2018 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jun 11, 2015.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

From a girlzprepreport article on the DFW Elite Marchfest:
    Lauren “Lolo” Davenport-guard (Pro Skills EYBL) I’m sort of speechless about this young lady, she was definitely a player when I caught her 4 or 5 years ago but that growth spurt elevated not only her game but where she’d land in college, she’s heading to Texas. Smart scorer that creates and can get her shot off whenever she wants plus defense has taken off, like her game.

Queen Egbo-post (Cy Fair Premier) she was a D1 player after I saw her block what seemed like 100 shots in a game as a freshman, okay it was 10 but the way she did it caught my eye. Over the years, she’s added more on the offensive side, battles in the paint on both ends and plays defense inside and on perimeter.

Also a blurb on 2020 De'Yona Gaston...
    http://girlzprepreport.com/real-archive/616-2017-dfw-elite-marchfest-tip-sheet

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Sedona was named to the all Central Texas First Team. She's really worked on her face up game a lot - if she can pull the other team's big out of the paint, Joyner and Rellah could put up monster numbers. She seems like a real character who should fit right in at UT.

C: Sedona Prince, 6-7, jr., Liberty Hill

Recognized as the District 19-4A MVP, Prince averaged 15.2 points and 9.2 rebounds while converting 61 percent of her shots. She also blocked more than five shots a game to help Liberty Hill reach the Class 4A state-title game.

Did you know: A Texas Longhorns pledge, Prince said she likes to prepare for games by eating peanut butter and bananas and listening to jazz.

3. Lovethegame

Lovethegame < 25 Posts

• Like Like x 1
  4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for the post. Shae is one we don't ever get much information on - didn't know she was dealing with an injury: "2018 Shae Routt is also back from injury (always good news) to add talent to the roster."

5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Zarielle Green replaces Baylor with Georgia. Was hoping we'd somehow do what Georgia managed.

6. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

fyi....

• Like Like x 1
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Same here. Went to see Joyner in a game against Duncanville last year - Joyner got into early foul trouble and was really pressing. On that night, Zarielle was the best player on the floor.

8. Lovethegame

Lovethegame < 25 Posts

saw Zay with Dfw elite play head to head with Tatum at Marchfest. I would say most in the building would say Tatum won the battle that day. Doesn't me anyone one is better just means Joyner zay and Tatum all good players. I will say I am glad zay no longer has Baylor on her list.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

She seems to really like South Carolina; paying her way for an unofficial visit definitely indicates there is serious interest:

10. LutherIsMyDog

Yep, I agree. From little tweets back and forth, I think South Carolina likes her too.

11. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

If they can start official visits this weekend, maybe South Carolina paid???

12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yes, you are right. I keep forgetting how early official visits can start:

13. LutherIsMyDog

Another tweet from Nikki. I believe the last photo is with her parents.

14. LutherIsMyDog

For those of you who follow recruiting, what are our true needs as you see our roster filling out over the next couple of years (assuming our current commitments stick for 2018-2020)? I think Karen might surprise us with a transfer or going out of state to target a recruit.

• Like Like x 2
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Girlzprepreport on Lolo from weekend before last:

Lauren “LoLo” Davenport-guard (Pro Skills) knew she was a legitimate D1 player before her growth spurt and now standing a shade over 6’0, she has simply taken her game to another level bringing multiple dimensions of ways to score. That pull-up is a work of art, strong finisher, attacks from anywhere but can shoot the ball mid to long range well.

16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

The way her recruitment is trending, I would consider Nalyssa 'found money' if she ends up at UT. I'd like to see her in burnt orange but S Carolina seems like the front runner:

17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Bottom line is that Nalyssa may not have publicly trimmed her list to coincide with the allowed 5 official visits, but South Carolina is obviously in her top 5 list. When she did mention that she would announce her commitment on August 28th (her brother's birthday, I think), that kind of implies she has a fairly good idea where she is going.

For us, glad she has attended a couple our games for unofficial visits. She did the same for Baylor. Will be interesting to see if she takes 4 more official visits somewhere between now and end of August, or makes an early verbal to South Carolina.

18. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  19. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I follow recruiting, but it's a passive interest; I don't keep track of HS players like others on this board do so well. But I agree 100% with you that Karen may be done with 2018 HS recruits and is saving her two available ships for transfers or complete surprise non-Texas targets.

I don't like going into 2018 with only three bona fide guards, but I trust Karen is too good a recruiter to let that happen. That, or she knows tweener players like Routt and Davenport are better than we think as productive guards.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Recruiting is heavily about timing and balancing the numbers for the future (1-3 years in advance in some cases).

A couple of years ago, Coach Aston decided to accept the incoming transfer of Khaleann Caron-Goudreau; that resulted in one less scholarship available for the 2016 class. I thought perhaps we were targeting Duncanville's Ciera Johnson to be part of a 4-player class; but, we ended up with a 3-player class.

Last year, Coach Aston decided to accept the transfer of Jatarie White. The plan for the 2017 class may have been to sign 4 players; but, that diminished by one due to the transfer.

Right now, with Foman's status for 2017-18 not having been made public, we only have one immediate opening for any incoming signee/transfer to join the program. That number could increase if anyone leaves the program.

Obviously, the number of recruits we can sign for the 2018 class (and our needs) depends on what happens in the next few months as far as incoming/outgoing transfers. We have 3 verbal commitments for 2018; looks like in-state recruits on our radar are NaLyssa Smith, Queen Egbo, and Joanne Allen-Taylor; maybe there are others. Out of state players' interest is tougher to gauge (unless we read that we are in their Top 5 or the like).

If we don't add any new players between now and start of Fall classes, then we have up to 5 scholarships available for the class of 2018; but, always the chance we don't sign the maximum available and save for the future (2019).

• Like Like x 1
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Lolo getting some recognition - gets to spend a little more time in Austin.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Wrong recruiting year, but Littleton would allay my guard concern quite nicely.

• Like Like x 3
  23. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Not sure if we were recruiting Desiree before she committed to Tech. Her Dad has resigned his position at Tech and Desiree has reopened her recruitment. Also wonder if Recee is staying at Tech, given that she has already transferred once.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Excuse my confusion, but you mention Recee' because they are sisters? Also, were the schools mentioned for Desiree's visits?

25. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Sorry. Yes, they are sisters. Not sure of the two visits she has set for June. I think you have to pay Prospectsnation for inside info.

26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Current and former players out at QueenoftheSouth watching Lolo. Can't hurt recruiting at all when you have the reigning Big 12 FOTY/All Conference player around very talented high school recruits. Joyner, Jada and Empress:

Evidently Sug tagged along - her Missouri Phenom squad is playing at Queen of the South as well. Noticed one of their younger age bracket teams is named 'Missouri Phenom - Sug'.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  28. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Karen Aston and George Washington in Raleigh catching Queen Egbo's Cy-Fair Premier team.

29. LutherIsMyDog

Is this the same Cy Fair team that Sedona and Deja are on?

30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

No - Deja and Sedona are on Cy Fair Elite (in DFW this weekend). These AAU/EYBL teams are confusing as hell. Cy Fair Elite is just nuts though: Deja, Sedona, Charli Collier, Jordyn Merritt, Christyn Williams, Jaden Owens and Madison Williams.

• Like Like x 1