2018 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jun 11, 2015.

1. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Davenport had 23 points last night.....and Jordyn Merritt had 22. Looks like they can play together well. I sure hope that they want to continue that in a few years. Davenport is a 2018(committed to Texas) and Merritt is a 2020. I imagine that everybody in the country will be after Merritt as she is dominating as a freshman. I still haven't made it to one of Plano's games but will soon to see the two of em.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

It's good that our staff offered Merritt very early; even before teammate, Davenport committed to Texas. So, that can only help us with Merritt's recruitment.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  5. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

6. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Guess I better put up....I have been saying I would go see Davenport and Merritt soon. So Tuesday I am going to see Plano vs Plano East. Will give a few impressions to the board after. Playoffs start Friday so maybe another game later.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

8. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

We were not listed earlier when I posted this. It had to be edited because there were only 6 schools listed at that time.

9. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Earlier they had left out Texas, Texas Tech and South Carolina.

10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Nalyssa:

• Like Like x 2
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Nalyssa and Queen:

• Like Like x 6
  12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Karen and Jamie were both at the Cibolo Steele game last night.

The opponent? East Central, Nalyssa's school. Cibolo Steele does have 2020 ESPN watch list G Aja Holmes on the roster.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Aaliyah Holmes, Sedona and Shae at the KU game:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Help me out here, DFW. No relation I assume.

16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

She is class of 2022. I believe she is from the San Antonio area.

17. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

She's in 7th grade? Related to a certain someone?

18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Looks like she is that young:

• Like Like x 1
  19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Thanks - I would have given bad info (thought she was class of 2020).

20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Through 3 quarters in a first round playoff game, Nalyssa with 26 points, 14 rebounds, her team up 49-43.

Edit: EC and Nalyssa knocked out in OT, 67-66.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Saw a tweet where Coach Mulkey was in attendance at NaLyssa's game.

Coach Aston was at the Plano game tonight:

• Like Like x 2
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Plano (Lolo and Jordyn) sent Hurst LD Bell (UCONN commit Lexi Gordon) packing 59-41. Plano outscored Bell 18-3 in the 4th (32-12 in the second half). Lolo scored 14 points, Jordyn had a double double, 19 and 10.

Liberty Hill (Sedona) thumped Giddings 71-17 (can't find a box score).

• Like Like x 2
  23. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Euless Trinity lost last night. Jordan Oliver (22 points per game) hurt her knee last week and didn't play. Her knee will apparently not require surgery. Terrible way for the Baylor commit's for 2017 HS career to end. She is a great kid.

24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Lolo and Jordyn eliminated by SGP.

Sedona and Liberty Hill advance with a 50-41 victory over Mexia.

• Like Like x 1
  25. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Merritt of Plano had 10. Watch out when she is a sophomore next year. Lots of upside.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

This class needs Guards. True Guards with excellent ball handling and penetration skills, not G/Fs. With Brooke and Ariel graduating, the '18/'19 roster will have only Lashann, Alecia and Chasity with those skills. If Coach wants Nalyssa, then I want her, but that leaves room for only one Guard, barring attrition.

Assuming we can not attract the two highly-ranked out-of-staters, Christyn Williams and Honesty Scott-Grayson, that leaves Zarielle Green and Tatum Veitenheimer. Tatum's strength is her all-around game, with perhaps the best pull-up jumper in the class.

We saw how something as simple as foul trouble left us vulnerable against OU, with Ariel missing so much time.

• Like Like x 2
  27. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Tatum reminds me of the OU players that punish us with their 3 point accuracy, jumpers and high basketball IQ. I would rather have her on our team than have to face her for 4 years on another team. Norman is closer to her home town but we have the verbal commitment of her close friend, Sedona Prince.

28. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

This class needs guards with good size. If you look at the potential roster for next year and in 2018 the team will have small guards. I agree that the roster is going to be full of G/Fs. Zarielle Green would be the perfect guard for this team but she isn't looking at Texas.

29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Obviously, trying to find someone to replace Ariel in 2018 will be tough; she can play both SF and SG, but she has all the shots offensively. We currently don't have anyone else on the roster with her size and skill set; and, we don't have anyone coming in for 2017 who does either. Granted, Chasity brings a lot of needed shooting ability; so, that is definitely welcome. Rellah appears to be more of a physical power player; hopefully, she has perimeter shooting skills, as well.

For 2018, Shae Routt has been committed for several years. From what I've read, she is now 6'2. But, don't know much about her skill set. She may have been 6'0 when she first committed; I though perhaps she could play shooting guard. But, now I get the feeling she is more of a PF.

Lolo Davenport is listed at 6'0. Not sure if she will be a true shooting guard in college or more of a small forward. I just don't get the feeling she has the quickness to play shooting guard, but maybe I am wrong.

Even though Lashann has good size, length, and quickness to play in the back court, she is definitely more of a slasher than a jump shooter. So, she is unique but not a replacement for Ariel skill-wise.

Neither Zarielle Green nor Christyn Williams have us under consideration. In state, it only appears as if we are recruiting one guard, and that is Veithenheimer. I would be thrilled if we land her, even though she doesn't have Ariel's size. She may be more of a PG, but Coach has proven she will play two PG's on the floor together as long as one of them is versatile enough to shoot the ball well.

There's always that chance we are in serious contention for an elite OOS shooting guard like Honesty; but, until we read that she plans to visit, I would consider that a long shot at the moment.

It's not like Coach A hasn't tried to recruit some great shooting guards recently; they just haven't been able to close the deal. Now, it kind of seems like we are recruiting players with great athletic ability, but some of them have to be able to shoot from mid-range and 3-point land.

• Like Like x 2
  30. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Naylssa was at the game tonight with her parents sitting behind the Texas bench. Although they remained "neutral" throughout, they saw a great game.

• Like Like x 3