2018 Transfer Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

According to a post on Texags.com on 04/23, Danni Williams visited Texas; so, I assume that would have been this past weekend:

https://texags.com/forums/58/topics/2945508/2

I would love for her to land at Texas; we could use her three-point shooting desperately!

• Like Like x 3
  2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

A&M's Williams is a good career 3pt shooter and was very good last season but I don't know that the team desperately needs her 3pt shooting.

We got good 3pt shooters coming back. We got frosh that most likely will improve after a year in the system.

The one big thing Williams would add would be experience, having started her last two years at A&M.
    Of course, she is an excellent FT shooter, there is that.

3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Some of our young shooters have "potential", but that means they haven't proven yet in college.

We (Coach Goestenkors?) did recruit Danni out of high school, and believe she came in for an unofficial visit. So, she does have some familiarity with our school. Her parents drive from New Mexico to College Station for all her games, so I consider proximity a plus for us in this situation.

With grad-transfers, the first couple of visits typically indicate the schools in highest consideration. She only visited UConn and then us (if the rumors are true). Guess we'll have to see if she makes any more visits (like Miss. State or South Carolina).

• Like Like x 1
  4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Already the program’s all-time assists leader with 697, Grande has started all 96 of Ball State’s games in the last three seasons. She averaged 9.2 assists per game this past season and averages 7.3 for her career. Grande, a native of Madrid, Spain, was Ball State's third-leading scorer last season at 11.5 points per game.

5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I am still crossing my fingers for A&M's Danni Williams.

https://12thman.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4936

2017-18 (36 games)
    183-441 FG-FGA .415
    71-184 3FG-3FGA .386
    74-88 FT-FTA .841
    14.2 ppg

2016-17 (34 games)
    193-503 FG-FGA .384
    63-174 3FG-3FGA .362
    114-139 FT-FTA .800
    16.6 ppg

• Like Like x 3
  6. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

News on Danni Williams' teammate, Anriel Howard. There's still a chance for us and Danni @Moooooo :e-thinking:

• Like Like x 1
  7. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Two things about this:

a) geez how many more open spots does Miss State have?
    b) transfer within the SEC? I thought that was a big no-no there. Then again, it's "just WBB" so maybe they don't care

• Like Like x 1
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Believe it or not, the SEC has the most lenient transfer rules out there among the big major conferences (at least in women's hoops). If an undergrad transfers within their conference, they don't lose a year of eligibility (like the Big 12); they simply have to sit out one season. South Carolina has gotten undergrad transfers from Tennessee and Kentucky recently. So, that rule would apply to those transfers from Ole Miss should they transfer to Miss. State.

For grad transfers like Anriel Howard, there is no required sit-out season; so, that works no different than if she was transferring out of the SEC (like LSU's Chloe Jackson transferring to Baylor).

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I hope the timing of this post on Instagram by Danni Williams is a good sign for us landing her (and an upcoming announcement we will like):

• Like Like x 4
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

This blurb on the TexAgs thread about Danni transferring is from the poster who reported she had visited Texas recently:

Now that it's been announced that both are leaving, here's the cold, hard truth..... neither wanted to play another year with the current point guard. Anriel will be playing in the SEC next season, MISS ST or USC. Danni probably TU. Neither will play, score or rebound as much as they did at TAMU.

• Like Like x 5
  11. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Wherever Anriel and Danni end up, I hope they play as much or more minutes than they did at m&a.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I believe Danni played 35 minutes a game for A&M as she was hardly ever in foul trouble; Howard did get into foul trouble.

If we get Danni, and she steps in for Ariel in a similar offense as we ran this past season, I think she is as good a replacement as we could have dreamed. Different players, but very similar stats. But, Danni showed she can stay out of foul trouble!

• Like Like x 4
  13. LutherIsMyDog

It would be satisfying on several levels to see Danni singing "The Eyes of Texas" with her new Texas Longhorn family. Hope we get good news soon.

@Moooooo --you were comparing Danni's stats to Ariel's. Danni is also a "lefty" --just like Ariel. I think she's meant to be a Horn.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Even though I browse on twitter, I don't have a twitter account; so, I can't see who has started to follow whom. So, I guess @LutherIsMyDog might have to do the sleuthing around twitter to see who is following @danniwill3, and vice verse.

15. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

While watching A&M women's basketball games this last season, I recall a discussion during the television broadcast as the cameras flashed to Danni Williams's parents in the arena, that Danni is extremely close to her parents and family and she chose Texas A&M so that her parents can make the drive to watch her play.

If family remains a priority it bodes well for Texas, especially since Austin is nearer to Clovis, NM.

• Like Like x 3
  16. LutherIsMyDog

Danni follows TxWBB, Coach George, LaShann, Ariel and Charli Collier and they follow her with the exception of TxWBB and Ariel. I'm no expert but it looks like Danni has recently started following TxWBB, LaShann, Ariel and Charli. Twitter forensics is an inexact science so it's difficult to determine who followed who/when.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I have had a very good feeling about Danni since we got wind that she might grad-transfer, and it's only intensifying; same feeling I had about Destiny Littleton one year ago.

I liked this post on RebKell's forum earlier today 05/02:

Danni Williams decision will be coming soon . Looks like she wont be going too far away from college station .

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=93983&start=250

• Like Like x 5
  18. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Well, most of the signs seem to be pointing to Texas.
    While I think the team would be fine without her, Danni would add an additional experienced guard to the rotation. One who has played and played well against top notch competition. At this point, only LaShann and Sug have extensive playing time in the backcourt.

The only caveat I have is that her FG% is not great although her 3pt % is pretty good. She is a solid offensive and defensive player.

She will do well wherever she ends up at.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

21. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 3
  22. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

So many questions about implications if she does join. But pointless to ask until/unless it actually occurs.

• Like Like x 1
  23. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Watching the aggies casually this year, Williams really impressed me. I always like lefties as they have an advantage. I do think she could have scored more with a different style point guard. However, scoring more points is probably not the primary reason to transfer. Obviously with Howard also leaving, both players simply didn’t enjoy the team make-up and wanted their last year to be more. Watching the Horns play, with most having fun with unselfish play, I can’t imagine Williams going anywhere else. Perfect situation for her on a team that needs her skills and experience. The article says she graduates May 11 and should announce about that time. So I am about 97.68% sure she picks the Horns then. So I am relaxing with that knowledge. With 6 new players and a new asst. coach it should be fun this next year.

• Like Like x 3
  24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Good outlook!

• Like Like x 2
  25. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Ahhh, graduating May 11th, that makes sense. As a Longhorn who went to Aggie grad school, I can understand the delay IF she picks us. You don't want your friends and acquanintances bugging you up to and including graduation day, "Why do you have to go to TU?" Trust me, that will happen 24/7.

• Like Like x 3
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

SEC does a good job with these intra-conference transfers:

• Like Like x 3
  27. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Danni is a Longhorn!

• Like Like x 7
  28. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Welcome Danni!!