2018 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jun 11, 2015.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Advanced camp is June 9, from 9 AM to 4:30 PM at Cooley for rising 8th through 12th graders.

Player Development camp is June 11th through 14th, from 9 AM the 11th through 4 PM the 14th. For rising 8-12 graders. At Cooley which has limited seating.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

The U18 USA team has:

Three players from Texas: Sedona Prince, Queen Egbo & NaLyssa Smith.
    Two players from Georgia: Jenna Brown & Olivia Nelson-Ododa.
    Two players from Ohio: Nazarah Hillmon-Baker & Abby Prohaska.
    One player each from
    Arkansas: Christyn Williams
    Illinois: Anaya Peoples
    Missouri: Aijha Blackwell
    New York: Jordan Nixon
    And
    Tennessee: Rhyne Howard

Two players from cities named Cleveland, one from Ohio and one from Tennessee.

Tallest player: 6-7 Sedona Prince
    Smallest player: 5-9 Jordan Nixon
    Average height: 6 feet .8 inches

Seven players listed as Guards
    Five players listed as Forwards
    None listed as a Center
    Guards range in height from 5-9 (Jordan Nixon) to 6-2 (Rhyne Howard).
    Forwards range in height from 6-1 (Nazarah Hillmon-Baker) to 6-7 (Sedona Prince).

Seven players are 17 years old; five are 18 years old.

Eleven of the 12 are committed to/signed with a college, including all ten players graduating this spring. Of the two graduating in 2019, Anaya Peoples has committed to Norte Dame while Aijha Blackwell is still uncommitted.

Norte Dame has three players on the team (two incoming frosh & a 2019 verbal).

Baylor and UConn each have two players on the team.

Other colleges represented with one player each include Texas, Stanford, Michigan and Kentucky.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

The 4/5 position was really good. So it’s no surprise that a talented player like Austin didn’t get picked.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I think it's funny that no one wants to be called a center anymore, if that position even exists these days. I guess that would be someone who plants themselves on the block and never gets more than 4 or 5 feet from the basket. Everyone wants to be more versatile than that now. Maybe Brittany Griner is an actual center? (Haven't seen her play in years.) So now maybe we should stop talking about people playing at the 4 and the 5, since 5 may no longer exist. Is Kalani Brown a center, or would she, too, consider herself a forward?

• Like Like x 1
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

‘True’ centers in college ball that come to mind are Kalani and Teiara McCowan. Griner and Cambage in the WNBA. So many players these days seem to want to play ‘down’ - like listing Joyner as a G/F. ;)

6. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Yep, that's true. Listing Joyner as a guard is fantasy land.

7. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Hey if the Mystics can list 6'5 Delle Donne as a F-G, then why not Joyner?!

8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Cuz EDD can do so much more with the ball than Joyner. Better ball handler, better passer, better outside shot.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Well, looks like Sedona will be attending the first summer session since she does not have to back at Colorado Springs until July 20th, with the 2018 FIBA Americas U18 Championship scheduled for Aug. 1-7, 2018 with the location to be determined. Hopefully, everyone will be present at the June 9 Advanced Camp.

Some dates from the first summer session through the start of fall classes copied from the UT academic calendars.

June 2-Saturday: Summer residence halls open at 9:00 am.
    June 7-Thursday: Classes begin for first-term, nine-week, and whole-session classes.
    July 12-Thursday: Last class day for first-term classes.
    July 13-14-Friday-Saturday: Final examinations for first-term classes including first-term three-hour law classes. Nine-week and whole-session classes do not meet.
    July 14-Saturday: First session housing must check out of University residence halls by 2:00 pm.
    July 15-Sunday: Second session housing may check in to University residence halls starting at 9:00 am.
    July 16-Monday: Classes begin for second-term classes.
    August 1-2-Wednesday–Thursday: Final examinations for nine-week classes except in the School of Law.
    August 17-Friday: Last class day for second-term and whole-session classes, including three- and four-hour law classes.
    August 18-Saturday: Final examinations for second-term and whole-session classes, except in the School of Law.
    August 21-Tuesday: Summer residence halls close at 9:00 am.
    August 24-Friday: University residence halls open at 9:00 a.m.
    August 29-Wednesday: Classes begin.

• Like Like x 2
  10. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Joanne better get busy. :e-face-tears: I'm looking forward to a new season and seeing what type of personality this team has.

• Like Like x 4
  11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I wonder how many of the four frosh have taught in a camp setting? They will be expected to help with drills, observe players and provide feedback on improving.

It is always fun watching the incoming frosh from their first summer camp to their last one. Lots of progress and poise made during those four years.

• Like Like x 3
  12. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 3
  13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

1 down...4 to go...

• Like Like x 7
  14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Up next...

• Like Like x 7
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Shae and Erica...

• Like Like x 8
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Audrey...

• Like Like x 7
  17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's a lot of help to move. So, have Charlie and Danni moved in yet?

I wonder how many of us would have gone to help if asked? I would have. It would have been a nice way to meet the newbies.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Based on a tweet from Charli, she arrives tomorrow (if my math is correct). Not sure about Danni.

• Like Like x 3
  19. LutherIsMyDog

Charli has arrived on the 40 acres.

• Like Like x 7
  20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Charli and Co.

• Like Like x 7
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Ladies and gents...the 2018 recruiting class.

• Like Like x 9
  22. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's a great looking class!
    Guess it shouldn't be too long before the new roster is up.

• Like Like x 4
  23. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

The look on the face of the little kid looking up at Sedona made me laugh.

• Like Like x 6
  25. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Let's go, Sedona! Gold's waiting! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 4
  26. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

A little bit more about Audrey! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  27. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm an organ donor but I am not sure about this one. Glad they stepped up, though. :hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  28. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  30. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I was waiting to the side of Gregory waiting for friends to join me for the Stanford volleyball game. Sedona walked past me slowly (she's got a slight limp) and for the 3 second window I was looking directly up to her, I thought about asking for a picture. But then, I didn't want to be stalker-fanboy, so I let her go by. Here she is waiting in line:[​IMG]

Two things after the game.
    1) As I was leaving, there was a UT guide talking to a group of young girls and their parents. I thought, "Recruits? And if so, what sport?" I didn't see any tall giants that stuck out from that group. The reason I thought it was recruits was the guide was giving instructions on when to meet and where for the next day.

2) My friends that went to the game and sit next to us at WBB ran into the team leaving Gregory. She saw them next to one of those scooters and started joshing with them about not to ride those things and break a leg. She then joked with them that they should be back in the dorms under curfew. Joyner joined in joking with her. And then my friend asked where Sedona was - I had sent her a text of the picture above. Joyner said, "Oh she's already gone home. SHE has a curfew."

• Like Like x 4