2018 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jun 11, 2015.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Zarielle Green's list.. Pretty much all over the place:
    Tennessee
    Louisville
    Kansas
    UCLA
    Cal
    Georgia
    Baylor
    Texas A&M
    Rutgers
    SMU
    South Carolina

2. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I read that Charli Collier is vising UConn this weekend. With Sedona's commitment, most folks (not fans of Texas) believe that Collier will no longer consider Texas since she is primarily considered a Post. For those who are familiar with Collier's game, does it seem unlikely that she and Sedona would be on the same team? Or could Collier play Forward and Post?

3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Collier is a prototype power forward. Prince, with her size, will definitely be called upon to anchor the center. Where it gets interesting is, with Sedona's ball-handling, shooting, range, and ability to stretch defenses.. it will open up the paint for a player like Collier to go to work. All that said, those two together could be a great 1-2 punch inside.

• Like Like x 5
  4. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Not only can Collier and Prince co-exist, they can both excel together because their style of play is different. Collier is more highly skilled and more polished offensively of the two. Collier has range including out to the three point line, but I do think she shoots too many threes. Ideally, the high post would be her area. While Prince is more of a prototypical back to the basket low post player. If one were to have a hi-post/low-post game with the two, it would be devastating.

• Like Like x 3
  5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Definitely could be a deadly hi/lo combo.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

If Texas can really highlight Joyner at the PF this season, it should help on the Charli front. I agree with @brnkj - she's got such a diverse skill set, Charli is more of a PF than traditional C.

• Like Like x 4
  7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Sedona and Charli both have all the skills to stretch a defense and pull opposing bigs away from the basket, giving the other plenty of room to operate. I'm really hoping to see both of these talented youngsters at UT. They would be great together.

• Like Like x 5
  8. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Just as we were discussing Collier today, she is taking an unofficial visit to Connecticut.

https://prospectsnation.com/story/no-1-charli-collier-visit-uconn

"she maintains contact with all of the schools currently on her list: Baylor, Connecticut, Duke, Houston, Louisville, Notre Dame, Ohio State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, UCLA and USC.

"Collier previously made an unofficial visit to Texas and is planning one with Notre Dame in the coming weeks as well.

"Of her 12 schools she had 10 of them either in her home or on her school’s campus for visits this fall. College coaches are allowed to begin in-home and on-campus visits with high school prospects in the fall of their junior year now. The two she did not host this fall were Duke and South Carolina, both of which have scheduled trips out to see her in March."

9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, we did at one time have commitments from both -- Collier first, and then Sedona. So, I assume Coach A explained to them back in the day, how they would fit in at Texas. These days, despite a player's height, there just aren't too many who want to play Center in college. So, with Sedona back in the fold, that possibly gives us an advantage in signing a power forward who wants to play along side a true Center, and not have to play the Center position herself.

• Like Like x 3
  10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I guess in that scenario (Sedona at Center; Charlie at PF) that Joyner is the SF? That would be one tall frontcourt.

• Like Like x 4
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

And Megan Walker at SG? Very tall. :smile1:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Works for me. Love it when prospects shoot up the lists, #4 in both rankings.

• Like Like x 3
  13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Looks like Shae is taller than the 6-0/6-1 I usually see her listed at.

• Like Like x 6
  14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

man, the future sure looks fantastic! :yippee:

• Like Like x 1
  15. LutherIsMyDog

Texas made Lyssa Smith's top 9.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Tatum Veitenheimer and Sedona visited today

• Like Like x 3
  17. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but you read so much about her here; does Veitenheimer have an offer?

18. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

here's Sedona's tweet about her & Tatum at the game: I really want this combo at Texas. One in, one to go.
    upload_2016-10-29_21-52-11.png

• Like Like x 4
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

It's tough to know for sure. Some players (or their families or coaches) tweet when they receive offers from different schools. A coach of 2018 Lolo Davenport of Plano tweeted earlier this summer that Lolo had received an offer from Texas; had also tweeted when she received offers from Texas A&M and some other schools.

We do know that our coaches made an in-home visit with Tatum several weeks ago as part of their "tour" to visit several 2018 recruits.

20. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

OK....thanks. Whatever Karen decides is fine with me.

21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

AAS on our two 2018 verbals: Sedona Prince and Shae Routt:
    http://www.mystatesman.com/news/spo...ball-preseason-top-10-and-players-to-w/ns3qC/

• Like Like x 4
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Sedona's stat line from a 43-24 victory over Belton yesterday:

8 pts, 10 rebs, 4 blocks

From the sound of it, Belton basically had 2 of their 4 posts on her throughout the game. Her blocks may not tell the whole story as Belton only shot 14% from the floor - sounds like they didn't take/make many shots close to the basket.

23. LutherIsMyDog

Sedona and Shay have verballed as 2018 commits. If we have 5 'ships available for the 2018 class and assuming we don't take a transfer, who are the possibilities for the other three spots? I don't know as much about recruiting as the rest of you HornFans but here is my 2018 wish list; Nalyssa Smith, Madison Williams (thanks Mooo) and Tatum V (I like Tatum's spunk, spirit and that she seems to be a consistent 3pt threat which I think we are missing when Brooke graduates).

I love Charli Collier and would like for her to be a Horn but someone who has more knowledge than me will have to explain how she fits in with Sedona, Rellah and Joyner.

24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

While a lot can happen between now and two years from now when the 2018 class can first sign their LOIs, here's the projected 2018-19 roster if you assume no attrition or additions:

PGs:
    Jr. - Alecia Sutton
    Soph. - Chasity Patterson

SGs:
    Sr. - Lashann Higgs

SFs:
    Sr. - Jordan Hosey
    Jr. - Jada Underwood
    Fr. - Shae Routt

PFs:
    Sr. - Khaleann Caron-Goudreau
    Jr. - Joyner Holmes
    Soph. - Rellah Boothe

Centers:
    Sr. - Jatarie White
    Sr. - Olamide Aborowa
    Fr. - Sedona Prince

To me, the biggest need would be someone who can play shooting guard. Would have loved to be in contention for Christyn Williams out of Arkansas, but she dropped us a few weeks ago. Perhaps Honesty Scott-Grayson out of New Jersey will be a possibility; staff did make an in-home visit in September. In state, Zarielle Green of Duncanville would fill the void at SG, but doesn't look like we are in contention; but, perhaps things will change.

While Tatum Veitenheimer isn't as tall as the SGs I noted above, she can certainly shoot. She may be more of a point guard, but Coach A has shown that her PGs/SGs are interchangeable, especially if you can shoot well and distribute the ball. I do think she'd fit in well at Texas. 6'0 Lolo Davenport of Plano supposedly has an offer from Texas; not sure if she has the skills of a SG or SF; but, if she does have the offer, then our coaches know at which position(s) she could contribute.

Madison Williams is the other in-state wing player who is ranked highly nationally. Perhaps she factors in the equation.

In the front court, in-state players receiving in home visits from our coaches in September include Nalyssa Smith, Queen Egbo, and Charli Collier. Out of state, Shakira Austin out of Virginia was visited. Without knowing their complete skill sets, I'd be happy with any one of them. Would love a player who can maybe play both Center and Power Forward. From what I've read, Queen Egbo is probably the best and most natural rebounder of the lot; that type of skill and effort is definitely valuable. She seems like a very physical player who is not afraid to mix it up down low and do the dirty work when it comes to rebounding.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  25. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Nice summary. The only insight I would offer is, like you, I assumed Khale would have the same game as her twin, Audrey. I was surprised to learn that Khale will play the 2/3, whereas Audrey is definitely a 4/5.

• Like Like x 1
  26. LutherIsMyDog

Moooooo--great summary for 2018! I'm going to use it for a reference when we get into the full swing of 2018 recruiting. Thx!

27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'll be surprised if Khaleann ever plays shooting guard at Texas; I just don't think she's quick enough. Did you mean "3/4" instead of "2/3" ? I do see her as a different player than Audrey-Ann, but still consider her a forward.

28. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Let's just say Coach will not lack options. Should be a fun, fun season.

29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I can't remember if it was Coach Aston or Shell Dailey but one of them said they have very similar skill sets but different approaches - something along the lines: Audrey likes to rough it up in the paint, Khaleann is more of the traditional stretch-4.

• Like Like x 1
  30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Lolo Davenport the 6'0" guard from Plano is one the staff seems to be really high on.