2018 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Feb 2, 2017.

1. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

he's got a different gait, but his moves remind me of old #2 metcalf.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  3. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i'm glad i see the effort now on the line. maybe it was always there, but i'm glad i see it.

4. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 1
  5. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

We're on top?

• Like Like x 1
  6. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Ok here is my take after watching HS football playoffs all day long at the Alamo Dome. Caden Sterns was the best football player on the field the whole day. He looked bigger than what they list him as. He's very fast and made every single tackle that he came across individually. Austin Westlake has a RB that is a punisher when he runs and they had it out several times. Sterns tackled him ever single time, but a couple of times the big boy got a little the extra yard or two just because he's much bigger. Sterns is a really good athlete on both sides of the ball. He played WR for about 25% of the offensive plays and made a few good catches. But he didn't have the QB for the long passes and would under throw them. Sterns also had a really good kick return for about 60 yards and then after that they short kicked it every time. Caden also got to show his spend when the big back who was actually really fast for his size broke a long one for about 40 yards. Caden was on the opposite side of the field and had to turn and run to have a chance to catch him and he closed quickly and didn't save the touch down, but hit him hard from behind that knocked him into the end zone. He really didn't get a chance for any INT's as Westlake is an excellent passing team and they pretty much stayed away from him.

The only knock I have for Caden is that he had so many opportunity's to lay a legal hit on players that were being tackled and he would not do it. Because of that the offensive player would get a extra yard or two. That happened several times.

Dicker our Kicker update. Kicked every kickoff out of the end zone or deep into the end zone but one. That one barely made it into the end zone and was downed. Dicker made 1 of 2 FGs. A fairly short one and missed a 47 that had plenty of distance but looked to be wide left by about a foot. But he's a very confident kid and doesn't seem to be shaken. Made all extra points. He's also the punter for the team and he's actually a really good punter. But compared to what we've come accustom to with Dickson then that would be a no. I feel sorry for whoever our next punter is. Against Judson Dicker punted a 60 yarder which I forgot to mention on that update the last time I watched him.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

As long as Miami is not there #MyWorstBowlGameEver
    We shocked the nation all right

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

OB says DT Keondre Coburn might sign early
    This would be good

• Like Like x 2
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Moves well laterally

• Like Like x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

And yet another JUCO OL -- Noah Banks (6'7,305) of Iowa Western CC
    May visit, not sure if we offered
    Current Piggy commit (as of Nov). but he if from Pensacola and will visit Gator this weekend. So they are likely the favs. But he is still going to take another visit at the end of this week. US or ou it sounds like. We will see.

https://247sports.com/Player/Noah-Banks-78749

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We offered RB Craig (Sqwirl) Williams (listed at 5'10,175 but probably 5'9,170)
    Current Baylor commit. He may be the fastest in-state player this class.
    4.36 40 Yard Dash
    4.47 Shuttle
    29" Vertical
    10.42 100M
    21.33 200M
    We brought in in for an UOV already, late in hs high school season. Now we will try and get him here for an OV. IT says we are looking at him for the slot (and he certainly looks the part even though most of his highlights are RB). If so then it may mean bad news on Rondale Moore OVs to Purdue this weekend. We will see. This team def needs more speed

Film is worth a look

• Like Like x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

RB Ta'Zhawn Henry (Houston Lamar) de-commited from TCU.
    Good player, but I have read Ingram wants to be the only RB in our class
    But with his size (5'8,175) and cutting ability, you have to wonder if he could be a slot guy too

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Got one CB flip to Texas

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Washington might be our best recruiter

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We did offer and he will visit

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Big Need -- OT Junior Angilau of Salt Lake City

• Like Like x 1
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

You might remember former UT-commit Lagaryonn Carson (Liberty-Eylau) from last year? He got his GED and will get another chance at Coahoma Community College in Mississippi.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

4-star WR from Yoakum
    Just de-committed from Nebraska

• Like Like x 1
  21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Who would want to go to that **** show. Plus a new coach.

22. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

shocked if he does not join brother in CS

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

From TFB on all the OL offers outstanding:

"Texas extended two more JUCO offers. Yesterday they offered JUCO OT Levon Livingston (Navarro College). And today Texas offered JUCO OT, Noah Banks (Iowa Western Community College).

Texas was set to host former Aggie and current Ventura College OT, Trevor Elbert this weekend. As of this afternoon, Elbert’s head coach indicated that the visit was still on.

However, I just received word from Elbert’s coach who said, “Just heard they (Texas) got a commitment from a guy this weekend so they are not going to offer [Trevor]. He is visiting Central Florida this weekend”.

I had been told there was a chance Texas would take two JUCO guys. So whatever commitment they received over the weekend may not be connected to the two new offers. The previous JUCO offers were to Jahmir Johnson and Mikey Grandy. I’m checking with both to see which one of them will be at Texas this weekend. That might give us an indication of which guys Texas feels good about…assuming it’s one of them.

However, this could be connected to a high prospect. We will check on that as well."

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

And here is the answer to the post above

We've been needing some good news, so here it is. I think he is/was the top ranked target left on our board

• Like Like x 4
  25. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

We just got the Big Need!

• Like Like x 3
  26. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

That was huge... literally.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This commit helps lift the fog on where out OL class will end up
    We now have verbals from 3 high schoolers
    -- Angilau
    -- Moore
    -- Ghirmai

Which probably leaves 2 JUCOs and the previously mentioned grad transfer OL

As far as the JUCOs go, we have several other OL JUCO offers out. We have already moved on from Trevor Elbert (due to Angilau?). But Mike Grandy just OVd with UCLA and escaped without committing. We also have the advantage with him that several of his family members are moving to Austin. Another is Noah Banks who is visiting this week. He will sign Dec 20 and enroll in January with three years to play two seasons.

Probably the two most athletic remaining JUCO OLs (chance to be LTs) are Levon Livingston and Jahmir Johnson. Johnson won't enroll in a school until June so his visit was moved to January. The knock on Livingston is that he needs to add weight. Losing the Traore battle to LSU hurt.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  28. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

more than 3 needed to establish experience and needed depth!?

29. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

Reportedly won't enroll until 2020. LDS mission.

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I dont know if that is true or not. Only coming from one Utah site. None of the Texas sites. So, we will see.