2018 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Feb 2, 2017.

1. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Yeah just about everyone has him going aggy

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

top 5 for TE Mustapha Muhammad
    (obligatory: Where is aggy?)

• Like Like x 3
  3. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I don't know what the CB's are saying but by watching that video it appears to me it's LSU. He slipped and said "LSU has always been my favorite team" and then corrected himself and said "one of my favorite teams."

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

From Joe Fan's link above ^

rankings.png

• Like Like x 1
  5. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Bama at 24 wow

• Like Like x 1
  6. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

They also have the lowest number of recruits, thus the low ranking. If they're not in the top 5 by NSD... But they will be.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Never forget that they have one of the best bagmen of the last two decades on their payroll.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

I used to get interviewed like that all the time when I was choosing my school except there were hot chicks everywhere instead of pudgy news guys, you know the scene

• Like Like x 1
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

2018 DL Bobby Brown

• Like Like x 2
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

QB commit Cameron Rising told OB the Oregon rumors are untrue. He says he did visit Oregon when he was committed to ou, but he hasn’t been back.

As soon as Rising first committed to Texas, he immediately began recruiting JUCO TE Dom Anderson. Rising said he knew Anderson would be picking Texas over ou, Oregon and Louisville.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

lol

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Antwine situation apparently has changed from our perspective since the commitment of Keondre Coburn. And it looks like the recruiting gurus have caught on as his CBs are beginning to change. So the idea that he will be the next commitment is probably now inaccurate.

Most people have been targeting three 2018 commitments for the DL. However, with Coburn now in, we might only take one more. If so, with Cobun a NT/3-tech, it means the one more 2018 will be at the 4i. The two leading candidates are Bobby Brown and Ronnie Perkins. If they both want to commit then this seems like the most likely way we get back to 3 DLs in this class. The 2019 DL class has more top end guys so if we take two this year it opens another spot for next class

These guys are apparently our remaining 2018 DL possibles --
    In-state: Brown and Chatman
    Out-of-state: Perkins, Antwine, Carson and Trout
    Next tier: Avery, Dotson and Landry

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  13. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

that makes sense.

any thoughts on the OL strategy for this class?

14. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

No, and with Jean Delance now announcing his transfer we need to add several this class. And then more next year. I am very concerned about our depth at OL. I think we have some great guys, but we need more bodies.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  17. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

It would be nice to get a few more in. I am a big believer that the success of a season rides largely on the health and quality of our OL and DL. As a former OG I am sure I am a bit biased, but a great line can make a decent back look extraordinary, and a second or two more to throw gives a slow deciding QB just that much longer to think. (not a comment on our RBs or QBs, just a general observation).

• Like Like x 2
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is TFB write up on this QB
    Not the average situation

Tanner McKee: Currently, Texas has two QBs committed in the 2018 class in Newbury Park (CA) Cam Rising and Newcastle (OK) Casey Thompson. But that hasn’t stopped them from pursuing Centennial (CA) 5-star QB Tanner McKee.

As most know, McKee plans to take a two-year Mormon mission following his HS graduation so he’s technically a 2020 recruit. He doesn’t have to sign on NSD, and by the time he returns from his mission his NLI will be void. But pretty much every other HS athlete that has done this has stuck with the school they signed with. The main schools after McKee right now are Texas, Alabama, Washington, BYU, and now Stanford. The Cardinal was the last school McKee was really hoped for an offer from; so they are a school to watch.

Obviously BYU is a major threat as they have a strong Mormon presence on campus. Then you have Alabama, Texas, and Washington. Right now McKee has some visits locked in. He will visit BYU on September 9th, Texas on October 7th, Washington on October 28th, and Alabama on November 4th.

McKee said told me the Texas trip will be an official visist, as will the rest of the visits with the exception of the BYU game. He told me that he would officially visit BYU after the season. It looks like Stanford is the one he hasn’t set up a visit to yet.

Right now I would put Stanford and BYU ahead of Texas, but he isn’t close to a decision and he has some legit interest in Texas. – (Andrew)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Agree with you. I been singing this song for a long time. Unfortunately for Herman and the rest of us, 2018 is a down year in-state in the trenches. 2019 looks much better, esp on the DL. It's also interesting to note the best two OLs on our current roster were not highly rated. Connor Williams and Zach Shackelford were both 3-stars. And the third best might be Jack McMillion who I think was a 3-star DL

20. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I think sometimes that OL is a place where bodies have to develop. Shack is an extremely talented and well rounded kid, as well as being very intelligent. I was in Belton for many years and my friend's son played HS ball with Shack and is a good friend of his. I have been a fan of his for a long time.
    But sometimes the grading in HS for OL is about who is big now. Some guys take longer to develop and to get their size, strength, and technique. In HS sometimes big guys look great as they play against smaller DLs, but technique is key. TH has talked more about pad level than any HC in recent memory. It speaks well of him IMHO.
    I think many 3*s at OL are real diamonds in the rough.

• Like Like x 2
  21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Should tell you something about Strong's recruiting. Some of us on this Board have been questioning his talent and coaching evaluation abilities for some time.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

One of my platforms, going back 3 coaches now (lol), has always been that we oversign WRs and undersign OLs. Why not get a few extra OLs instead of those 2 or 3 or 4 extra WRs who never see the field? Redshirt them, let them eat right, train and grow. Combine this with coaching and scheme continuity and, at a minimum, you would have some mature, trained backups at all OL positions, which is nothing to sneeze at.

• Like Like x 4
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

His poor assistant coaching calls were immediately self-evident from that initial group. And his recruiting style was tremendously frustrating. I thought he was unwilling (or perhaps he was simply unable) to take full advantage of all the baked-in natural positives UT offers. I never got this about him. And what Herman is doing right now in recruiting only makes Strong's shortcomings in recruiting while at Texas stand out more.

On the other hand, I think we have no choice but to concede he put alot of high draft picks into the NFL, especially from Louisville, a mid-major basketball school. So, its a mixed bag on Strong for me. I get more angry at Steve Patterson than I do Strong. Hopefully Patterson got one out of two with Shaka.

Here is a list of Strong draft picks, all were coached by him, most but not all were recruited by him

South Carolina
    (2003, 2): DT Langston Moore, 6th round, Bengals; LB Corey Jenkins, 6th, Dolphins
    (2004, 2): CB Dunta Robinson, 1st, Texans; DB Deandre’ Eiland, 6th, Vikings

Florida
    (2005, 2): LB Channing Crowder, 3rd, Dolphins; CB Reynaldo Hill, 7th, Titans
    (2006, 2): LB Jeremy Mincey, 6th, Patriots; CB Dee Webb, 7th, Jaguars
    (2007, 7): DE Jarvis Moss, 1st, Broncos; S Reggie Nelson, 1st, Jaguars; DE Ray McDonald, 3rd, 49ers; DT Marcus Thomas, 4th, Broncos; DT Joe Cohen, 4th, 49ers; CB Ryan Smith, 6th, Titans; LB Brandon Siler, 7th, Chargers
    (2008, 1): DE Derrick Harvey, 1st, Jaguars
    (2010, 5): CB Joe Haden, 1st, Browns; LB Jermaine Cunningham, 2nd, Patriots; DE Carlos Dunlap, 2nd, Bengals; LB Brandon Spikes, 2nd, Patriots; DB Major Wright, 3rd, Bears

Louisville
    (2011, 3): DB Johnny Patrick, 3rd, Saints; RB Bilal Powell, 4th, Jets; T Byron Stingily, 6th, Titans
    (2012, 1): DE Greg Scruggs, 7th, Seahawks
    (2014, 4): S Calvin Pryor, 1st, Jets; DE Marcus Smith, 1st, Eagles; QB Teddy Bridgewater, 1st, Vikings; LB Preston Brown, 3rd, Bills
    (2015, 9): WR DeVante Parker, 1st, Dolphins; T Jamon Brown, 3rd, Rams; G John Miller, 3rd, Bills; LB Lorenzo Mauldin, 3rd, Jets; LB Deiontrez Mount, 6th, Titans; CB Charles Gaines, 6th, Browns; DE B.J. Dubose, 6th, Vikings; S Gerod Holliman, 7th, Steelers; TE Gerald Christian, 7th, Cardinals
    *2015 was Louisville school-record number of players drafted
    (2016,1) DT Sheldon Rankins, 1st, Saints

Texas
    (2015, 5): DT Malcom Brown, 1st, Patriots; LB Jordan Hicks, 3rd, Eagles; CB Mykkele Thompson, 5th, Giants; CB Quandre Diggs, 6th, Lions; TE Geoff Swaim, 7th, Cowboys
    (2016,1): DT Hassan Ridgeway, 4th, Colts
    (2017,1): RB D'Onta Foreman, 3rd, Texans

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The effects of sketchy recruiting tactics by CS

click once to enlarge
    [​IMG]

25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's because NO ONE WOULD WORK FOR HIM! In spite of the worst contracts with the most egregious, near criminal terms in the history of The University, NO quality assistants would accept the jobs. The coaching community knew what Strong was and wanted no part of the great Powers experiment. I said it then and have not seen anything to change my mind.

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The one guy we all liked -- Wickline -- was a disaster for the OL
    Look at that depth chart

• Like Like x 1
  27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Huh? Most of those guys are wickline guys.i count 7, 8 if you include buck major who has had injury problems.

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I meant the one incoming assistant we all liked at the time
    But look at the depth chart^^ -- who are our OTs after CWilliams leaves next year? Whose fault is that?

Remember December 29, 2014?
    The Texas Bowl
    18 rushes for +2 yards total
    18:50 time of possession
    An all-time worst performance by a Texas OL?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

There are also rumors of DB attrition on the way
    We seem on our way to a 25-man class

30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

That would not be surprising. Also some WR's are likely to go.