2018 Roster

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

SEC needs to go to a 9-game conference slate. This all goes back to Bama/Auburn ending their seasons against each other the third week in November, and the TV contracts saying that they needed to play the week of Thanksgiving instead. So they both added a I-AA team and the rest is history. Now every team in that godforsaken conference does it and it's ******** when they could easily just add a third opponent from the other division and nut up.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

I am with you Joe. We are way overdue. I also think Anderson may pull the group together. Tackle is by far the weakest position and the lack of an LT has put lots of other positions out of whack. If Anderson can be adequate and Patrick Hudson can be adequate, I think we may have an average line. That would be a huge upgrade from the last several years.

Last year, to my mind, we had no right tackle after Connor went down. We put our only tackles on the left and put a windsock on the right. A little protection on the right and we are significantly improved. If Hudson can use his massive frame to open some run lanes, we are significantly improved. As with last year, our offense will be the team weakness. But with a little improvement we can hopefully get a few more wins than last year.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I see a ripple effect. Anderson at LT allows allows Cosmi to play RT for one season (moving to LT for '19), which will allow Kerstetter to move to C, which will allow Shack to move to OG, leaving the other OG to Grandy/Hudson. I prefer the senior Vahe to become a swing interior lineman.
    We will see how it ends up

• Like Like x 1
  6. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Gotta be honest... from what I've seen of the spring tape breakdown reports and from on-field performance, I'm feeling less and less comfortable with Vahe as a starting option. He just doesn't seem like he's picking up some of the blocking assignments. Maybe he just had a bad spring game, but he's been here long enough now, and he seems like he plateaued as a freshman.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

IMO, Vahe has been a weakness in pass block for several seasons. He can be a good run blocker though, and he does pull pretty well

• Like Like x 1
  8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

That is going to hurt in in the NFL draft. Hopefully, Hand will be able to bring him along.

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He will probably be starting again. Hard to see Hand or anyone bumping a 4th year starter. Which means we will continue to be susceptible to a pass rush up the middle. IMO, nothing unsettles QBs more than this

10. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 4
  11. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I’ve noticed over the years that a lot of receivers don’t have any knee protection at all. They either take the pads out or the pants just go up above the knee.

12. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I haven't seen any comments about raschon Johnson earning the MVP of that last camp. What's up with that? Obviously he must have made a lot of good throws.

13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Do I understand correctly:

Buying houses for mothers is ok

Buying cars and including a couple of suitcases full of cash in the trunk is ok

Using hookers in recruiting is ok

Cashing in unused fully refundable airplane tickets is ok

Cash annuities to families is ok

Not going to class is ok

Not making academic progress is ok

Beating the crap out of women is ok

Steroid use is ok

Rape is ok

Drugging women is ok

BUT don't dare violate the dress code. What a worthless, piece of **** organization.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

IT thinks DT Chris Nelson will remain in Austin for his senior year. Something that was in doubt as of the end of last season. He is about to graduate and is "excited" about what the DL could do this year.

15. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

It's about time they got on this. The NFL was starting to corner the market on completely uniform, non-individualistic teams that all look the same.

Maybe they could get Hager to cut his hair next? That's clearly blocking a section of the uniform that's supposed to be visible on every player.

16. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

uniform
    1 not changing in form or character; remaining the same in all cases and at all times.

I'm just sayin... It is the definition of uniform.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

ESPN calling for LJH to be break out player in 2018

The Longhorns have desperately longed for a big-play receiver in recent years, and Humphrey showed this spring he’s capable of being just that. Whether catching passes on the outside, hauling them in down the seam or taking the ball out of the backfield, Humphrey was making plays everywhere in the spring game. His versatility could be a huge component for the Texas offense in the fall.” — Jake Trotter, ESPN

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-football-spring-breakout-players-top-25-team

• Like Like x 2
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  19. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Kinda full of himself considering he's really accomplished nothing at the college level. Here's to hoping he comes here and shuts me up.

• Like Like x 3
  20. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Thought the same thing. If he can come in and rush for 1000+ (especially with our O Line) that's great but in the meantime.. I'd be studying the play book, kid, and eating humble pie.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  24. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

What’s nie? He mean dye?

25. Omniscient.one

Not only impressed with his demeanor, but what an excellent reply. I think freshman that produce most likely have this more humble approach as opposed to “I’m not worried about anything. I know I’m ready.”

26. Omniscient.one

Did he miss football stuff for track? Just curious. Hope not

27. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Really? You are worried about that instead of feeling proud of an athlete that is able to structure his time to play two sports plus continuing his academic requirements? And all that is with his coaches' permission.

28. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

And the answer to your question is "no".

29. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I would normally totally agree with you guys....But I personally believe this program/team has been missing a few guys with a little more bravado, a bit more swagger and cockiness. Its one reason I'm glad Sam is around. We could use a little more of it. Every good team has it.
    Don't read too much into this guys...just sayin'. Seems like something we've been lacking.
    I personally prefer the humble route...but observations of sport over the years says a team without a few of the others is about to get beat.

• Like Like x 1
  30. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Besides Anderson and Watson, I think Grandy will be valuable.