2018 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Actually, she loves to play freshmen. Kelsy Lang, Brooke, Ariel and Joyner were all starters at various points in their freshman years, and they all played a lot. Higgs also played regularly, and quite a bit toward the end of the season and the NCAA tournament. Freshmen play for Aston when they can do the job. Much to our disappointment, Patterson, Destiny and Rellah did not play well enough to earn many minutes. Whether they should have gotten more minutes in order to develop is another question much debated on Hornfans. But it wasn't because Aston has a prejudice against playing freshmen.

• Like Like x 4
  2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Add Joyner as a frosh that played, not only a lot, but started 32 of 34 games, all but the first two games, iirc.

If they can earn the PT in practice, they will play. Chasity is doing that, considering she is getting into more games and playing more. Rellah was also getting more time before her second absence. Coach Aston does not have anything against playing frosh if they show they understand what is expected and can execute it.

• Like Like x 3
  3. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

I agree. Chasity is finally looking confident, and beginning to hit shots that just weren't falling to the same degree early in the season. She looks ready to hit her stride big time next season (and will have to given the graduation of both Ariel and Brooke!). And Rellah was actually becoming a fairly significant contributor; had it not been for the sudden absence (alleged by some to be academic in nature) I think her ascendance would have continued. As far as giving more playing time in games to aid development, that's a tough call. If the coaches aren't seeing what they need to in practice, is it fair to those who are giving their all day in and day out to see those who aren't reap the same benefit? Or perhaps some are giving their best but just aren't, or weren't ready yet. We've got four top coaches so I think we need to trust their judgement. They want the best players on the floor, so clearly there isn't any philosophical reason to keep certain players, or freshmen in particular on the bench.

• Like Like x 3
  4. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Joe Dallas-you were right. Christyn Williams won the Gatorade National POY award. It will be interesting to see which players from the 2018 class make the biggest impact during their college careers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

It's a bandwagon kind of thing. I doubt C.W. will be the most impactful player from 2018. Megan Walker probably won it last year? So far, she hasn't had much impact at all (though I guess she still might). It just might be Charli (or Sedona, or who knows?)

• Like Like x 3
  6. LutherIsMyDog

Good article on Sedona Prince (and others) on girls starting to dunk in WBB.

• Like Like x 5
  7. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 4
  8. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 5
  9. LutherIsMyDog

Great photo of Sedona

• Like Like x 6
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Don’t forget to set the DVR. Wednesday, 4:00, ESPN2.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Did anyone watch the PowerAde Jamfest from Monday? It's being replayed today (Tuesday) on ESPNU like at 3 PM and 5 PM Central.

I believe this is the competition where Chasity and Rellah participated last season.

12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Didn’t even know they’d done that yet - assumed it would be today with the game tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up on the replay.

13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Maybe I'm wrong on it being a replay; though, I think my cable guide indicated "03/26/2018" as original air date.

14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

15. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Did anyone watch the thing? Any reports? How did everybody do?

16. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

The game is on now.

17. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

The mickey d game is at 4 pm today. I am recording it to watch tonight.

18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

When is the next All American game?

19. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Sunday, April 8 at 3:30 pm eastern. Jordan Brand Classic

• Like Like x 4
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

No TV based on my cable guide. Perhaps ESPN3.com will stream it.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Same. ESPN2 is showing the boys game at 4:00 but can’t bother with the girls because so many eyeballs will be wanting to see Florida-Bama softball. Poor decision by ESPN - how many SEC Networks do they have and what are the ratings comparisons between WBB and softball? You’d think a better return on investment would be to show the future of a sport that attracts more viewers in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Same as last year..sigh

23. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

the girls Brand game will be on ESPN3 at 1:30 PM CST.
    https://jordanbrandclassic.com/2018/03/rosters-revealed-for-17th-annual-jordan-brand-classic/
    Looks like Charlie and Sedona will be on opposing sides again in this game. But this time, Sedona will be playing with Christyn Williams (UConn) and fellow Big 12 players Aquira DeCosta (BU), Queen Egbo (BU) and Madison Williams (OU). Charlie will have Honesty Scott-Grayson (BU) and LaNyssa Smith (BU) on her team.
    https://www.kicksonfire.com/jordan-brand-classic-2018-rosters/

• Like Like x 4
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I want an international SF who could help right away! Yes, I'm greedy.

Have no idea about this young lady's skill set:

• Like Like x 2
  28. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Seems like a PF based on the few numbers I could find - good rebounding stats but 0/12 from 3 in an international tournament?

How about a tallish Aussie G? This was retweeted by someone Coach Aston follows. She seems to have a good stroke from distance.

• Like Like x 5
  29. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Dang, you people coming up all this info on recruiting in all the classes are good!

Thanks so much for sharing. :bow:

• Like Like x 1
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3