2018 Roster

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Nov 28, 2017.

1. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

They are from Sachse.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

My bad, but those are three spots, or at least two, that would be good or them. Who does SMU have for a QB?

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

IT on the Brothers Duvernay --

The twins have not asked for a transfer, though they have asked for permission to talk to other schools to gauge interest. I have no idea yet if that was granted.

Here's the problem; when they were coming out of high school, and then escaping Baylor, the Duvernays had the leverage of Devin's ability and explosiveness. That hasn't exactly materialized. You still have some schools that would love to have Devin, but is he good enough to also make room for Donovan? Not to be harsh, but that's a calculation schools will try and make.
    Schools they have interest in include TCU (not happening), SMU, and an SEC school.

Unclear if that last part is a slap at aggy

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Good luck with that.

• Like Like x 4
  8. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

WTH

9. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Warren certainly has an NFL body and the H-back/Fullback/TE hyrbrid is a big need in many pro-style offenses. I don't think he has the speed/explosiveness to make it as a pure tailback, but his combo of size/ speed can translate into roles in speciality teams etc. Honestly, when he first signed with Texas my thought was that if wanted to make NFL money, he should take his strength and speed and learn to be an edge rusher. Kid has Von Miller measurable.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  10. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

At the worst he goes undrafted and gets a camp invite. Though I’d put money on him being drafted. He’ll make a team either way, perhaps the practice squad.

11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

He's better off to go undrafted than going in the last round. That way he can choose a team that has a need for his ability.

O one,

I'll bet you a #3 at El Patio that he is not selected in the NFL draft. He's going there because there were no takers among colleges for his talent. I do wish the young man good luck, and thank him for his contributions to our program.

:hookem2:

12. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I really enjoy power backs like Chris Warren and I wish he would have gotten more carries his last year. However, there are very few pro football players who were not starters their last year in college. A huge exception that comes to mind is Willie Parker and there was a QB out of FSU who had a decent NFL career who never really started in college. There are probably a couple more, but the odds are really stacked against Warren.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I wonder if he got some favorable feedback from NFL sources, whether an agent type sold him on a vision or whether it was simply that no other schools were interested in him as a transfer?

• Like Like x 1
  14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Probably the latter if you add "major" between other and schools. At least in the pros he will be paid to be a practice dummy.

15. Omniscient.one

Agree on showing appreciation for his time here and undrafted>last round. But disagree no other college would take him. He averaged 5.6 YPC over his career here (4.4 this year), has NFL pedigree, suffered from position and head coaching changes this year, and is a good kid (or at least not a bad one). I know he sent a tweet out in frustration but more importantly he played hard and as a good teammate after a position switch he didn’t want to say the least. That said, he can’t block very well and seemed to have lost his field vision, sometimes just running into o-linemen’s backs. But I recall he didn’t have this his first two years.
    I think the real reason is that one or both of he didn’t want to sit out a year and must’ve heard something encouraging about being selected. I think he has great talent and will play on Sundays, and still that he’ll be drafted. If you’d have said El Arroyo or Matt’s El Rancho I would’ve passed, but I f’n love El Patio. It’s a deal fine sir.

16. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I'd put pretty decent money on him not being drafted. No real position, injury concerns, didn't finish his eligibility, had one great game 2+ years ago and not much else since. This isn't the NBA and you don't just take a chance on assumed potential.

He'd be wise to follow the Swoopes route and try his hand at whoever will take him after the draft as an H-back and special teams player.

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I suppose there are worse jobs

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I don't know of anywhere he can get that starting salary with or without his degree.

19. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 1
  20. Omniscient.one

I disagree on a couple points. He wasn’t D’onta by a long shot but he produced when he got the ball, rushing for 100+ yards 5 out of the 7 times he got 15 or more carries, with 95 yards in one of the two he didn’t. So 6 of 7 basically. I couldn’t believe it but he had a 4.4 YPC this year, which isn’t shabby considering our oline. True that’s inflated by SJSU but not by a ton.

Also, teams draft based on potential. See Darrius Hayward-Bey, Matt Cassell, Rico Gathers and all the other TEs that had never played a down of football to name a few. Normally these players are physical specimens and minus being a little slow for a RB, which I don’t see why he wouldn’t play, Warren’s huge frame (his thighs alone even) make up for it.

• Like Like x 2
  21. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

22. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I think Warren surprises everyone, gets drafted in the 4th or 5th round, and has a decent pro career. While he doesn’t have much shake, behind a good OL, he can be a bruiser that the defense will get tired of tackling by the 4th quarter.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Not inflated by SJSU a ton? He's at 2.69 ypc without it my man. He's not going to get 15+ carries in the NFL, either.

Like I said, I still think he has a chance after the draft.

24. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Any updates on the offensive linemen who might be leaving early. I seen one left, but I have not seen information on the others. IMO it is critical that these guys come back even if they do not play much so the freshman can be redshirted.

25. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yes, Cuney was the other possibility

26. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I would think he had some type of interest from somebody, but maybe he didn’t want to sit out another year maybe. His dad was an nfl rb so I would like to think he did some vetting for him before he allowed him to make this jump.

27. Omniscient.one

Ha, well there’s egg on my face. Obviously I didn’t do the math, just didn’t think 16 carries would make such a difference. Goes to show how small the season sample size is. A good deal of blame was how terrible the blocking was and that 1/2 of his yards were after contact (not verified), with 1/4 of that initial contact behind the LOS (also not verified). Plus his YPC the two years prior support that. I still stand by my statement.

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

" ... open records request revealed all Longhorns who requested NFL evaluations were advised to return to school."

29. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Wow! Perhaps these guys want the paycheck. BUT, if they are leaving because they were chafing under the thumb of TH and company, do they REALLY think it is going to get easier in the NFL? Do they think life under the likes of Belichek, Gruden, etc is going to be Nirvana?

30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

We have dumb players.

• Like Like x 2