2018 Roster

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Nov 28, 2017.

1. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

It definitely would nice to see McCoullough and Wheeler to have breakout years.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Besides the NFL, Omenihu also gave strong consideration to leaving as a grad transfer, according to Chip Brown. I had heard about the NFL but not about a potential transfer.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The AAS seems unaware we dont have an OL

• Like Like x 2
  4. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I think wheeler will be fine

5. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Who’s the freshman from FL at LB? I recall only a WR recruit from the dong of America

• Like Like x 1
  6. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Ayodele Adeoye - his stuff looks good :nogaynttawwi:

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Wheeler is great at what he does.
    But, IMO at least, he is not really built for all of the demands of this conference. He is not great in coverage and lacks somewhat in lateral quickness

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Giles retweeted this

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

It helps this stat when your punter is consistently pinning the opposing offense inside the 20.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I guess Boyd is official too now

[​IMG]

11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Win-win for both Boyd and Texas. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out 2nd team All Big XII DB will not translate to what is desired from the NFL. If he can get 1st team Big XII and get some mention in the Thorpe award, he will be making a big step up in the draft next year.

12. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Outside of Williams, I think all of the guys turning pro are making a big mistake. I have seen Jefferson as the 8th best LB (I thnk DMN, I do not have the source) in the draft. I am not sure that will even get him taken in the third round. Williams is the only guy with back to back good years, so I doubt any of the pro teams are foaming at the mouth over any of the other guys. I am usually wrong, but I doubt that our safety or DB get drafted.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Workouts began today
    Everyone was there.
    Including all the ones who were rumored to be considering transferring. Even DL Chris Nelson was at workout (the rumor was that he he would go to class, become a graduate transfer but not participate in team activities).
    Transfers could still happen after the end of this semester. And someone probably will leave at that time. But, as of this moment at least, there is no transfer imminent

• Like Like x 1
  14. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  16. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Good luck to the kid, I think I may have seen him take one carry in the tech game a few years back

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Update to this -- Word now is twins WR Devin and DB Donovan Duvernay will seek release this week in order to transfer

Devin had 20 catches for 412y, 3 TDs in 2016
    But only 9 catches for 124y, 0 TDs in 2017

18. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

fark. I understand Devin though, absurdly underutilized

• Like Like x 1
  19. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

"i like several of our LBs and think they might be able to step up. wheeler and mccoullough."

McCullough's never going to play LB, that guy has rush end written all over him. I'm pretty sure that's where he saw most of his PT?

Shame about Duvernay but I'm wondering about him - it's not as if this staff had an issue playing underclassmen, and yet at season's end, it was still Joe and Leonard and Foreman keeping some of the young guys off the field. With them gone, you'd think he would have been in line for more playing time, but maybe he saw the receiver crop coming in and read the writing on the wall, so to speak.

Kirk looks seriously ripped. Wondering if he's going to have the same speed as he showed as a freshman. Hoping he pulls a Fozzy this year without the torn knee against Missouri.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Nahlin said they were both at the original team meeting on Monday
    And both showed up to Wednesday workouts.
    And both are with the team today as well
    So, this came somewhat out of left field

• Like Like x 1
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Kind of hard to improve your stats from the sideline. Then, he gets in when we're already in the red zone, total waste of his speed.

OU coaches were scared to death that we would isolate him on that freshman CB - yes, the one 12 teams picked on but only one did not. Guess who!

His speed was used as wisely as Johnson's height and leaping ability.

Best wishes to the young men if they move on.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Must agree with this most excellect post.

I'm still dizzy from SMH so much while watching last year's _ffense.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Tim Beck takes "you don't want to go the well too often" to an extreme. If something worked once, or even stood a chance of working, we went the other way.

As an example, when we threw a wide open bubble screen and the WR had all sorts of room to work. But the WR was Garret Grey who failed to get turned around and got tackled.
    Now THAT is just the sort of play you wouldn't want to design for an athlete like Duverney because the other team might just figure out that you have talent and your aren't afraid to use it... Better to keep them guessing about when you might actually use it. And then never use it. Its brilliant!

• Like Like x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Part of Q&A from IT today that hit on the topic of the twins --

Q: 247 says the Duvernay's will transfer. Do they have bad intel?

Nahlin: This is a recruiting Q&A, but maybe they intend on transferring. They weren't at the initial team meeting on Monday, then they made workouts on Wed and today (Tuesday was cancelled). I've heard at least one parent wants them to leave but there still with the team as of this minute.

Justin: Think they might after Spring ball. But like [Nahlin] said, they’re there now.

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I wonder if he gives UH a look?
    Applewhite/Briles, Jr love his type of straight line speed

26. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

He was this close to committing to Briles in the first place.

It would be a shame to see him go and play for Briles after all.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

He did commit.

28. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Anyone know how Montrell Estelle, Jordan Pouncey, and Max Cummins from last year's class fit in for next year?

29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I suspect they will talk to Kiffin & Strong, maybe Butch Davis, to be closer to home.

30. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Who? Duvernays are from Texas according to the roster and my memory.