2018 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jun 11, 2015.

1. HornsLewis

HornsLewis 25+ Posts

Williams is not 5'10". I was at the game when she played Patterson in Virginia. She is taller than Patterson but not 5'10" taller. When I'm thinking of small forward I'm thinking of 6'2" or taller. Sorry

2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

No problem, HornLewis. Simply going by the listed height in Prospects Nation (5-10) and Hoopgurlz (5-11). I haven't seen her in person.

3. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

In all this, there has been a sentiment that says, "One of our redshirt juniors may not come back". Hmmmm. Maybe there's truth in that. Logic would state that if Texas was absolutely full and there were no available scholarship, they would quit recruiting. And if they quit recruiting, then these high school girls wouldn't keep having Texas listed in their top-whatevers. Maybe.

4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Christyn and Destiny at the World 3x3 - Destiny is listed as 5-9 on the UT roster and that information is usually reliable.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

To summarize, seems like we are definitely still involved with Christyn Williams and Queen Egbo, who both have us in their Top 5/4. And, we were last mentioned as being in the top for out-of-state prospects like Honesty Scott-Grayson and Jessika Carter.

With Queen living in Fort Bend and dealing with the recent flooding, I'm sure she has more pressing issues than official visits; but, those should be coming up over the next few weeks/months.

• Like Like x 3
  6. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  7. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  8. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Queen Egbo must be in ATX/UT this weekend. I would assume it is her official visit but would like confirmation. Either way it's positive news. For those of you that don't follow Twitter, there's been a lot of "likes" attributed to Queen's tweets from the players and coaches.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

from the posts by jusme828 yesterday, looks like Queen Egbo is visiting Texas with at least Joanne Allen-Taylor. I am glad she has at least one player from her class that has already verbaled to Texas visiting as well. Can't hurt.

• Like Like x 3
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Some folks mis-tweeting (or perhaps I mis-read them).

Looks like Nalyssa Smith committed to Baylor.

12. LutherIsMyDog

I'm not surprised she chose Baylor. Hopefully this reduces the chance BU gets Acosta.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I'm not surprised either. Sure will be fun watching Sedona (and hopefully Queen) go up against Smith for four years.

• Like Like x 3
  14. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I hope it reduces the chance BU gets Queen!

15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, we know for sure that Joanne Allen-Taylor in on her official visit to Texas this weekend; and, we are assuming Queen Egbo is, as well, based on her "Austin, TX" tweet.

Wonder if Sedona Prince and Shae Routt will be on their official visits, too; being local, they can pretty much take their official visit just about any time they want. With Sedona and Christyn Williams playing on the same club team, it won't surprise me if Sedona takes her official visit the same weekend Christyn does in October.

Last year, Coach A brought in bunch of high-level recruits for unofficial visits for the Sunday, Labor Day weekend football game against Notre Dame. Unfortunately, we don't have a marquee game like that at home this season.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  17. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Maybe we will see more about which recruits are here during/after the football game tomorrow.

18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Mechanical Engineering? Smart young lady.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Never seem to hear/read anything about Shae Routt. It's cool that she could be the first legacy hoopster to play at Texas; but, the lack of information makes me wonder where things stand with her and Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I honestly don't think Shae's offer will be pulled. She may have had a long rehab from her ACL injury, but I CAN say that she and her parents were at almost every game last season. Again, hopefully we see some pictures of the recruits on campus during the football game tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Shae just seems like a private, go about her business type of kid - a grinder. Add in an extensive rehab period and I'm not surprised we haven't heard more about/from her.

• Like Like x 2
  22. LutherIsMyDog

Confirmation from Raoul that Queen was on her official visit to Texas

• Like Like x 2
  23. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Lolo Davenport was at Delaware. Wonder if she will follow in EDD's footsteps in going there?

24. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Obviously, I would love for Queen Egbo to commit to Texas sooner rather than later. But, I have to assume she will take her remaining visits. I never underestimate Florida State any more when it comes to recruiting; they are having a very good fortune recruiting all over the country. And, of course, if Baylor gets her last visit, that's reason for concern; Mulkey has proven that she is dangerously efficient when a recruit gives Baylor their last official visit.

Will be very interesting to see if we get official visits from Jessika Carter and Honesty Scott-Grayson who officially visited Miami and Ole Miss this past weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  26. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Looks like S. Carolina is trying to get back in the Williams sweepstake.
    upload_2017-9-9_22-41-34.png

27. LutherIsMyDog

Good catch Babhorn. I wonder if SC can get a visit from Williams. If so, which school gets bumped?

28. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Recruiting must be a strange business. I don't know the specifics, but it seems odd (as in rude) when a player has announced their 5 finalists and their 5 visits have been officially scheduled to try to horn in and get them to change their mind. Of course, for all I know, that behavior may be par for the course and completely accepted in the world of recruiting. Maybe CW had given some indication to USC that she was open to this, or maybe she and her family just didn't want to be rude and tell Dawn no.

29. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

You never stop recruiting a player you want until they sign on the dotted line (NLI) with another college. Coaches really can't afford to not continue to make an effort to get in the conversation. Especially with a player like Williams. Not basketball related but think of all the FB recruits that Texas has flipped over the past few years AFTER they have committed. Recruiting doesn't stop as long as there is a chance.

A player will need to be the one to continue to say "no" unless that player feels that maybe, she might have missed something when trimming her list. And the defending national champion will at least get a chance to talk to the player. Hard to fault Williams for giving S. Carolina the time to make a last appeal. Not only the defending national champs but the upcoming Olympic head coach.

• Like Like x 2
  30. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Obviously we don't know what's really going on. I'm sure USC offered CW from the beginning and already made a big pitch, and she did not see them as one of her 5 favorites. Something might have changed in CW's thinking, or maybe not and USC is just continuing to press. I'm certainly not faulting Williams. In fact, I'm not faulting anyone, if that's the way it is done, but I wouldn't want the job. I recall Jody saying recruiting was the one part of the job of head coach she didn't like. I don't know much about the process, but I have heard stories of recruiters almost debasing themselves to try to get these kids to come. And then sometimes being in an awkward spot, having practically promised the world, and then having to treat the kids realistically, like the 17 and 18 year olds they are. I don't mean to diss Staley, certainly not Karen, and not anyone in particular. Thank goodness, Karen seems to know how to do the recruiting thing just right.