2018 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Would’ve been nice to have a 4th Texas on there but, that being said...:fiestanana::fiestanana::fiestanana::fiestanana:

• Like Like x 2
  3. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Well the bad news is Warren is not in their top 100. The good news is that I believe that is a huge error. Just got back from watching her tonight. Will have my fair and biased scouting report later tonight.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

6. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

42. About. Warren’s total in a little over 3 quarters. I didn’t really keep an accurate count as it was tough to jot down my impressions and keep an accurate count. It’s in the ballpark and could have been more. So here are my random thoughts jotted down.
    1. 12/7/12/11 quarter points and sitting out last 4 minutes.
    2. Boswell has a really good team. They were a playoff team last year and could make lots of noise in the playoffs.
    3. Southlake Carroll is very average team so not the best gauge. However, Warren did some things tonight that would play against a much better team.
    4. Anticipates well and jumps hard at making a play when the opportunity presents.
    5. Very average rebounder. However, she got a few defensive bounds and took it coast to coast but most were 2/3 court passes to teammates.
    6. Excellent court vision. Sees things others don’t.
    7. Not foul prone. Only had 2 and those were almost inadvertent.
    8. Excellent passing form, especially two handed chest passes down court. She has some flair to her passing in the offensive zone. A few one handed passes for scores that surprised players and fans......really impressive.
    9. Athletic .
    10. Selfless. Played well within team offenses and defenses.
    11. Excellent body and face language. Mature approach.
    12. LLLOOONNNGGG range shooter. She made 2 tonight and the one ending first quarter was probably 30 plus feet with perfect form. She warms up like 3 feet back from arc.
    13. Pure shooter. Wonderful form. She scored on drives, mid-range, put-backs, 3 pointers and free throws. Just a scorer. Very confident.
    14. Really good handle. Either hand, between the legs. Can’t overplay either hand.
    15. Excellent court IQ. Just knows how to play the game. She never forced anything that wasn’t there. Let the game come to her, involved teammates, and made the play when it opened up.
    16. Average defender. I think she can be a good defensive player but she is asked to do so much .........that part of her game had to be average.
    17. Quick at times._____with a nose for the ball.
    18. Looks a legitimate 5-11. A true small forward that could play shooting guard.
    19. Smooth is a good descriptor and she has another gear and can explode when the opportunity exists .....and with some flair.
    20. Finisher.

So in summary, I think she just hasn’t had the exposure that others have. I certainly think she is in the top 100 in the country and perhaps top 50. I have scouted other players that Texas has committed and recruited and have written less than stellar reports on some. In the case of Warren, I think she is better than advertised. I think Horns fans will be pleasantly surprised when they see her play. Can you tell I am excited about what I saw tonight?

• Like Like x 7
  7. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Flash-Great report. Thank you for taking the time to go to Warren's game and giving us such a detailed review.

• Like Like x 1
  8. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Dog......you get what you pay for with my fair and biased opinions. Warren only had 38 points instead of the 42. I will see her again against The Colony later this month and see how that goes. TC was 36-2 last year and has 4 starters back.......minus their big post. So that will be a good calibration of my euphoria. Regardless .....she is a player.

• Like Like x 2
  9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I know her signing event isn’t until 3:30 but I just saw this:

In the past these were sent after the LOI was officially in. Charli retweeted it so it doesn’t seem like they jumped the gun.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  11. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

A guess: She sent in THE FAX (really?) this morning. She's going to do a symbolic signing in the gym with the boys in the afternoon.

12. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

LaFontaine for Boswell stood out as well. Glad to see she has a Texas Tech offer. She appears to be about 6 foot forward who plays center for them. The coaching staff at Boswell is really good.....had them playing different defenses, full court, traps, etc. Well coached team.

• Like Like x 3
  13. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

thanks for the report on Warren, flash.
    Hopefully, I can go see her and her team when they play in the Hays tournament.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Great Report Flash!! I think you hit it right on the head when you said smooth. I noticed that in all the videos I saw of her. She played on that CyFair Elite travel team with Charlie & Sedona (and others top players) and that was one of the best teams in the country! She is a top 50 top player in the country in my most unbiased opinion! (well maybe a little biased!)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  19. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  20. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Awesome looking group!! :hookem2:

From Texas WBB on Tiwtter

The Fab Four #FAM is complete.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://www.texassports.com/news/2017/11/8/womens-basketball-signs-nations-no-2-recruiting-class.aspx
    talk about recruiting!

• Like Like x 2
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  25. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

What a classs...I'm psyched. Also nice to see Retha Swindell, the first real post in UT WBB history. At 6'2", she seemed so tall back then. As well as Pennee Hall.

• Like Like x 3
  26. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://www.hookemplus.com/story/off...s-sedona-prince-long-time-coming-texas-women/
    Love's Prince's confidence and the impact she expects to have:
    Wonder if this line was left over from last year's story on Texas signees:

• Like Like x 1
  27. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Anyone help me out here? What caught my eye was the statement:
    "It is the highest-rated recruiting class for the Longhorns since 2006, when Texas boasted the nation's No. 1 recruiting class...."

Okay, since we're talking 2018 class here, that assumes that they start play in 2018. So the 2006 class...I went to the 2006-2007 roster:
    http://www.texassports.com/roster.aspx?roster=167&path=wbball
    And the freshmen on that class were....meh.
    I wonder if they were talking about 2005-2006 roster:
    http://www.texassports.com/roster.aspx?roster=166&path=wbball
    I think the headliner in that class was Erika Arriaran..who had a solid, if not spectacular career at UT.

I ask because all these rankings really pump you up, but the actual next 4 years are mostly different.

28. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

The 06/07 season would have been Jody's last year. Gail arrived in 2007. I'm pretty sure the author of the article just has his/her facts wrong.

29. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Yes, its an iffy business, though I do believe the ratings services are generally more accurate now. The '05 class was an enormous disappointment...at least it was to me. I didn't realize they were the "No. 1 recruiting class" that year, but they were very very highly rated. Fan expectations were high. I don't know if there's ever been that big a disappointment in such a touted class. Some players had bad luck with injuries. Two of them had ACLs their senior year in high school, as I recall. A couple of coveted big centers in that group never played much at all after they got to U.T., and one of them quit basketball. Arriaran was touted as a prodigious shooter, but was just average in college (very nice person, though.). Cortijo and Bailey had good but not spectacular careers. There were no stars, period, and the MacDonald's All Americans never produced at a high level. I'm not blaming the players, but somehow fans, coaches and rating services over estimated their capabilities.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

This is so cute! Would love to see all the new signees take this test! Charlie will grow to be a Great Ambassador for THE University!

• Like Like x 3