2018 Senate (& House)

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Joe Fan, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I think that's a pretty good insight, OUBubba.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Even a broken clock . . .

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If you're a Democrat, Roy Moore is the gift that just keeps on giving. Link.

4. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I grew up in a small town. We had some cattle and worked them but I was no "cowyboy" with the horses. Some of my small town folks on the facebook enjoyed critiquing his horse riding display. Kind of funny.

Glad he keeps on giving.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  8. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Update on Menendez. The District Judge ruled last week that the most serious allegations lacked merit as a matter of law and couldn't be retried. He also ruled that certain evidence was inadmissible. Based on these rulings, the DOJ has dropped all charges.

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

They should come try it in Texas

10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If the charges lacked merit as a matter of law, then I don't see how that would make a difference. The Texas jury's verdict would get set aside.

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Didnt it already go to trial once?

12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Yes, but if the allegations lacked merit as a matter of law, the case is going to be taken away from the jury and judgment rendered for the defendant. That would have been true, even if the jury had found him guilty.

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

If that were true, it should have been handled pre-trial

14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Perhaps, but I think some judges don't like to toss cases without a trial and want to give plaintiffs or prosecutors the opportunity to put on their case, even if they're skeptical. Having said that, why not grant a directed verdict after the prosecution rests? Did the defendants not ask for one? If the case was that meritless and they didn't ask for one, that's some sloppy lawyering. Maybe they wanted to bill Menendez and his buddy for a few more days by putting on their case. lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It sounds like you are better versed in this case than me. Did the trial judge change? Did any controlling law change while it was pending? (I have seen both these things happen)

16. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Sometimes, a judge will deny a borderline motion for directed verdict because a defense verdict is harder to get around on appeal. In the event of a plaintiff/guilty jury verdict (or a mistrial), then and only then will the judge put his neck on the line by throwing out the claims/charges.

• Like Like x 1
  17. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

For what it's worth, I think Menendez's conduct was sleazy as hell, and should be illegal. But I don't think it was illegal under McDonnell v. US, which sets the bar ridiculously high for public corruption charges.

• Like Like x 1
  18. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

No change in law, no change in judge.

19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

So is he going to get primaried?

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

By a 14-yr old Domincan

• Like Like x 1
  21. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Only one other candidate has formally announced, and he's a no-name who runs for governor every year. I don't think he's ever managed to get 0.1% of the vote.

I have heard rumblings that party leaders are trying to push him out, but nothing public has come out to the best of my knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Monmouth University polling suggests the purported Dem lead in generic House ballot has collapsed from a 15-point lead to 2. In one month.

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

On top of Party money (or lack of it), is that the Koch Brothers plan to spend $400 million on GOP races

[​IMG]

24. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Drain the swamp?

25. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

The original SNL skit was pretty accurate. It's "fill the swamp".

26. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Was this polling before or after the SOTU?

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

28. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

So this was before the SOTU. After the Democrat **** show those idiots put on it has to be even worse.

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Seems so. It does include Tuesday (30th) within the 3 days, which I am going to guess means it was all concluded prior to the nighttime speech

30. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, I'm sure it was already done before the evening.