2018 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jun 11, 2015.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Joanne continues to put up good numbers...

• Like Like x 3
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

50-39-35: Charli’s points in her last 3 games.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Found a few details from Charli's 50-point performance and it included some 3-pters and my favorite stat: 16 of 19 at the FT line (84%).

• Like Like x 5
  6. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

That's my second favorite stat line. There are so many important attributes that are quantitatively unmeasurable (penetration ability, court awareness, etc.) that we are forced to rely on these measurables. My favorite is rebounds per minute. Through twelve games, you may be surprised who leads Texas in that category (by a long shot).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  7. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Do tell Zig. Who leads the RPM category?

8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

My guess is Rellah.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LutherIsMyDog

Aahhh..that makes sense. Rellah is so smooth. I also like her court awareness when she makes an outlet pass after a defensive rebound or an assist under the basket. Her passing is sharp and decisive. She's fun to watch and she's only going to get better.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Can't get anything past you guys!

Player RPM
    Boothe 0.43
    Holmes 0.33
    Aborowa 0.31
    White 0.29
    Audrey 0.25
    Atkins 0.23
    Hosey 0.22
    Patterson 0.20
    Khale 0.19
    Underwood 0.18
    McCarty 0.15
    Higgs 0.14
    Sutton 0.13
    Littleton 0.12

• Like Like x 3
  11. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

A good reason for Rellah to get a good many minutes, not to mention the other points LutherIsMyDog noted. I'm a big fan.

12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Got to see SP play my daughter's team last night. She is not slim in my opinion, she seems right where she should be. Sedona is the best big HS player I have ever seen with my own eyes. She has great vision and court awareness. When she doesnt have the ball she puts herself in the most advantageous positions on the court. For a 6'7" player I couldn't believe the ball handling and passing skills. Moves around the basket were natural with a great touch on her shot.

Of course all of this was against a team made up of mostly underclassmen and the tallest girl nearly a foot shorter than her, but she was impressive to me and probably could have scored 50 if she had played more than half the game.

• Like Like x 7
  13. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Thanks for the report, Vol. I have not had the pleasure to see Sedona first-hand like you did. But someone who should know told me she could be the best Big in Texas history...she is that skilled and as you say, natural, in addition to her obvious physical gifts. This conversation occurred after Charli committed.

The two will only complement each other.

I mean this as a serious question. In the game you saw, did she play the Post? I don't believe that will be her Texas position...more like a hybrid 3-4.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  14. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

She HAS to play at 5. Anybody that tall in the girls game has to be around the basket. Having said that, with the skills observed(and I only have seen her in one AAU game), she will be a huge weapon offensively at the short corners and elbows initially in college where her shooting and passing skills will be welcome. To be determined is whether she extends out further. Guess is on a very infrequent basis. In the lane, on the blocks, short corners and elbows should be her bread and butter. Collier will be the 3/4.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

No one seems to want to play Center these days in college! :)

But, I think Centers are at a premium in the WBNA and other pro leagues as you can't teach 6'7 height with ideal size/weight.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

I actually think she can play the 4 or 5. I have watched her play on numerous occasions throughout her high school career. She is an excellent ball handler and outstanding passer. She has an outstanding mid-range jumpshot and her range has expanded each year I have watched her play. She is the REAL DEAL. She is also an OUTSTANDING young lady!!! She and Charli are going to be special......

• Like Like x 2
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

After Jatarie and Olamide leave, who else can play Center (in our current offense)?

But, next season, I do think Sedona (and Charli) will play both positions.

18. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

One aspect that is highly underrated is the “outstanding young lady” factor. Not only does it make me smile, but it simply makes it probable that other great talents and OYL’s want to come to Austin. Anybody that has seen Collier’s interviews can immediately identify her interpersonal skills. The limited interviews I have seen with Prince indicates similar qualities. Recruits like CTaylor and others want to play with good teammates. It just indicates to me that the future is golden for Horns WBB

• Like Like x 3
  19. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

That certainly would be the traditional deployment...time will tell. And I agree with how Sedona may best be used offensively. However, defensively, slotting positions based solely on height is not the final word. More important intangibles are how you use length and leverage, jumping ability and that 6th sense of knowing when or whether to leave the floor.

Watching Mo play is a convenient reminder of how important it is to have the luxury of erasing defensive breakdowns with someone who patrols and controls the lane. Having not seen either play, I can't say who that individual will ultimately be and simply repeating what I was told.

Ditto on OYL.

20. LutherIsMyDog

We should be a very difficult team to defend over the next 2-3 years. We will be tall, physical, fast and athletic (and hopefully have a couple of 3 point bombers on the outside).

• Like Like x 1
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Sedona and Charli's ability to move and hit midrange shots should provide the coaching staff ample opportunity to build a really dynamic offense, especially against man defense. A high-low game between Sedona and Charli where the high defender can't sag off to help the low due to the legitimate threat of making the shot from the elbow/FT line would be unfair. With their height and length, defenders have to be right up on them to really bother their shot if at all. Even motioning both out to pull their defenders away from the post area would let Joyner or Rellah work down low against a typical college SF - would almost have to result in a drastic size/strength mismatch.

Defensively, I see Sedona as a pure 5 with Charli able to rotate in/down in the event of foul trouble/fatigue.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

When both Sedona and Charli were committed as freshmen, I'm sure our coaches explained the vision of how they would be used and co-exist on the floor at the same time. While their games and skillsets have obviously grown, so has our offensive system. A lot to look forward to next season and beyond.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

About half the time she was under the basket and the other half she was everywhere. She rotated out to the point a few times taking and giving very quick and sharp passes to others inside. I am by no means an expert, but I will say she has ZERO awkwardness when handling and passing the ball. As a matter of fact I think she played with more decisiveness than anyone else on her team when handling the ball. I'm not for sure but I heard Libery Hill is currently ranked #1 in the state so that says something to me.

I'm telling you I have a very good feeling about her. Someone else mentioned she could be the best big ever at UT. While I saw her play against a very average team and haven't seen her play someone in her realm, she made them, all of them, look like a middle school team.

• Like Like x 2
  24. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Height isn't everything, but, my goodness, I miss the way Imani altered so many shots, and the way Mo Bamba is doing this year.

• Like Like x 1
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  26. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I’m going to the Saginaw Boswell vs Aledo game Friday night. Aledo should be 18-1 after Tuesday game. I believe Boswell is already 18-1. Two 18-1 teams on a January Friday night.......nothing better. Will report on the game and Warren’s production on Saturday. My wife is an Aledo graduate and my former boss is a SB graduate. I am not sure how to cheer during the game?

• Like Like x 3
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  28. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

A nice honor for any young lady. What are there, about 500 on the list?

• Like Like x 1
  29. LutherIsMyDog

There are 699 nominees according to the press release. Only 24 are selected as McDonald's AAs. Quite an honor to be nominated and an even bigger honor to make the final cut.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3