2018 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jun 11, 2015.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Audrey with 27.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I found this information on Stephanie Soares who is the last player not signed from the 2018 ESPN top 100. Had no idea she was a Texas legacy. Very interesting.

Stephanie Soares is ranked #53

NOTES for Stephanie Soares
    .. father Ruiz Rogerieo Soares is a Brazilian-born pro basketball player
    .. mother Susan Anderson Soares played pro basketball in Brazil (3 yrs) & Japan (1 yr)
    .. mother played WBB for UTexas from 1986-1990
    .. mother's teammate (3 year overlap) at Texas was Clarissa Davis-Wrightsil 1985-89
    .. in 2000, Clarissa Davis-Wrightsil founded AAU TeamXpress
    .. Stephanie played AAU club ball for TeamXpress with Coach Davis-Wrightsil

The below is information on her Junior year where she played for
    Mount Baker in California where she and her 6'4" sister Jessica took the girls basketball to its first state title!

"Entering the 2016-17 season, Mount Baker girls basketball hadn't reached a state tournament since the 2005 season. Featuring the height of the Soares sisters, 6-foot-4 senior Jessica and 6-6 junior Stephanie, it was clear the Mounties had more than enough talent to reach the 1A tourney in Yakima, which they did after placing second in the Northwest Conference.

Once Baker arrived in the SunDome on March 1, though, it almost seemed like nothing was going to stop coach Kim Preston's gritty team from walking away with the Golden Ball.

Needing 4 wins in 4 days to capture the title, the No. 8-seeded Mountaineers cruised past No. 9 Zillah in the opening round of the tourney before facing NWC-rival No. 2 Lynden Christian, the defending 1A champs, in the quarterfinals. When Baker beat LC 57-49, the thought of a championship became very real for the girls from Deming.
    An overtime victory over No. 3 Granger in the semifinal round sent the Mounties to the state finals against undefeated and top-seeded Cashmere on March 4. A wild game that came down to the wire went to Baker 45-44 as the entire bench erupted in celebration.

Neither of the Soares sisters returned to Deming for the 2017-18 season
    .. Jessica went to college.
    .. Stephanie returned to Brazil where she serves as a missionary with her family
    http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/228895/stephanie-soares

• Like Like x 2
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I believe I read somewhere that Stephanie will join her older sister at a small college in California.

4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Has a Longhorn WBB player ever dunked in a game?

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  5. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I believe Imani got one

6. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I don't believe Imani ever dunked in a game. I remember she once had a break away with a possibility to dunk but just laid it in. In the post game interview she said she was scared she would miss it so she decided to not try to dunk. That was't her exact words but being Imani she said it in a way that was really cute and funny. She could easily dunk a volleyball but was not consistent at dunking a basketball.
    The House will come down if Sedona ever gets one!!

• Like Like x 3
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

That was my recollection as well. She seemed to get a steal at the top of key every few games but the one time the situation was max optimal she either laid it in or went with the finger roll. With a full season in the S&C program, I’d be surprised if Sedona doesn’t get at least one - especially with her ability to handle the ball on a fast break/leak out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Audrey comes up huge to end district play at Aledo.

• Like Like x 4
  9. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Charli Collier with 35 points on Senior Night.

• Like Like x 4
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Charli’s McDAA jersey presentation. Her ‘little’ brother is a big dude - wonder if he’s hearing from Texas football (class of 2020).

• Like Like x 6
  11. LutherIsMyDog

You aren't kidding! He certainly is a big dude!

12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  13. LutherIsMyDog

A few photos of Charli and her family on their way to the Houston Sports Awards dinner.

• Like Like x 3
  14. LutherIsMyDog

At 7' tall, Hakeem is only a few inches taller than Charli and her "little" brother.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Can't say enough about the quality of person and athlete Texas WBB is recruiting. You've just got to Love the future!

• Like Like x 5
  16. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Unfortunately Charlie did not win the Houston High School Athlete of the year award. Not that I am partial but I think the award was given out a little bit prematurely. After Barbers Hill wins a state title I think they will realize they made a mistake!! At any rate Charlie represented Texas WBB magnificently!!

2018 Houston Sports Award winners:
    • Athlete of the Year: Jose Altuve, Houston Astros
    • College Athlete of the Year: Ed Oliver, Houston Cougars
    • High School Athlete of the Year: Grant Gunnell, St. Pius X
    • Coach of the Year: A.J. Hinch, Houston Astros
    • Moment of the Year: Alex Bregman, Houston Astros (Game 5 walkoff single in World Series)
    • Fan of the Year: Carson Riley (caught Carlos Correa HR in ALCS)
    • Executive of the Year: Jeff Luhnow, Houston Astros
    • Lifetime Achievement Award: Leslie Alexander, Houston Rockets
    • Sportsmanship Award: J.J. Watt, Houston Texans

• Like Like x 2
  17. LutherIsMyDog

Boswell and Audrey Warren celebrate winning the district championship.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Girls High School Basketball playoffs are here! Bi-District games are posted below.

Audrey Warren
    - Boswell (District Winner) vs Braswell Little Elm (Fourth place finisher) Monday Feb 12. Game to be played at a neutral site to be determined.

Sedona Prince - Liberty Hill (District Winner) vs Giddings (Fourth place finisher) Monday Feb 12. Game to be played at a neutral site to be determined.

Charlie Collier - Barbers Hill (District Winner) vs Livingston (Fourth place finisher) Monday Feb 12. Game to be played at a neutral site to be determined.

Joanne Allen-Taylor - As great a year as Joanne had Cy Falls came in 5th in there district and did not make the playoffs.

I could not find the neutral site where any of the games were being played but all the games are scheduled to play at 7pm Monday Feb 12.

• Like Like x 4
  19. LutherIsMyDog

Thank you for putting this list together. I've been wondering about the playoff schedule.

• Like Like x 2
  20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Charli and Barbers Hill playing at Porter High School at 7:00 PM.

Liberty Hill vs. Giddings, 7 p.m. (Taylor HS)

Audrey and Boswell playing in Trophy Club:

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Update on former commit, Shae Routt:

22. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

This is the full Statesman article about Shae Routt. She's a classy kid with a classy family. Good Luck to her in whatever direction she takes.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Shae says she's 100% healthy now, but surprised she is only averaging 11 points a game as a senior. Not that it matters, but not really believing that she is the one who decided to part ways with Texas. Seems like her recruitment is still up in the air; so, hope she finds the right fit.

• Like Like x 1
  24. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Anybody known anything about Denton Braswell? Considering going.

25. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

They came in fourth in there district so it should be a blow out! All the bi-district games for the district champs will probably not be very competitive.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

52 points for Charli, oh my!

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  27. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

A lot of how a player scores depends on the system run by the coach. And most players don't really get back until year two after an ACL injury although they may be able to play after six months to a year after the injury. I have no doubt that Texas would honor their offer if Shae had decided to come to Texas.

What I found interesting is that she wants to play right away and was aware that, here in Austin, she likely would not be able to play much until her second year due to the talent ahead of her. No question that she would have been in the running for PT at the SF/SG position, but immediate PT would not be guaranteed.

I am sorry she is not coming but I also am excited about our 2018 class guards, especially about Audrey Warren.

Best wishes to Shea wherever she decides to go.

• Like Like x 2
  28. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Charli named 1 of 5 finalists for the Naismith National Player of the Year award.

• Like Like x 5
  30. LutherIsMyDog

Congrats Charli! Has Texas ever had a Naismith winner?

• Like Like x 1