2018 Transfer Season

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

This has got to be a first in the history of the rivalry! She is going to get some major abuse in her social media accounts from the poor Aggies! I love this girl’s moxie! She will be an immediate fan favorite for the Lady Longhorns!!

• Like Like x 8
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Great get by Coach Aston and staff. She’s a very good free throw and three point shooter.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We've gotten some A&M transfers in track and field. I know we've had at least one softball pitcher transfer to A&M.

This is part of deal with us now being in different conferences.

• Like Like x 2
  4. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yes, one of the track athletes was Ashton Zamzow. Her entire family went to a&m. If I recall, she did an interview where she felt she had basically been brainwashed by her parents when it came to a&m.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Really happy with this addition. Coach A's first incoming grad-transfer after having lost a couple in the past (Sarah Hattis and Khaleann).

She is not a perfect replacement for Ariel's productivity (especially in rebounding), but as I said before, we couldn't have landed a better grad-transfer to help fill some of our lost offense by Brooke and Ariel.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 9
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 7
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

https://texassports.com/news/2018/5...s-womens-basketball-as-graduate-transfer.aspx

QUOTES

TEXAS HEAD COACH KAREN ASTON
    "We are extremely excited to bring Danni to the Forty Acres for the 2018-19 season. She is a seasoned basketball player who will immediately bring some maturity and experience to our backcourt. She is a gym rat also, which I think fits with our players, and is a sponge when it comes to wanting to be the best she can be in all areas of her life. Danni clicked with our players and staff from the start and it seemed like it was a perfect fit. I appreciate her maturity and respect in the process, and believe she and our program will benefit from her coming to Texas. Lastly, there are very few that fit the mold of student-athlete the way that Danni does and we are proud to add her to the Longhorn Family."

DANNI WILLIAMS
    "I am very excited to join the University of Texas women's basketball team. I'm thankful to Coach Aston and her staff for recruiting me throughout this process. I am excited to learn and play for them in my final season. I can't wait to start working with my new teammates and be on the Forty Acres soon."

• Like Like x 7
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

With Danni making it official, I’d guess the likelihood of Anriel returning is about 5%.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Oddly, Anriel was the one who was supposed to announce her decision today (her birthday).

Danni's Dad was quoted the other day as saying that Danni would announce a decision after her graduation on May 11. My thought was that if she did not make an official visit anywhere else this weekend, and with the new restrictions preventing any recruiting of players from May 7-13, we were in great shape to land her, and announcement would be made early this week. Was not expecting it to be today, Sunday.

• Like Like x 4
  12. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

She must be one tough cookie if she now plans to walk for her diploma after this announcement. Kudos to her and the Texas staff. Welcome home, Danni! #HookEm

• Like Like x 6
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  14. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Welcome to TEXAS, Danny! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  16. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Welcome to Texas, Danni! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  17. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Found this response to Danni’s announcement. Sounds like she’s not so sure yet.

• Like Like x 3
  19. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I think the coaches and Danni realized if she announced where she was going to transfer in the middle of the dead period, no one the coaching staff could respond. Any response might be considered "recruiting" and contact.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I’m not sure about the rules when it comes to Financial Aid agreements, which Danni signed yesterday, but don’t they treat them as de facto LOIs in other sports making it okay for the new coaches/school to comment?

21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Not sure how the new rules affected things. But, regardless of any "announcement" by Danni, Texas officials would not be able to comment or issue a release unless Danni had signed the required paperwork with Texas. At that point, they could. I think the Spring signing period extends for the rest of May, but not positive. This "dead" period or "quiet" period which does not allow coaches to contact recruits is probably not applicable for players who sign, even if they sign during this week-long period.

I recall when Mo Bamba signed with the men; it wasn't an LOI since he waited until after the signing period was over. But, Texas did not comment until he signed the financial aid agreement.

If other transfers make their signings official between now and the 13th, we'll see how schools handle the official release of their statements.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Not surprising, but Natalie Chou has decided to transfer from Baylor:

https://sicem365.com/s/2669/wbb-chou-granted-release-to-transfer/4

I recall when she chose Baylor over us, and I stated that I wasn't upset as I just didn't think she'd be any more than a role player on a Top 25 team. Needs to be wide open to get off her shot. I didn't think she had the athleticism that Mulkey typically recruits.

I think she will land at Cal or UCLA.

• Like Like x 2
  23. LutherIsMyDog

Are they still expecting another transfer? Are the folks on the BU bulletin board upset or okay with the Chou transfer?

• Like Like x 1
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Not many have posted yet.

I was just thinking yesterday that if Baylor didn't have a transfer or two, they'd have very few scholarships to offer for 2019 (already have Jordyn Oliver, and two spots left) and 2020. Mulkey is just making room . . . ;)

25. LutherIsMyDog

Do the two remaining spots include Chou's spot? (BTW, thanks for the info. There's always a possibility that I might get triggered when I visit the BU boards so I choose to stay away.) :e-face-tears:

• Like Like x 1
  26. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

It's gonna take awhile for the fact that Ariel and Brooke are no longer around to sink in. That's what makes the Williams transfer even more important and better insurance for our backcourt.

Assuming Shae is on scholarship, when was the last time we had 15 scholarship players?

27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

2015-2016 though only 14 active players (Khaleann redshirting).

• Like Like x 2
  28. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yes, you were correct in your assessment. I thought that she would be a really good player for them. But when you look at Baylor next year now would be a great time for Coach Aston to start working on zone defenses. IMO Baylor’s perimeter jump shooting will be an issue. Playing zone will also help with dealing with their inside play.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I think Cara Ursin was the player most expect to transfer as she got very few minutes this past season despite Baylor's depleted roster.

30. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Raoul's keeping track! 13 out of 25. Wow.

• Like Like x 1