2018 WNBA: April 12

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Apr 3, 2018.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's balanced scoring!

• Like Like x 2
  2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

What to expect from Dream, Mercury, Mystics and Storm in semis

:beertoast:

• Like Like x 3
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

A Big 12 player(s) will be crowned as part of the WNBA champions.

Atlanta:
    Imani McGee-Stafford, Texas
    Alexis Prince, Baylor

Washington:
    Ariel Atkins, Texas

Phoenix:
    Brittney Griner, Baylor

Seattle:
    Courtney Paris, Oklahoma

• Like Like x 1
  6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Washington squeaks by Atlanta, 87-84. Ariel did a nice job defending the inbound pass on Atlanta's last gasp shot to tie.
    EDD was great, hitting 10-22, including 10-10 FTs for 32 pts. Tolliver had a poor game, making only 3-12 from the field for 8 pts. Ariel had 15 pts, Cloud 13 and Hawkins 11 pts to lead the Mystics.

Imani did not get into the game (Coach's decision) as both teams shorten their benches with Washington only playing 8 players and Atlanta 7.

• Like Like x 4
  7. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

DT got T’d up at the end of the first half in the eventual Mercury loss. Her deadpan delivery of the explanation was only outdone by Bonner’s reaction.

• Like Like x 5
  9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Once you get pass the ad, video shows most, if not, of Ariel's scoring plays. :hookem2:

Ariel's getting a lot of face time on those game ads.

• Like Like x 3
  10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

only a few hours away from tipoffs! :hookem2:

Awesome to see Shaq visiting the Mystics!

• Like Like x 1
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Another glowing review of Ariel...

“There are two types of players in college. I was the headache, Ariel was the workhorse,” McGee-Stafford says. “She’s the epitome of the coach’s favorite player. She’s going to work hard, going to do everything the coach says. She’s just awesome.”

Rookie Ariel Atkins Is Doing It All for the Washington Mystics

• Like Like x 3
  12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Using the WNBA’s draft lottery chances (record the last 2 seasons), Las Vegas gets the first overall pick for the third year in a row followed by NY, Indiana and Chicago. Players mentioned for consideration at #1: Kalani Brown, Teaira McCowan, Arike Ogunbawale, Katie Lou Samuelson and Asia Durr. LV HC/GM Bill Laimbeer was pretty coy and mentioned he already had a young team but I can’t imagine them not taking one of the bigs - would be an upgrade over Swords and let A’ja Wilson spend most of the game at PF.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I certainly hope it’s a case of “looks worse than it is” but Delle Donne just hyperextended her knee severely. Was helped straight to the locker room.

14. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Man, that sucks. Sure didn't look good.

15. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

yeah, that knee injury looked nasty the couple of times they replayed it. Hopefully, it is only hyperextended. Still, don't think she will be back by the weekend. She might not be back for the finals if the Mystics advance that far. Hopefully, no ligament or other structural damage.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

update on EDD during the Seattle-Phoenix game, she said "the swelling is not too bad" and she expects to be okay. If she can play again in this series, she has rubber knees.

• Like Like x 3
  17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Lottery results during halftime of the Washington-Atlanta game:
    1. Las Vegas Aces
    2. New York Liberty
    3. Indiana Fever
    4. Chicago Sky

18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Indiana has to be a bit peeved. They are the smallest team in the league IIRC and now have to make a move to guarantee the big they covet.

• Like Like x 2
  19. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Fingers crossed that EDD really will be able to play Friday and play effectively.
    Delle Donne hurts knee; swelling 'isn't terrible'

• Like Like x 2
  20. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

from sportscenter: EDD has a bone bruise and is doubtful for Friday's game.
    Mystics need more scoring from Tolliver, Cloud and Ariel than they got in game two to have a chance to win.

• Like Like x 4
  21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Ariel selected to WNBA All-Defensive 2nd Team. Not bad for someone not invited to the draft. Some heavy hitters on this list.

• Like Like x 3
  23. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

wow, that's great! Very impressive first year for Ariel! :bow:

• Like Like x 2
  24. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Game three previews:
    Game 3 keys: Storm can clinch but Dream-Mystics is all even

25. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ariel is the only rookie named to the All Defensive team! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Something I didn’t realize until seeing it after the announcement - not only is Ariel the only rookie but also the only player on their first contract (4 years or less in the league).

• Like Like x 2
  27. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Horns are everywhere!

• Like Like x 4
  28. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

29. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Dream take game three 81-76.

Washington needed Tolliver, Cloud and Ariel to step up. Ariel (Atkins) and Ariel (Powers) did, Tolliver and Cloud did not, although Tolliver did have six assists. Tolliver went 3-15 (1-9 from BTA) for seven pts. Cloud had a worse night, going 1-7 (0-1 from BTA) for three pts to go with six rebs. Atkins had 17 pts on 6-10 (3-4 from BTA) with 8 rebs while Powers led the team with 18 pts off the bench, making 5-15 FGs, 0-3 from BTA and 8-8 FTs along with 8 rebs. Both Ariels had outstanding games. I would think Washington needs a scorer in next year’s draft.

Not sure why Tolliver struggles so much against Atlanta, even when EDD was playing, she had trouble making her shots, not normally a problem for her.

I was surprised at how close the game was throughout. I had expected Atlanta to steamroll Washington, similar to Phoenix’s 86-66 win over Seattle.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

That's pretty cool if it were totally random. I knew Ariel was being under rated and some WNBA GM's were going to be disappointed. Glad to see her being what I knew she would be.

I ended up on the same rental car bus as CW for an away FB game once. It was pretty funny.

• Like Like x 3