2018 Senate (& House)

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Joe Fan, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If that holds, Nelson probably loses, and he's not supposed to be on of the vulnerable Ds. Of course, that's a big "if."

2. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Another Never-Trump Rhino bites the dust. Flake announced he's not running for re-election as AZ Senator. :usa:

3. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Is this Bannon's first or second pelt?

For all the talk about the drama in the Democrat's party in their fight for an identity/leaders, there is just as many problems facing the R's.

Here is Flake's speech on the Senate floor. Many on this board will say "good riddance". I'd agree with Flake when he states there Trump is pushing us to become "fearful backward looking people". Actually, I'd say Bannon is doing this.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Which is a different question whether he would have won
    Because he might have

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He knew he was going to lose
    It's amazing these guys stick with their positions on Trump and his agenda when they know its what the great bulk of the R base wants. I have a little trouble wrapping my brain around their stubbornness.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That is true. In modern politics, anything is possible.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Seattle Husker

That's the great debate. In the past leaders have been criticized for ruling by polls rather than principles but that appears to be what you are advocating. Congresspeople should not be owned by lobbyists but I also don't believe they should be solely beholden to a fickle, often uninformed, electorate either.

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I finally read W. Bush's speech from the other day. He had a line that bugged the crap out of me.

" .... Our governing class has often been paralyzed in the face of obvious and pressing needs..."

My sense is that most Republicans and Independents reject the idea of a permanent governing or ruling class. Europeans can have that and keep it too. No thanks. I think most of us accept Lincoln's take of a “government of the people, by the people, for the people." I bet even a handful of Dems out there find Bush's view somewhat offensive to their notion of what this country is about.

I also think it's this kind of navel gazing by those who consider themselves to be our ruling class that leads to the election of people like Trump or Rock.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Seattle Husker

Did you miss the entire quote or infer permanent was stated by Bush?

10. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Agree on all counts. He knew he would lose without question. Decided to take the cuffs off so he could verbally assault Trump at will for the rest of his time being relevant. Was very fitting for McCain to follow up Flake's retirement speech with praise and support. If only...

11. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

It's true and it's a fine line to walk. What I want ultimately, is a representative that tells me what he thinks and what he REALLY favors and why, but then does what his constituency tells him.

ie, I want a rep who has the fortitude to try to persuade me there is a better way but ultimately is willing to accept it when I don't agree and I still want them to do something different.

I don't mind it when a Straus-like guy advocates for a different version of the bathroom bill, but when the public says 'no, I want a ban' then he needs to get on board or get gone.

12. Seattle Husker

I'm 100% aligned on the first paragraph. Unfortunately, that generally doesn't get you elected as candidates exceedingly are forced to pander to the extremes to avoid getting "primaried".

Is the "public" ever unified on a position? Are they the most informed on said position? A candidate needs to have the fortitude to stand up to the crowd and say "I voted against you for X reason". Then their constituencies can choose to vote them in/out in the next election. If they vacillate on their principles to follow the crowd that's not what I'd define as leadership but rather the very nature of what's wrong in politics today, IMHO.

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This is a governor race, not Congress
    But its one in a key state

Check out this ad -- the vote is 13 days out

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

At some point, it has to be considered cruelty to keep trotting this troubled woman out there
    Face spasms, marred speech, uttering gibberish, confusing ‘trillions’ and ‘billions,’ pie chart/pie crust
    It's not funny anymore. Just sad

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Orin Hatch has told friends he is retiring

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

TV ad for Virg Governor race
    This one may be worse than the one pushing wheelchair granny off a cliff

19. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Wow!

• Like Like x 1
  20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Hey Douchbag! Trump got more minority votes than Romney.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

And the funny thing is that people still think the Willie Horton ad was bad.

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I always thought granny wheelchair off the cliff was hideously bad
    But this one is very bad too
    Nice audio crunch at the end

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Susan Collins’ net approval among Maine Reps dropped from +38% to -2% over the last quarter, a 40 point swing.

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Lisa Murkowski’s net approval among Alaska Reps dropped from +33% to +2%, a 31 point swing.

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Only 33% of Kentucky voters approve of McConnell’s performance on the job, while 55% disapprove.

Only Senaror Bob Menendez (D-NJ), on trial for public corruption on bribery, fared worse than McConnell in terms of third quarter approval.

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Candidate Moore seems to understand what the voters want

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

In spite of one of the most racial fear-mongering ads I've ever seen, Gillespie is the one the media is portraying as running racist ads. Link. Shameless.

• Like Like x 2
  30. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

CNN has become the National Enquirer of TV journalism. Pure propaganda. I have more respect for MSNBC who does not seem to hide their liberalism.

• Like Like x 2