2018 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jun 11, 2015.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

The time I saw Vetemheimer she was filling it up from all over. The term "shooter" is not necessarily restricted to beyond the arc... at least not from my perspective anyway.

• Like Like x 5
  2. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Does anyone know/heard anything about this kid?

3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

5. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Wonder if this is the "shooter" for the class?

6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Found this from a Hoopgurlz event last March:

2018 5’8” Joanne Allen-Taylor displayed explosion off the dribble with a nice ability to rise on her midrange pull-up. Allen-Taylor is a terrific ball handler whose combination of shooting and explosion will make her a very tough cover in the college game.

7. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

One thing that I always forget is that you can't have the best and most successful team with a roster chick full of all-Americans. You need to get 2 or maybe 3.... each and every year. The rest should be role players that fill a certain need. These role players should all want to play but most of all be good teammates that understand the reality. Therefore I would suggest we did fine in 2017 even though Walker would have been a game changer. For 2018 we have Prince as the first all-American with the second or perhaps third all-American to be determined. A post is on-board. The shooter will come. The third could come at any position. I suggest that Routt and Davenport are the good teammates and role players striving to get meaningful minutes. Let's see if this is close to being true......or just a theory from a mad scientist gone bad.

• Like Like x 5
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I agree... There have got to be a few good, solid players to come in to accept and play roles. These players, IMO, are vItal to a team's success. It keeps the team "balanced" when you have a good mixture of mentalities and fosters greater chemistry. This is just as important as having a variety of skills on the team.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Recruiting is definitely not an exact science.

And, not every McDonald's All-American is going to pan out. So, to me, that means that a coach also has to hit on some of their non- McDonald's All-American signees. One can argue that Kelsey Lang had a solid career at Texas despite not being an All-American in high school; but, I don't believe she was All Big 12 in her four seasons. Unless my memory is failing me, Coach A has not yet signed any "underrated" player who ended up earning All Big 12 First Team recognition.

10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

If the team is lucky, one of these players develops beyond what the recruiting rankings would suggest (e.g. Tynice Martin as pointed out by @Moooooo ). My primary concern is that recently these types of players have been at seemingly the same position - G/W Underwood/Routt/Davenport.

11. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Lang is an excellent example per Mooooo. I think Underwood will be good by the time she leaves. She showed some flashes of shooting, ball handling and some skills inside and out. We should see a big jump by next year. For sure more than I saw from Hosey her first year......and she made a good jump in year 2. I think Hosey may turn out better than I originally thought. She will always be a tweener but nothing wrong with that as long as she recognizes what she can do well. I have to remind myself that these recruits are juniors in high school and have a lot of change coming. I have been influenced by DKR who said something like a big dog will bite you as a pup. Perhaps someone can quote that!

12. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

It seems like I read that Chasity's 3 point shooting was 30 something per cent in high school. She probably took a lot, too, since she is a prolific shooter. As Mooooooo says, that would hopefully go up with good shot selection and open looks.

13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Chasity's 3-pt numbers are pretty respectable (Year-Makes-Attempts-%):
    Senior 101-257- 39.30%
    Junior 126-325- 38.77%
    Soph 99-247- 40.08%
    Fresh 72-210- 34.29%

Any of her rates from Sophomore to Senior would have put her second place on this year's team (I'm excluding Jada's 50% on 4 attempts):
    Brooke - 42.5%
    Ariel - 37.1%

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  14. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Good stuff DFW. When you notice that Chasity averaged 260 shots per year over her high school career....... that number is amazing for a point guard. For a 35 game season that is almost 8 shots from BTA per game ! Those are numbers for a "volume" shooter/scorer......... but when you make 40% ....then it means you are a "real" shooter. Rounding up, that means almost half her points from field goals come from BTA (26 points per game estimated subtracting free throws) . I am excited to have a shooting/scoring point guard on the team next year. I love it when a player makes no excuses........she is going to shoot it when the opportunity presents itself. Don't think we will see much of the "pack in the lane and ignore our guards outside next year" !

• Like Like x 3
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I am really excited about Chasity joining the squad next season; I just feel like she brings a lot of skills which are needed. So many teams play zone defenses against us, and there are gaps in those zones for players to attempt those mid-range jump shots. Well, a lot of our current players love taking those jump shots, but those aren't the shots they make at a high enough percentage to continue taking them. I think Chasity will help immensely in that area.

I think Tatum also has that mid-range jump shooting ability. Maybe so does Joanne Allen-Taylor; not sure. But, we need another player with that ability as Ariel and Brooke only have one season left.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Lovethegame

Lovethegame < 25 Posts

It's tough to believe all the rankings as stated a live Tynice martin killed every All America from Texas OU (Mulkey) and Baylor and wasn't ranked in espn top 100 one man can see them all and even if he does proven he doesn't always get it right. Circumstances for all kids and if you have a school like Texas recruiting you - you can play karen is one of the best at recruiting. She knows the pieces needed. And your right midrange shooters will end up ruling women's bball not the 3. But shooters are always in need.

17. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I hear a lot of talk about how we need both 3 pt shooters and pull-up jump shooters. Both are true, of course. But I don't think Ariel is our only good pull-up jump shooter. I think Lashann is pretty darned good, too. She may not elevate quite as much, but she often nails it. I think I saw Sug shoot that shot some this year, too, though I saw more floaters and 3 point shots from her. Jada seems to have shooting potential from everywhere. I wait for Joyner to get a little better. The more the merrier. Bring on Chasity, Rellah, Tatum,Joanne Allen-Taylor, and whoever else.

• Like Like x 2
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Sedona named to TABC 4A All-State team. Tatum on 2A All-State.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Just my opinion, but shooting does not come naturally to Lashann. She continues to improve, which is great. And, she is going to hit the occasional 3-pointer, and some of her mid-range jumpers do fall (not at a high percentage, IMO). But, her release is slow and not nearly as fluid as that of "shooters" like Ariel and Brooke. Part of this is the fewer number of years which Lashann has played basketball; and, the difference in coaching (of mechanics) during her youth prior to coming to the US. Kind of affects her free-throw shooting form, a well.

Alecia has a beautiful shot, IMO. And, she looks very comfortable at the free throw line. Her issue right now is confidence; perhaps that stems from recovering from injury and being tentative overall while on the court. Hoping we see her true shooting abilities next season.

After Ariel, Brooke, and Alecia, I would say Kelsey has the next best mid-range jumper of the remainder of the team. Doesn't hesitate taking the wide open shot, and we've seen her hit several in a game many times. And, looks very comfortable at the free throw line.

Jada has potential with her mid-range game. She just needs more minutes. She was slowed down by an injury and then a concussion, I believe. But, we have seen her hit some nice jumpers when given the chance and when within the flow of the offense.

I don't think it's a coincidence that teams with good "shooters" are also the teams which excel at the free throw line.

• Like Like x 2
  20. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I agree with much of your analysis, but not about Lashann. I'm not going to look up percentages, but I thought I had seen her swish the nets quite a few times this year. Her form is not classic, and she does throw up some bricks. But so do Ariel and others, except for Brooke, who seldom shoots a brick. If hers don't go in, they are darned close. Ariel has the most beautiful free throw on the team. I think Lashann has an issue with confidence as much as Sug does. You see it in her hesitation, which is maybe what you mean by slow release, and the coaches have talked about how she gets down on herself. It's actually Joyner's mechanics which have worried me the most. I think all of them will continue to improve with maturity and a lot of gym time.

• Like Like x 1
  21. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

As I usually do, I agree with Joe Dallas regarding Lashann. I too believe she tends to get down on herself and, in turn, she will hesitate and pass the ball rather than taking an open shot. Lashann is an instinctive player who is best when she is slashing to the basket or relying on her speed and quickness to find an open shot. I've noticed that Karen will pull her out of the game after she shoots too soon (and misses) rather than making the extra pass on the called play. Afterwards, Lashann seems hesitant to shoot because she knows she is "supposed" to run the offense. Therefore, she starts thinking too much rather than relying on her instincts and athleticism. I hope there is an in between for LaShann, where the coaches trust her to ad lib and she can still be a part of the flow of running the offense.

We can be a great team next year as Higgs, Sutton and Underwood continue to develop and mature. As good as McCarty, Atkins and Joyner have been this year, they haven't reached their full potential. All of those players, with the addition of White, Patterson and Boothe can be very special. Hopefully, Karen can keep the chemistry in balance because there will be a lot of players fighting for playing time.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  22. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

LutherIsMyDog, you and I see Lashann exactly the same way. I agree with everything else you said, too. We're going to be pretty darned good next year.

• Like Like x 2
  23. LutherIsMyDog

Our thoughts must resonate because I was raised in Comanche and you were raised in Goldthwaite. We've got that Indian and Eagle mojo. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  24. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Luther, wow! Comanche...I had no idea. Great town. My great-uncle was busted out of jail and lynched by a vigilante mob there in the late 1870's, but I don't have any hard feelings. Comanche has quite a history of good girls teams. You're probably not old enough to remember Linda Andrews Waggoner. She became a fantastic player here at UT. Wonderful shot, small but tough, BB IQ out the roof. Same qualities as Brooke. Apparently our part of Texas breeds great basketball minds, right?

• Like Like x 2
  25. LutherIsMyDog

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt with my age but I knew Linda and Sissy Andrews (and their youngest sister Lisa) very well as they lived across the street from me. I was lucky enough to be coached by their mom, Leta Andrews, when I was in 7th and 8th grade, before they moved to Corpus Christi. The Comanche Maidens had an impressive run with Leta as our coach.

One of my high school teachers lived/lives in Goldthwaite and a couple of the girls I went to high school with dated Jett Johnson.
    I still love the countryside in the Comanche, Priddy, Zephyr and Goldthwaite area and would love to have a few acres in that area one day.

My appreciation for WBB obviously stems from my youth and my exposure to good, fundamental basketball. That's why I hope Tatum V becomes a Horn. I think she has a high bball IQ, is great at distributing the ball and can nail the three or drive into the paint for the pull up jumper. Although I'll be very disappointed if the Horns don't win on Friday, I'm very excited about the future of this team.

Glad to have a semi-hometown connection with you Joe D. Maybe we'll meet one day.

• Like Like x 2
  26. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Whoever might be reading, excuse us for the personal talk. Just a few words more. I wonder what it was like to play for the legend, Leta Andrews. Jett is a family friend. His parents and my parents were real good friends. Love the area, too (though the wind turbines haven't done much for the landscape). I, too, have high hopes that Tatum V will come here. Yea, maybe we'll meet sometime. It's cool to feel like I actually sort of know someone on this board.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Thanks you 2....I'm just enjoying the back and forth...lol

• Like Like x 2
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, I guess it's all about perspective. Players can be labelled as to what they are, and what they are not (through our eyes). I have always stated that Lashann is a "slasher" and a "scorer". But, in my opinion, she is not a "shooter". Brooke and Ariel are "shooters", IMO.

Some players look more comfortable shooting jump shots than others. Whether it's confidence, technique, mechanics, etc., the differences are definitely visible throughout our roster.

• Like Like x 3
  29. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Texas is in Tatum's final 7:

• Like Like x 4
  30. LutherIsMyDog

Glad to see some first hand recruiting info on Tatum. I don't have any inside info but I bet our toughest competition is from OU and TCU. For some reason, I can't see her attending a college as far away as UCLA (although UCLA will be a great visit for her). She seems to value her elite basketball team friendships with Sedona and Lauren Heard, etc., which would obviously be a plus for us. OU concerns me as it's close to her home and Tatum seems like a player that Sherri Coale will covet. Although she probably tries to remain neutral, it can't hurt that when Heather Schreiber played at Texas, Jamie Carey was her teammate and Coach Aston was an assistant coach.

• Like Like x 1