2018 Senate (& House)

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Joe Fan, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

To me, this has much more to do with the attitude of voters right now than it does have anything to do with Rock. The environment is ripe for insurgents.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

To me a Kid Rock victory would be a huge breakthrough in politics for all sides.

The day a person with a wild past can overcome the intensive scrutiny and character bashing to still win office based on platform and message is a big deal.

I've always felt it's garbage that people with untamed pasts are deemed pariahs unfit for office because of spicy behavior they've outgrown with maturity.

Not saying Rock checks all those boxes. Just know there are a ton of extremely competent people who'd never dare run for office because of a wild past.

4. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Imagine that Democrats with a debt, that never happens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If she loses (to either Kid Rock or someone else), that'll be evidence that Michigan has undergone a true political realignment and not just a fluke GOP win with Trump. It will have shifted from blue to purple and perhaps even leaning red.

6. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

You could make a pretty good argument I think that it's a signal of what many of us thought might never happen: that traditional blue collar democrats would finally say "enough is enough, my party's been taken over by crazy people." I'd compare it to the "Reagan Democrats" except I don't think these people are ever going back.

There will be a few Dems who will take up the rallying cry that "we've forgotten the working class folks," but what they don't get is that they can't go into those areas and win trust back while at the same time refusing to put any limits on the progressives.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You can't tell a bunch of people that you hate their culture and their religion (or pander to people who do) and expect them to vote for you. It's not going to happen, especially when your economic agenda is hostile to them.

The reason why they came back to the Democrats after Reagan is that the Democratic Party wasn't overtly hostile to them. It had countercultural liberals, but they didn't dominate the party the way they do now. Most Democrats in the '80s and '90s were labor Democrats, which meant (among other things) economic protectionism and restrictions on immigration. Those issues could be used to inoculate them from the GOP's playbook. That's not the case anymore.

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He is already proving more clever than Stabenow

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  9. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

I could not disagree more with this sentiment. While there are shades of grey to "spicy past", a persons past is the truest indicator for most of us as to who we are and what we value. If we start letting the "Big Brother" cast start winning elections despite their Jersey Shore behavior then we really have reached "Idiocracy".

• Like Like x 2
  10. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I could not disagree with your response 8 trillion times more. This subject goes far beyond politics and into the strength and commitment of one's faith.

Past equals the future is total horsesh*t for those who know God on a deeper level. Despite religion, most advanced people realize this as well.

I'm not talking about excusing a past with harmful actions towards others or immorality on an offensive level.

There is a huge difference between having a normal past and one able to overcome campaign investigation and scrutiny.

Because a guy used to do blow alot and party at the clubs in his early 20's doesn't mean said person didn't grow up and walk a righteous path for the last 25 years.

Maybe he slept around a lot and had threesomes, etc before meeting his wife and falling madly in love and building a beautiful family.

Gotta love these high and mighty types. Demanding our leaders be saints who walked the straight and narrow all their lives, while their own background check wouldn't last two weeks in a campaign with the way things are.

You know who passes these background checks now...extremely rich people, extremely famous people, those who were groomed for office their whole lives, or ridiculously square people who can't relate to most of the common people.

I feel really sorry for you if you believe past equals the future in people. Maturity, finding their spirituality, etc. It's called growing into a man.

Would be a hell of a lot of inspirational, amazing stories and people we'd have to toss in the trash if one's past defines their worth and ability to make a difference.

11. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I'm a big fan of KR. His songs are some of my favorite treadmill tunes. But I don't want him as Senator. I don't want The Rock or Kanye or Affleck or Clooney, etc. We need serious people in the Senate. Run for the House and prove your metal. I mean, hell, we can have Steve King, Loui Gohmert, etc. in the House and people still take them quasi-seriously.

12. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

What about Al Franken? Sheila Jackson Lee? Maxine Waters? Kid Rock would not only be a rock star on stage, but a rock star in Washington for your party. The guy at least has common sense which doesn't seem to be available to the Nancy Pelosi's of your party. They're so many nutty dems in Washington. Cracks me up any of you will point this about out when you had guys like Alan Grayson stating the Republicans wants you dead. Just Amazing how you libs think.

13. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Jackson is a Yale graduate and graduate of Virginia Law. Seems pretty good. Waters has a pedigree of a serious person. I'll give you Franken.

I just will love the hypocrits from the religious right who line up to support my man Kid Rock. Much like the Trump supporting Bible folks. L to the O to the L. I have dear friends who "prayed" on the election and ended up voting for a serial sexual offender because - God.

14. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I won't make my mind up on KR until hearing his platform and stances/explanations on specific issues. I have no clue how much he 'gets it' or doesn't.

To your point, yes it's dangerous to start electing people only because of fame and a defiant tone. It could easily become a trend.

Each cycle a party could locate places where a weak incumbent is clinging to office and run the most famous local person against them.

None of us want to see that. And yes the HOR would be a more appropriate starting point for a newbie with an unconventional past.

The bar for common sense is extremely low in that place and bad eggs don't wield as much power due to sheer numbers.

That being said, I do believe if someone famous throws their hat in the ring they deserve to be judged according to policy and substance of ideas on an individual basis.

As for the celebs Dems are trying to recruit for 2020 POTUS run, not worried an ounce. People may like The Rock, but trusting him with their livelihood is a diff story.

Not to mention he's a registered Republican. He'd have to run as a Dem (turncoat would lose all Rep voters in the general) or an independent. If he did the latter he'd hurt the Dem candidate more than DT.

There's no way in hell he'd beat DT in a Rep primary.

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Not a good look for either institution. Probably academic malfeasance that they both allowed her to matriculate

• Like Like x 1
  16. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

I would say that Queen Sheila is dumb as a stump, but that would be an insult to good stumps everywhere. She is an idiot who was somehow awarded degrees from otherwise prestigious universities. If you doubt this, please peruse her greatest hits on you-tube. You can easily find several examples where Sheila offers up her idiocy without provocation. My favorite is trying to find where the astronauts landed on Mars. This exchange happened when she was questioning a NASA official in some space centered committee. Maxine Waters is also brain-dead, with evidence all over you-tube also.
    No, thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  17. 4th_floor

Another of Queen Sheila's finer moments. She often operates the mouth without engaging the brain. However, I'm not sure it would make much difference.

18. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Write-in votes for Bill Clinton?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Texas had its chance to elect a celeb with Kinky Friedman
    But Texas voters were too smart, recognizing he was just another tax and spend liberal in disguise. But he did have some decent campaign slogans ( "How Hard Could It Be?" and "Why The Hell Not?" and "He ain't Kinky, he's my Governor")

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

ala Stanford and Ugly Duckling Clinton
    This happens too much

21. 4th_floor

Kinky is entertaining. But I wouldn't vote for him. He would have been better than Ma Richards.

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

But maybe not Ma Fergsuen?

23. 4th_floor

Very interesting. Ma F > Kinky > Ma R. But they were all too anti freedom for me.

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Dems finally seem to be settling in on a new theme -- populism
    How very original of them
    And it means either this new theme or their 100% opposition to the currently elected populist quite fake

25. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

A better deal? Opening the doors wide to foreigners and having American workers pay for their entitlements until losing jobs to the cheaper foreign alternative.

They can call a turd 'a better chocolate snack' all day long, it's still human excrement and will harm the very ones who eat it.

26. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

What does Bill Clinton have to do with this discussion?

27. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I never had seen that; that made me laugh.

28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I toyed with voting for Kinky and even attended a meet and greet with him. He was a very cool guy, but once I heard his policies, he was out of the question. Ended up voting for Carole Keeton McClellan Rylander Foghorn Leghorn Strayhorn.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Thin ice, Barry. Very thin ice. Though I'm no fan of any of these three, Franken is by far the most serious and most intelligent. In fact, if it's an issue he really cares about, he can be very sharp. For example, I've heard him discuss binding arbitration, and he has a commanding knowledge of the issue. Furthermore, when the cameras are off, he is actually very nice guy and respectful to conservatives, and frankly, that's one reason why a bunch of rural people in Minnesota will vote for him. If he acted like the smug ******* that he plays on TV, they wouldn't.

Waters and Jackson-Lee are flagrant crackpots, obnoxious, and don't have a quarter of Al Franken's brains. Despite her on-paper education (which nobody takes seriously), Jackson-Lee is the bigger crackpot and the dumber one of those two.

• Like Like x 4
  30. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I just mean that Franken was not a "serious" person when he ran for office. He'd never held office before running for senate. I almost wish you had to be a governor or a US Representative before you could run for the Senate. I listened to Franken talk about how he caught lightning in a bottle in his election. The guy he ran against was more of a New York carpetbagger than he was.

Saw on the twitter that there's video of Kid Rock getting a hummer next to the lead singer of Creed. Murca!