from Donna Lupiano and friends than the man who lost everything he worked for by not paying attention and/or ignoring Title IX.