2018 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Prospect Nation on Queen:

https://prospectsnation.com/story/psb-elite-32

Head to Head: Amira Collins and Queen Egbo

One of the marquee matchups of the day was a head to head meeting between two of the top 25 prospects in the class of 2018, Amira Collins of Team Takeover and Queen Egbo of Cy-Fair Premier. While the two didn't guard each other, but for a few short stretches, it was impressive to see two high caliber athletes battle it out on the floor and get to play through contact. Collins, who is committed to Tennessee, was active around the rim early and then expanded her game to the perimeter where she showed the ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. Egbo was explosive around the basket pulling down a high volume of rebounds and blocking and changing a large volume of shots from the weakside.

• Like Like x 3
  2. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Looks like the coaches snagged Audrey Warren! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 6
  3. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Welcome to Texas, Audrey! :hookem2:

4. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Welcome to Texas, Audrey! That obviously means that Lolo Davenport will be looking at another school. Wherever Lolo ends up I wish her the best.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Congrats to Audrey! I think our staff is really putting an emphasis on players who can shoot the ball.

As to how our latest two commitments affect our other SG/W targets, time will tell. It is safe to assume that the door has closed on most of them.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Anxious to see if Queen Egbo releases her list of finalists soon; she had said "July" previously, but that could always change, obviously.

While it appears we could be done with 2018 recruiting, I get the feeling we may still have one slot open.

• Like Like x 3
  8. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I too believe we have an additional spot for the right player. Just a hunch.

9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

From a 2017 HS Playoff preview:

"Boswell has one of the fastest rising 2018 recruits currently in the country in Audrey Warren. They have only dropped 3 games all season and play an exciting style of basketball. Warren is a big wing that really makes them go. Some very sound players and a few really good athletes complement her."

• Like Like x 3
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I've seen Audrey listed anywhere from 5-7 to 5-11. Based on the photo above, I'd say she's a lot closer to 5-11 which would be great if she's a 2-3 hybrid.

• Like Like x 3
  11. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I don't know much about these players, but I've been sold on Audrey Warren since Ellis21d's evaluation of her after the camp.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I really enjoyed that recent article on Audrey Warren. She talked about joining the Cy-Fair club team knowing good and well that it was already stacked with elite talent, and she would have to compete and earn her playing time, while also filling a role on the team as needed. Great outlook for someone so young.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I am of the same mind as Mooooo and Luther in that I would be surprised if Texas has given up on Queen Egbo. She is just so athletic and can really sky! I also believe Texas needs another BIG in this class.

• Like Like x 4
  14. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Does someone have a latest list of 2018 commits and then append a "we have a shot at" as well? Assuming that we suddenly find a scholarship spot?

15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I had been wondering why her club team announced her commitment prior to anything directly tweeted by Audrey; but, I guess she finally tweeted last night:

• Like Like x 2
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

2018 Commits:
    Sedona Prince
    Shae Routt
    Joanne Allen-Taylor
    Audrey Warren

Off the top of my head, targets that haven't officially eliminated Texas (that I know of):
    Nalyssa Smith
    Queen Egbo
    Honesty Scott-Grayson
    Lolo Davenport
    Christyn Williams
    Jessika Carter

Who am I missing, @Moooooo ?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Has anyone noticed that Baylor and Coach "Be careful what you wish for!" Does not have any 2018 commitments as yet! I would expect her to come in very strong down the stretch. Baylor has only 10 girls on the team this upcoming season with 2 seniors so she has 7 positions open for 2018 recruits. Would not be surprised to see her get many of the girls we have been coveting for Texas. My best guess would be Chrystn Williams, Aquira DeCosta, NaLyssa Smith, Zarielle Green, Queen Egbo, Lolo Davenport and Madison Williams all go her way. That is a big chunk of the remaining ESPN top 25 players. She is a ruthless Coach but you have to admit Mulkey knows how to win and Baylor does have one heck of a fan base. A&M may get one or two steals out of that group as I believe they may have some momentum with the signing of Chennedy Carter who looked exceptional on the USA WBB U19 team!

18. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

You pretty much nailed it, DFW.

Madison Williams would be the other recruit as she did attend our summer camp.

While not all recruits update their lists of schools under consideration, I don't get the feeling we are still involved with Nalyssa Smith (she indicated we weren't in her top 4).

Queen Egbo will hopefully announce her list of finalists soon, so that could tell us if we are still under consideration.

Honesty Scott-Grayson recently announced we were still under consideration.

Lolo Davenport, who decommitted prior to our summer camp but still attended, could still be an option, but I'm not feeling it. I believe she is cousins with Baylor freshman, Trinity Oliver, and 2019 Baylor commit, Jordyn Oliver. Perhaps Baylor showed her interest early this summer and that led to her opening up her recruitment. Again, I am speculating on where things might stand.

Christyn Williams, who added as back us her 6th school under consideration after previously having eliminated us, did attend our summer camp. But, perhaps she has since let our coaches know that she was moving in a different direction, and that led to our recent commits from Allen-Taylor and Warren,. Of course, we could still be holding a spot for her.

Jessika Carter out of Georgia hasn't trimmed her list from her prior top ten or so. I'm not feeling this one unless she schedules an official visit with us for the Fall.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  20. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Kim will get some good ones, but I would be surprised if she gets your entire list, Ellis21d. I think there's good chance Williams, DeCosta, and Smith might go elsewhere (Williams - UConn? Smith -- South Carolina? DeCosta -- can't remember her finalists but I don't know of any Texas ties). I sort of doubt that Egbo and NaLyssa Smith go to the same place. If all those players go to Baylor, then I'm getting nervous. You may have nailed it, though.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

It is somewhat odd that with only 3.5 months left until National Signing Day, Baylor has no verbal commits for the class of 2018. Most Top 25 programs have at least one verbal commitment to date.

I was expecting Baylor to add some transfers this past off-season, but they struck out with their 2 or 3 targets. So, they remain at 10 players on their roster for the upcoming season.

Even though they will have 7 scholarships at minimum for the 2018 class, I doubt they will sign 7 high school seniors as that would result in some very unbalanced classes. But, Mulkey could also tap the international or JUCO ranks.

It's been unusually quiet this summer as far as their fans posting about which players attended their camp; perhaps I missed it. So, that doesn't give many hints as to which players have been on their campus recently.

They do seem to be involved with a lot of out of state recruits. And, they seem to be competing with Ohio State and Louisville for many of them.

Personally, I think Christyn Williams goes to UConn, Nalyssa Smith goes to South Carolina, and Zarielle Green (who did not include Baylor among her top 5 schools) goes to Texas A&M. That still leaves plenty of other recruits to land; have to believe Mulkey will get her share. I've posted before that my suspicious nature leads me to believe that Lolo Davenport will end up signing with Baylor.

Have no idea how much the Baylor football scandal is having an effect on the other athletic programs as it relates to recruiting; if it deters even one recruit from considering Baylor, then it's having an effect, though.

For all we know, maybe Mulkey wants a smaller roster and has no intent on using all 15 allotted scholarships. All coaches differ with their roster management.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  22. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Queen's final four list: :hookem2:

• Like Like x 7
  23. LutherIsMyDog

Karen "liked" and "Re-Tweeted" the Tweet. So, I would hope that indicates we still have a ship to give.

• Like Like x 4
  24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

For her? If it comes to it, list her on the track team as a high jumper.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Not sure if you are kidding. You might not be aware, but you can't play basketball if only on track scholarship. There is a hierarchy for women's sports, and hoops is at the top. Volleyball is second, I think; that is why Sara Hattis had to transition from her volleyball scholarship to a basketball scholarship in order to also play hoops for Texas.

26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Joking.

27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I think it must.

But, that one 'ship might go to whichever recruit commits first. But, that might only apply to a couple of recruits high on our coaches' wishlist. Some other targets lower on the wishlist might not have that luxury.

28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Glad we made the cut. I'm guessing she will take her official visits beginning in September.

I'm not surprised Baylor or Mississippi State made cut. Had not seen anything about her and FSU. Surprised A&M did not make the cut. She attended their summer camp last month, and I recall her taking an unofficial visit to A&M last Fall.

For us and Baylor, being close to home has to help. I won't discount FSU as every time I do, they land the player in question. MSU likes those post players who play defense and rebound; I recall her tweeting things about MSU when they beat Baylor in the Elite 8.

All four programs probably plan to play her at both Center and Power Forward; have no idea which position she'd prefer to play, but she obviously is comfortable enough with what the head coaches at each school conveyed to her as far as how she will be utilized.

Fingers crossed as she's my pick to fill our final slot (assuming we only have one left).

• Like Like x 2
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  30. LutherIsMyDog

Good points Moooo. You've been a fan of Queen Egbo for a while and I'm now part of the club. The combination of Queen and Sedona with the "shooters" in the 2017 and 2018 classes would create a very skilled and balanced team. It will provide a lot of fun and flexibility with player combinations and strategy.

Now we wait for her visits and try to interpret the tea leaves as they appear on our Twitter feeds.

• Like Like x 4