2018 Roster

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Practice today

Diggs, Huff and Elliott
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Depth Chart for the first day of practice

First team
    QB: Sam Ehlinger
    RB: Daniel Young
    X: Collin Johnson
    Y: Jerrod Heard
    Z: Devin Duvernay
    TE: Andrew Beck
    OL: Denzel Okafor – Patrick Vahe – Zach Shackelford – Elijah Rodriguez – Derek Kerstetter

DL: Charles Omenihu – Chris Nelson – Breckyn Hager
    Mac: Anthony Wheeler
    RLB: Gary Johnson
    BLB: Malcolm Roach
    NB: John Bonney
    CBs: Kris Boyd, Davante Davis
    BS: PJ Locke
    FS: Brandon Jones

Second unit
    QB: Shane Buechele/Cameron Rising
    RB: Toneil Carter/Tristian Houston
    X: Lil’Jordan Humphrey/Brennan Eagles
    Y: Davion Curtis
    Z: John Burt
    TE: Reese Leitao
    OL: Samuel Cosmi – Mikey Grandy – Austin Alsup – Tope Imade – JP Urquidez

DL: Taquon Graham – Gerald Wilson – Jamari Chisholm
    Mac: Edwin Freeman/Demarco Boyd
    RLB: Ayodele Adeoye
    BLB: Jeffrey McCulloch
    NB: Josh Thompson
    CBs: Kobe Boyce, Anthony Cook
    BS: Chris Brown
    FS: Caden Sterns/Montreal Estell

-------------
    Calvin Anderson still absorbing the playbook

• Like Like x 1
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Burt is the best Texas can do as a second team Z? Have not seen any ability from him to run the correct routes or catch the ball consistently.

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's just day one.

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes Joe; but we have 3 seasons of tape.

9. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Kid has height, track star speed and a knack for big plays. He's sometimes spectacular.

• Like Like x 2
  10. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Losing one of our top 2 WRs from last year hurts. I'm not a fan of his hands as an every down receiver, but he's an upperclassman who knows the offense with super speed. Being the 5th or 6th WR just makes sense to me.

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

" .... “That new redshirt rule that the AFCA, Todd Berry, and all of us coaches are hoping to get into effect, I wish that were in effect last year,” Herman said last week. “We would have played him the last few games. It was more prudent to redshirt him. Had a great bowl prep, then the two months with Coach McKnight did wonders for him.”

Going through an offseason in Austin for the first time has helped Leitao, who is now up to 245 pounds on his 6’3 frame.

“He’s strong as an ox, super smart,” Herman said. “The guy is majoring in neuroscience. I didn’t even know that was a major. Extremely smart. Loves football. You can tell he’s a coach’s kid. Goes hard when he screws up. It kills him. We’re excited about him.”

The excitement also stems from the fact that Leitao was the right mentality to excel as an in-line blocker, but also possesses the athleticism to threaten opponents as a receiver — he caught 34 passes for 423 yards and four touchdowns as a senior. During bowl prep, offensive coordinator Tim Beck expressed his satisfaction in seeing Leitao develop that area of his game.

“He runs well and he really catches the ball well,” Beck said. “I thought he was more of a guy that would just slobberknock you down inside there, but he can move pretty good.”
    The tight end position features heavily in the pro-spread offense run by Herman and while he doesn’t have players with ideal height for his scheme, he is satisfied with where the position is this spring.

“We don’t have like what we had at Ohio State withJeff Heuermanand Nick Vannett,” Herman said. “We don’t have 6’6, 260 that can put his hand in the dirt and go block an elite 7-technique. What we do have are guys that are athletic, that can move, that do have leverage. They aren’t short by any stretch. By tight end standards, 6’2, 6’3 is not extremely tall. They can move around. They can play in the slot. They can run routes. They can catch the ball. The offense is pretty wide open.” ...."

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  12. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Tight end? Didn't we have one of those once?

• Like Like x 1
  13. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I was pretty sure that when Jermichael Finley left, we decided to retire that position in honor of his achievement. Glad to see we changed our mind on that.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Neuroscience? Wow. Brains are severely underrated in football from what I’ve seen. Plus he looks the part. Glad he made it

Edit: pun unintentional

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

My peanut butter is disappointed as well

• Like Like x 3
  17. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

my peanut butter feels dirty now

• Like Like x 3
  18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

My almond butter is smirking and feeling unjustifiably superior. I think it was made in College Station. I intend to throw it out.

• Like Like x 3
  19. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

My Sunflower Butter is....wait....What the??? Hey, Honey!!!.....What is....
    This stuff isnt even......a flower!?
    Sunflower Butter is not butter babe!
    Where's my.........!?!?

(And for the record Flax milk is not milk and Cashew Cheese isn't cheese... SMH)

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Coach said Gary Johnson will be out six weeks.
    No surgery.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

He knows what to do and how to get it done so best let him get well before August.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Article of how Nelson missing practice improves the DL depth

" .... Nelson not being cleared in a full-tilt capacity has allowed other Longhorns to gain valuable practice experience this spring. One such player is Ta'Quon Graham, the 290-pound versatile sophomore who Orlando said has impressed him through eight practices.

“Sometimes you look the part and have great strength numbers and then don’t go out there and play the part,” Orlando said. “He’s been playing the part, so that’s a guy I’m really fired up about.”

Graham could potentially give Orlando and the Longhorns a great deal of flexibility up front. While 290 pounds might sound light for a nose tackle, Orlando had an All-American at Houston in Ed Oliver who dominated as a true freshman despite playing under 280 pounds in 2016.

... the defensive line will be built around Nelson, Graham, Breckyn Hager and Charles Omenihu. “Those guys are going to have to go and the other guys are going to have to collectively get their reps,” Orlando said.

As far as those other guys are concerned, Gerald Wilbon has been getting work with the No. 1 defense at nose tackle on occasion and figures to play a big role in the defense’s short yardage and goal line packages. Behind Wilbon, Orlando mentioned on Thursday that D’Andre Christmas had done a nice job of late, which is the first time in a long time that the 2016 signee has been mentioned in a positive manner by the staff.

Marqez Bimage, a high school linebacker at Brenham who’s making the transition to playing with his hand on the ground, will provide depth at end behind Hager and Omenihu. Like Graham, Jamari Chisholm can give the Longhorns a presence at either end or over the ball....."

https://247sports.com/college/texas...nsive-line-depth-with-TaQuon-Graham-117067504

• Like Like x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  26. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I remember when my arms were that big, that damn beehive tore me a new one lmao

• Like Like x 1
  27. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

you had an anus on your arm?

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some peoples armpits come pretty close

• Like Like x 1
  29. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

That barbell is fake

30. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I felt like sh** for about 2 days so to answer the question well in some weird fashion I guess you could say I had an anus on my arm :e-muscle::e-poo:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018