2018 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jun 11, 2015.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I'm not wishing for anyone to leave but I know it's incredibly common these days. I honestly thought we'd hear something about Diani around the time Sara's transfer was announced. She hasn't been able to get healthy while players with a more developed skill set have been added to the team. Granted, I am basing that assessment on an extremely limited sample from 2 seasons ago.

I am a big fan of Mide and her athleticism/strength so I hope she can show that improvement between the freshman and sophomore seasons that we should expect. I only added Tasia because of players that have been added to the roster and Chasity's commitment.

2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I agree on all points.

3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  5. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Shae had an ACL injury toward the end of her season, so she probably won't be in the AAU circuit this summer. Still, she is a very good player and I think she and UT will stay connected, with her commitment in tact.

6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

At 41, she's in the neighborhood where PN ranked Jada Underwood (#50). Doesn't hurt that Shae's a legacy either.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Anyone interested can catch some of our 2018 targets (Sedona, Charli, Christyn) playing Brazil live in the U17 round of 16:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Thanks for the Heads up DFW. I got to watch almost the complete game! Very disappointed that Sedona only played 2 minutes and Charlie only 5. Neither has gotten many minutes in the 3 competitive games the team has had. I was sure hoping to see how they matched up against this level of competition. There may be a shake up in the ESPN player rankings for the 2018 class after this performance? Janelle Bailey is getting almost all of the Power forward minutes but she is a 2017 HS grad. Destanni Henderson, Christyn Williams, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Aquira DeCosta and Abby Prohaska are all 2018's and getting lots of playing time. Not sure if ESPN even looks at this disparity when rankings players?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  9. HornsLewis

HornsLewis 25+ Posts

I have been watching all these games. What I have noticed is the girls can't keep up. I'm talking about Sedona and Charlie.......they are to slow for the pace

10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

In very few minutes, Charli flashed quick hands in passing lanes and seemed to keep up - also seemed like she was one of the few to actually block out - Brazil was much smaller but the number of offensive rebounds followed by putbacks they got was ridiculous. Team USA doesn't seem to really have an offense unless passing the ball around the perimeter on one side of the court is something new. After the fiasco last summer with the U16s, I was really hoping USA Basketball would bring in a new coach.

11. HornsLewis

HornsLewis 25+ Posts

Not just this game. All the games that have been played they look a step to slow. The game is changing. The Big's are almost non existent now. Look at UCONN with Stewart and Tuck......theyare both really mobile. Also look how the NBA finals was played.

12. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

The days of lumbering giants are no more.

13. HornsLewis

HornsLewis 25+ Posts

Exactly my point........which is why I think we are in good shape with Joyner and the twins.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I haven't watched the team USA games yet, but disappointing about Prince and Charli Collier looking slow. The combination of great height plus quickness is pretty rare in WBB. Kelsey's shot is so pretty, but she could use a little more speed. Holmes looks to have that combination. Mompremier is quick. Pierre-Louis and K. Williams at OU had pretty good quickness. Swin Cash and Tina Charles had great quickness for UConn. Tiffany Jackson was the quickest big for us in recent times that I remember. We have a bunch of quick guards now and will have even more with Sutton and then Patterson, from what I hear.

15. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

It depends on what you consider to be a lumbering giant. I think there is always a place for a great back to the basket low post player. I'll take a Courtney Paris or Stacey Stephens over 99.9% of centers in college today. I think the issue is that there aren't a lot of great back to the basket centers anymore. The majority of big girls now give up their height and try to be a guard on the perimeter. It's a lot easier to score closer to the basket than it is shooting 20 foot jumpers.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Stacy Stevens....brings back great memories.

At 6'1", Stacy is a powerful reminder that strength and want-to are more important that height.

• Like Like x 1
  17. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I went to Frisco last night to watch the Super 64 Girls Tournament. Of interest was Texas Adidas Elite Prime Franey 2017. That team is loaded with both 2017 and 2018 players and is the favorite for the championship. Notable are Sedona Prince, Tatum Veitenheimer, Trinity Oliver, Bryn Gelrich, Vivian Gray and ? Reece. They don't have rosters or programs so you have to ask parents who is who. Those players stood out but there are others as well that are really good. Tatum is the real deal. Doesn't really look the part but is real fast. But her court savvy is tremendous. Prince and Veitenheimer are at the top of my list. Oliver is exceptional as she is 5-10" and is a legit 2/3 position player AND with good family................but she doesn't have a Texas offer. Gray will probably go and play with her sister out west. I talked briefly with Veitenheirmer's mother after the game and put in a good word for the Horns. Lots of smiles. Cant make the other games this week. They played 2 games today and will be over Saturday. Really good basketball being played.

• Like Like x 3
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Happen to see any UT coaches?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  19. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

With all the highly ranked Texas prospects, and roster spots precious with only four departing seniors, do you take a flyer on Tatum?

The 2A competition gives me pause. Yet, she seems to have that "it" factor that is being discounted.

20. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

There were perhaps 6 or so coaches. No UT and Okie State only B-12 I recognized. The 2-A is not an issue. She is playing .....is a starter at the highest level and standing out.

• Like Like x 2
  21. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

For clarification, does Tatum have a scholarship offer from Texas? She's one of my favorites and I would love to have her at Texas. She has spunk, is a court leader as well as having a great shot.

• Like Like x 1
  22. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

2A not a negative. Some of the greatest players have been from small towns. Heather Schreiber, Tatum's coach, comes to mind. From the same town. Also Jody Conradt herself, 45 ppg. average in high school, also 2A.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Granted.

However, as the program has taken off in recent years, Karen has been targeting Top 10 players nationally, Joyner, Alecia, Lashann, come to mind. There are always special situations, like Jada this year, that trump high national rankings, but that's not the case with Tatum.

Not that #38 nationally is chopped liver, but that currently places Tatum at #7 in Texas. Given that rankings are very imperfect indicators of D1 success, why do you figure she is ranked that low? I submit that the 2A competition is one of probably several reasons.

24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

The new era of "early" recruiting requires a lot of foresight by our coaches. Our staff hasn't finished its recruiting efforts for the 2017 class (with only one verbal commitment thus far), but still has to forecast what the program's needs will be for 2018 (and even 2019).

In state, the class of 2017 is rich in elite guards (especially point guards), but not many elite front court players. The class of 2018 is the opposite -- several elite post players, but not rich in guards. Now that we have a verbal commitment from 2017 PG Chasity Patterson, that (along with guard signees in prior classes) could affect whether we target any guards for the 2018 class . But, we lose 3 guards after the 2017-18 season; so, unless we take another guard in 2017 (like Chennedy Carter or Cara Ursin), chances are we take one guard in 2018. I could see Coach A trying to "balance" classes by having at least one guard per class.

At one point, we had 2018 verbal commitments from Charli Collier, Sedona Prince, and Shae Routt; so, that basically would have left room for possibly one more recruit. But, with two decommitments among those three early verbals and only SF Routt still committed, the other three slots are somewhat wide open, although I think the emphasis will be on getting two more front court players (from a group of Sedona Prince, Queen Egbo, Nalyssa Smith, among others).

I'm sure all of us want to our staff to continue signing nothing but All-Americans who are high on the subjective recruiting lists; but, that's jut not realistic as each player wants (immediate) playing time. Gone are the days when freshmen newcomers accepted that waiting their turn for a year or two was the norm. Granted, there are some players who want to attend their dream school no matter what the depth chart in front of them looks like on paper; those could be elite players or players who are not as highly-ranked, but still talented in their own right.

Tatum Veitenheimer did attend our summer camp in 2015, but don't believe she attended in 2016. Whether that means anything or not is uncertain. Seems like she plays at the highest level with her club team, and that probably gives her more exposure (and competition) than her 2A high school squad. But, the recruiting services do know who she is, as do the collegiate coaches. I'm sure she will have plenty of options when it comes time to selecting a college. She also is the setter for her volleyball team, plays softball, and run tracks. So, no doubt she is a very competitive athlete.

Once we complete our 2017 class (might not be until the Fall), that might dictate which positions (other than front court) become "need" positions for 2018. I'm sure our coaching staff is constantly updating their wishlist as players leave/join the program. As long as we keep winning, the player interest in our program will remain strong.

• Like Like x 1
  25. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

The Texas Adidas Prime Elite 17 won the Super 64 tournament in Frisco with a 6-0 record. Unfortunately, I did not get to see any of the last 4 gamers. There was no newspaper or other coverage that I could find but got an email with the above news.

26. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Definitely some talent on this team Texas would like to have.

27. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Found out why Tatum was not at the Texas Advanced skills camp. She was making a visit to Notre Dame on that weekend! Hope Texas is still in the running for her talents!

28. Lovethegame

Lovethegame < 25 Posts

29. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Very impressive that Veitenheimer was the "linchpin" of the team. Nalyssa Smith sounds amazing.

30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

First time I've heard this name associated with Texas:

• Like Like x 2