2018 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Feb 2, 2017.

1. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I’m thinking he is Michigan bound. I hope I’m wrong.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

3. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Legion of Kaboom?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I am guessing you are not in sales?

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

lol
    I am not certain we have even had one since Jermichael Finley's first half against ou in 2007

The potentially great Blaine Irby had 10 catches in 3g in 2008 and then 11 in 6g in 2011
    The best since is Geoff Swaim who played 2 seasons (13 catches). He is now in his 3rd NFL season (7 catches)
    Greg Daniels had 8 catches in 2 seasons
    Andrew Beck has had 12 catches in 3 seasons

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

One does not simply throw a football to tight ends

• Like Like x 2
  7. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

LOL, really. Yep, but capital not retail and this is Wal Mart and in Katy on I10. I assure re you, they do not restock shelves that quickly! But I did enjoy you retort, as I do often.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

His mom went to Texas
    So there's that

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's too bad this is a down year for OLs in state
    Otherwise, we would probably be cleaning up, just like we are with DBs.

Here is the class chart - click once to enlarge
    [​IMG]

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

"Tommy Bush: Texas is hosting another big visitor this weekend in Samuel Clemens (TX) WR Tommy Bush. He will be coming into town with both of his parents, and the other news will be he is coming in on an unofficial visit not an official visit. Bush has only taken one visit during the season, and it was an official to Nebraska on October 8th. He’s told me he doesn’t plan to take many visits during the season so this is a big one for Texas.

Bush is 6’5 200 pounds and is a freak athlete playing WR. Texas has 3 WR’s committed right now and expect them to take 4 at the most in 2018. The top two guys on the board are Bush and Jaylen Waddle. Texas seems to prefer Waddle over Bush, and I think that’s the right approach. Waddle is my #1 WR in the state so that’s a big reason why I’d like that stragegy. The other reason is that Texas has a WR committed right now that is similar to Bush and that’s Brennan Eagles. Eagles is a tall, freak athlete playing WR but isn’t the most refined WR like some others and is a bit raw. But his upside through the roof.

I’ve felt for awhile now that if Texas plans to take Bush, he’ll likely be a Longhorn on NSD. Baylor has made a huge impression on Bush. And with Texas being behind the 8-ball for awhile with him after a late offer, the Bears were his leader for awhile. Michigan State is a school he said he may visit in a few weeks. Nebraska and Florida State are also threats for him. Right now Bush is looking at making a decision on National Signing Day. – (Andrew)"

http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2017/10/open-post-wednesday-october-18th/

12. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

The coaches are probably still working on some high rated OOS OL guys, but if we don't sign 4 to 6 this year we will be in bad shape for the next couple of years. Other teams perform better than us with 3 star guys because they have been in their system for 2 or 3 years before they are asked to play meaningful minutes. We have not recruited enough guys for 3 years. OL should have 5 new recruits every year.

13. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

I should have said 3 of the last 4 years. This year is not in the books yet. Leave out Strong's second year and we recruited 6 guys over three years! With no injuries, you generally have to play 5 every play! 6 when we should have recruited at least 15. Oversight or incompetence?

14. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Joe, I sure hope momma can help him see the light which is burnt orange.

I agree Mike. Maybe they should have in this first full recruiting year to have gone heavy after the top JUCO DL and OL for instant help and experience. Then fill in some HS line as a priority the following years.

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We came out of the Spring with 18 OLs (a number that allows for a 3-deep with 3-RS). But then came transfers, injuries, position changes and other departures. With the decision to RS Samuel Cosmi, we are now down to just 11 bodies on the OL. Also, probably was not smart for Strong to burn the RS on Okafor (10g as true freshman mostly on ST) and Delance (2g).

Next season, if Williams stays, we will have 13 scholarship returners on the OL (not counting the incoming 2018 true freshmen). Mack Brown deciding to quit recruiting OLs in 2014 after Cuney really messed up the numbers. This almost certainly means we will add more 2018 OL recruits. So far we have just two. So, at least two more. Probably three.

Here is the biggest problem with that. This is the link to the 247 in state list of 2018s
    https://247sports.com/Season/2018-F...Rankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX
    There is one OL ranked inside the top 20 and he barely makes it at #19 (an OT committed to ou. The next is aggy legacy Matthews at #26).
    There are only 5 total OLs inside the top 50. Our top recruit is Rafiti Ghirmai at #38. Next its Reese Moore (265 lbs) at #56. Most of the in-state guys for 2018 are undersized like Moore (Moore might end up being a solid OT, but clearly not in 2018)

TCU went with it anyway. They have 5 2018 OL verbals but all are 3-stars. We initially decided to save our schollies for the 2019 class, which has more bigger bodies. But attrition in all its various forms has left us in a bad position.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  16. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

Interesting how TCU recruits three star guys and wins. Wasn't Williams a three star?

• Like Like x 2
  17. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Patterson and his staff consistently get more out of less than any staff in the big 12, with the possible exception of Snyder at K state.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He was. A diamond in the rough

19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Two words - "Kenneth Sims"

Nobody wanted him and we were the only offer, which assistants had to battle Fred to give him an offer.

Two more - "John Hagy"

Only got an offer after we lost a couple of recruiting battles with OU & aTm

Back then we had coaches that could & would coach em up

20. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Williams was a three star offered by Texas and Alabama, among others. It's kind of like Sam Acho, a "3 star" offered by Texas and USC back when Brown and Carroll were the best recruiters. Coaches evaluated these guys properly. The 9.95ers not so much.

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some but not all sites saying Ossai is visiting again this weekend - non-OV
    Would not be a bad thing (right b4 his OV to aggy)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Good war out there now between our digital graphics folks and other programs' digital graphics folks for Cook

[​IMG]

23. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Can any of them block?

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

from above^
    We are still after OL Cameron Wire (6'6,280) of Gonzales, LA
    He is LSU commit but supposed to OV to Austin.

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

~6:30pm for Muhammad

27. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Have you heard or read any last minute hints that would give us a clue?

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

They say he plays it close to the vest
    But the CBs are 100% to Harbaugh now
    26 of them

".......... At this point, all signs are pointing towards Michigan. Our Texas sources tell us the staff has received no indication that he will select Texas.

However, Muhammad has not yet taken his official visit to Michigan. He will visit there in December…when it’s cold. We are told Texas will continue to recruit him and it’ll be interesting to see if this turns into a Jordan Elliot situation.

Whether it does or doesn’t, the highest priority for Texas is to hold on to JUCO TE, Dominique Wood-Anderson. He’s an instant impact guy and with the current young crop of TEs already on campus who will be coming into their own by next year, missing out on Mustapha isn’t as big of a blow as some might think. – (Andrew & Super K)"
    http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2017/10/open-post-weekend-october-20th-22nd/

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

30. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

This guy is the bomb! We will only have him for two years, but that will give the raw but very talented Malcolm Epps time to develop to where he needs to be.