2018 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like we are looking to add grad transfer Anderson plus one more of the grad transfer OLs.

• Like Like x 3
  2. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

All this recruiting stuff is great. But Texas won’t return to Elite until they can put a quality offensive line on the field. Which is why out of all the recruits Texas signed I’m more interested in the juco and grad transfer o lineman.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

BINGO

Couldn't agree more. I'm hoping for 2 more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

BINGO

• Like Like x 1
  5. Grey But Orange

Grey But Orange 25+ Posts

Anderson is a young man whose maturity, experience and intelligence will be like having a coach on the field. Darn sure hope we can sign him.

• Like Like x 3
  6. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

DARRELL Shepard - former ou QB ... once drove that Trans Am.

• Like Like x 1
  7. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

https://247sports.com/college/texas...n-Anderson-something-to-think-about-114846121

8. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Out of all the schools that Anderson is looking at only Michigan has a grad program to match what Texas can offer. Not to mention his family can easily watch him play against USC and Oklahoma if he picks Texas.

Aggies are living off the past, their offensive line has sucked for the last 3 years and they haven't had the injury issues Texas had last year. It also doesn't hurt that Connor Williams is about to become a multi-millionaire.

9. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Recruitment of Anderson feels like it’ll drag on for a while, which is fine because it’s a big decision and gives us something to bide the time until spring ball, but damn if it won’t be pins and needles because he’s absolutely a must get and there’s legit competition. Calvin, if you’re reading this it’s too damn cold in Michigan, playing in cold weather blows

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

aggy is probably just doing that to mess with us
    We pursued several of their guys
    I think there is close to zero chance Anderson would go there

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

One of the salaries sort of stands out
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Good article about Mike Williams beating the odds to find a second home with Texas.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...cle_71247bc0-0c6a-11e8-9dc8-efd792302507.html

"..... Football diehards may remember Williams as a coveted youth quarterback who played at Redemptorist the final year the school was open.

He moved to Dunham, where his play was always the outgoing part of his personality. He passed for 1,565 yards and 17 TDs and also ran for 849 yards and 13 TDs as a senior.

Another number Williams is linked may surprise some, and it was the reason why Mary Williams started to cry when he thanked her for “always having my back.”

“I was 14 years old when I had Mike,” Mary Williams said. “There were a lot of people who doubted the environment he was raised in. They didn’t think he could make it this far. But he has, and I’m so thankful. Signing a scholarship is such a huge accomplishment. The opportunities academically mean as much as the football part to me.”

Dunham football coach Neil Weiner has witnessed the metamorphosis of Williams as a player and person and believes he is ready for college football and life in general.

“When Mike first came here to school, he didn’t know a lot of people, and he pretty much kept to himself,” Weiner said. “Last year and then this year, that has changed. He’s not a big social guy. In fact, he would rather stay home and play video games. But now when you see him, he always has this big smile on his face.”

As he found his footing at Dunham, Williams’ work ethic soared. He asked for extra reps in the weight room and on the blocking sled, Weiner said.

Stepping out of that Dunham comfort zone for recent official visits to Tennessee and Texas was a test Williams realized he passed when he was in Austin.

Credit the Longhorns and coach Tom Herman for making it a little easier by assigning former Madison Prep player Malcolm Roach, a UT defensive lineman, as one of his hosts. Two years earlier, Williams was on the business end of bull rush by Roach, then a senior....."

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Holland put out a nice behind-the-scenes account of 2018 recruiting season --

Right after Hurricane Harvey flooded Houston, Anthony Cook made his way to Dallas to train. It was there where Cook told me everything. He was a heavy Ohio State lean and said LSU was running second in his recruitment. Cook wasn’t jiving with Tom Herman and his staff and said Texas was way on the outside looking in. In fact, Cook’s mom is the parent that told me she wasn’t really high on Herman at The Opening. Cook did make a visit soon after, and the Longhorns got him back on campus for an official visit. After that, Texas became a major player. Cook bonded with Herman, Jason Washington and the rest of the staff. They were also able to win the Cook family over with their pitch on family and academics. LSU made up some ground when it hosted Cook for an official visit. Ohio State dropped off due to distance — Cook wanted to be close to his mother, who was due to have a baby. Cook loved Corey Raymond’s history of developing defensive backs but felt more at home at Texas. He was torn all the way up until a few days before his decision. He didn’t even tell Herman he was coming until the day of his announcement.

• Like Like x 3
  15. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

16. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

^Good start. In order to "lock the state down," the exodus to Zero U has to be stopped.

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

A few more of the inside stories

Jaylen Waddle did give Texas a silent commitment in the spring. But this recruitment took a weird turn. Someone got in Waddle’s ear about Texas not making him a priority and used Justin Watkins’ commitment as an example. Waddle admitted to me that he thought Watkins was a great player, and he wanted to be the only slot in that class. Waddle backed off of that stance once Watkins backed out of his pledge and Rondale Moore committed — Waddle didn’t see Moore as a threat. Waddle did visit Texas at the end of spring, but by then, he was too far-gone. He soured on Texas and never made a visit despite Tom Herman making an in-home late in the process. Those around him gave him a negative look at Texas, and he never got over it. However, it should be mentioned that Texas has worked on building a relationship with a key figure in Waddle’s recruitment, which should help moving forward.

Ayodele Adeoye was sold on Texas up until he made an official visit to Oklahoma on the same weekend Ronnie Perkins made a commitment and Brendan Radley-Hiles gave a silent. We were told Adeoye gave a silent to the Sooners as well and intended to flip. However, Todd Orlando did a great job of putting a stop to that and getting his brother, who played for Orlando, involved in his recruitment. Texas made a huge impression on Adeoye on his official visit, but Oklahoma continued to push as Lincoln Riley met with his mother in Missouri. Adeoeye was supposed to sign at IMG’s big ceremony during the early period but abruptly left. He struggled a bit with his decision but ultimately felt like Texas was the right place for him.

Adeoye wasn’t the only Texas target to give Oklahoma a silent commit that weekend. Richland linebacker DaShaun White did the same day. But let’s rewind a bit. We were told Texas was preparing to offer White at the Stars at Night camp in the summer and had content prepared because White planned on committing. However, Texas decided to evaluate him further. He committed to Texas A&M in mid-August but actually made an Oklahoma video before switching it to A&M. Then came the aforementioned OU silent commitment in October. Texas eventually offered and blew him away on his official visit. He actually said Todd Orlando was the best coach he could play for. He was down to Texas and OU during Army Bowl week but felt OU was the better fit overall.

Nik Bonitto made an official visit to Texas, and the Longhorns shot to the top of his list. He made a trip to Oklahoma in December, but we were still hearing the Longhorns were the team to beat. Todd Orlando made an in-home visit at the time the report of him interviewing with SMU came out. Though he made a strong impression, Oklahoma used that against Texas, and the Sooners did just enough to win him over at the end. This one came down to the final few days before he gave a silent commitment right before Under Armour week. Texas was extremely close.

It's a mild rebuke, but Holland does call out his own workmate for Texas losing Bonitto

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Ojomo has a solid-looking base
    Does not turn 17 until August

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

With all of the $$$ involved this can only be limited; not stopped.

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Brockermeyer enriolls in June --

“To be honest, I’ve known probably since I took my unofficial visit a couple weeks ago that I’d end up at Texas. It was just kind of a waiting game on admissions. I got official word (on Tuesday) that I was in. knew today that I was ready to make the call.”

“I wanted to make sure with my parents that they would be okay with me going to Texas on our own dime. Once they were okay with it and supported me, I was on board. I kind of look back at Baker Mayfield, his recruitment, I kind of see some similarities that we both have some small offers, but both want to pay big-time football.”

“I just got the vibe that Texas is on its way back. I honestly believe we’ll be able to compete for a national championship during my four years there. That’s something I wanted to be a part of.”

• Like Like x 1
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is some of IT's version of the behind-the-scenes 2018 recruiting stories --

".... One of the more easy to predict players to end up in the class was Casey Thompson. The second he was offered he seemed destined for Austin. His father went to OU but the Sooners decided on some guy named Cameron Rising. Herman and Beck spent tons of personal time on the Thompson recruitment. During the Junior Day Beck brought both Thompson and Justin Rogers (TCU signee) into his office and per Rogers told both of them Thompson would be his choice.After North Carolina tried to convince him the Tar Heels were a football school, Thompson committed to Texas soon after. He actually told me us was going to Texas at the Under Armour regional camp. Then a funny thing happened.

Herman won over Cam Rising the second he sang his mother’s elementary school song, the same school Herman happened to attend in Simi Valley. Oregon, LSU, and Michigan pursued late, but Rising fell in love with Austin and is already being viewed as a potential class leader after less than a month on campus.

There was some initial fear how Thompson would react to Rising but obviously he didn't care. I saw screen caps of people close to Thompson to a friend of mine that consistently reiterated how Thompson couldn't wait to get to Austin to compete.

Obviously these two quarterbacks were recruited extremely well...."

• Like Like x 2
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some more IT 2018 recruiting tales --

" .... The East Texas Commitment of the Year Award would be split between two highly humble yet fiercely competitive signees, as well as the only two from East Texas - Keoantay Ingram and DeMarvion Overshown - who both knew it was Texas long before they committed.

Ingram was a silent commit soon after Junior Day in March. After being told by a former Aggie player to never attend A&M coupled with his inability to understand Orgeron on the phone, Austin made the most sense. Factor in the resume of UT's running back coach, Stan Drayton, and Ingram was blown away. It was always going to be the Longhorns, but when Herman and Drayton told him during an in-home in December that he could sign whenever he wanted - early or late - it was definitely over. Disappointingly, he felt persuaded from people close to him (who should feel ashamed) to give A&M a shot. He'd only seen one campus during his entire recruitment. He called Herman and Drayton to ensure them he wasn't wavering at all. Texas, like IT, never had a doubt for a reason. He and Overshown originally conspired to commit together, at the exact same time, but that was during torrential storms and tornadoes hitting ETX and both couldn't get good cell reception. Ingram dropped that Monday afternoon.

Overshown followed the next day. Herman's staff did such a superb job on him his sophomore year while they were in Houston. At UH, they actually held off offering him early in fear other schools would find him in the town of Arp, Texas - population 1,421 - and start building a relationship. As soon as Herman took over in Austin, Bryan Carrington pounded on the table to offer him as soon as possible. Baylor offered his little brother, Tren, in hopes of persuading him, but it was always orange house for Overshown. The staff did an incredible job with his mother and rest of the family too. When Herman stayed most of the evening in Arp on the first day coaches could go off campus and attended DeMarvion's girlfriend's basketball game, the deal was sealed....."

• Like Like x 1
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some TCU tears

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

This kid will probably put his sweat and blood into this team and will be rewarded a scholarship when it's all said and done.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Says a lot about someone that is willing to take a chance and walk on to a program rather than take the scholarship to another. As his father said, he is betting on himself.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

He is betting on himself, but is using house money (mom and dad's) to do so. Nevertheless, I remember dad's playing days, and I am very happy to see the legacy donning the burnt orange.

27. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Brockermeyer's are a fine family. And Mom and Dad will have no problem fully funding Luke's education.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Alert Mack Brown to see if he can/will help.

A longtime friend inside Bellmont told me early on that Brown "is the most hard headed son of a ***** you'll ever meet".

Does Mack need to be alerted that his status is in danger?

:hookem2:

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1