2018 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Feb 2, 2017.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I posted this somewhere else, but just an FYI Mr. Anderson lost a friend and a teammate yesterday as Rice defensive lineman Blaine Padgett was found dead in his apartment in Houston.

2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

As I posted here, Blain was the son of former Longhorn LB Mical Padgett

• Like Like x 3
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Back in the 60s DKR recruited a big kid, who played center on the Crane basketball team, which made it to the State Tournament. Really a nice guy.

Anybody know what ever happened to Bob McKay? :hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  6. LonghornCatholic

Attached Files:

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

:beertoast:LC,

Thank you. I was being facetious

• Like Like x 1
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Okay, decision day for Anderson is Saturday. Everyone happy now? Are you entertained? That’s 3 days from now. Can you survive till then?

The above was said in half-jest. Barely half, but half nonetheless.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LonghornCatholic

• Like Like x 1
  10. LonghornCatholic

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

There are other grad transfers on the radar other than Mr. Anderson

CJ Sanders (5'8,180) is leaving Notre Dame. He is a slot WR and good return man (he scored on us in 2016). He is aware of RHM's departure and the potential loss of Devin Duvernay.

Sanders also has a prior good relationship with Kris Boyd who he roomed with back at the 2014 The Opening in Oregon. Boyd's first tackle as a Longhorn was blowing up Sanders on a punt return.

He is taking his time but we are in the mix

ps -- Sanders once played a young Ray Charles in the movie Ray.

-------------------------

There is also another grad transfer we are in hot pursuit of who's name is being kept under wraps for now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Horns R Back

Horns R Back 250+ Posts

• Like Like x 8
  13. RainH2burntO

Word to yo mutha.
    :hookem:

• Like Like x 4
  14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Anderson is in the orange house.

• Like Like x 6
  15. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

:yippee::yippee::yippee:

• Like Like x 1
  16. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Welcome to the 40 young man. You made a very good choice! Glad that you understand that - :ousucks:
    :bevo::hookem::bevo::hookem::bevo::hookem::bevo:

• Like Like x 3
  17. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Quite possibly our bridge to the future, and a return to greatness. If we can coach that side of the ball, we will perhaps immediately be a force to be reckoned with.

18. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I have to think that if our quarterbacks have a pocket and our backs aren't dodging tacklers in the backfield that things might look quite different. I'm not taking up for Beck but there was a siege mentality going on in my view which possibly led to some dubious decisions.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I am so not in the Beck camp. If his role is not deminished in the fall I will lower my expectations, and be extremely disappointed.

20. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Boom! This is huge! I am all in for 2018! Hook em Horns means something again!

• Like Like x 3
  21. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Very nice. Hope Calvin plays well for the Longhorns and realizes his dream of the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  23. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

With Nelson leaving and what is shaping up to be some decent depth on the OL, will Tope move back to DL?

• Like Like x 1
  24. RainH2burntO

Is Nelson leaving a foregone conclusion?
    Thought it was still just conjecture...

25. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Great article.

Perhaps others have previously stated it but I don't recall reading it. Among many gems, Calvin Anderson just might be THE biggest get from the 2018 recruiting class.

Everything starts in the OL for the Offense and that was the Horns Achilles heel last season IMHO. The cupboard was looking thin with Connor leaving early for the NFL plus some OL turnover. Think of all the struggles last season: injuries, inconsistency, youth, playing a different position from week-to-week, holding penalties, etc. that caused the O to sputter, make for an anemic running game and the QB's frequently having to scramble to pass or run for their lives.

Calvin won't solve all problems and challenges for the OL or the O, but he will provide a huge anchor to build a very solid - perhaps very good and experienced, 2 deep OL around. Plus he can be trusted to protect the QB's blindside.

The OL should not be an Achilles heel in 2018.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  26. Horns R Back

Horns R Back 250+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  27. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I guess after 88 pages on one year's recruiting season, this thread is slowing down.

• Like Like x 2
  28. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

88 pages = WINNING! :bevo::hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  29. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I think Calvin Anderson finally closed the book on the 2018 class. Final grade in 3-4 years.

30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

So, is our class #2 with Anderson added? Granted we only get him for one year.