2019 Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Mar 27, 2019.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

2. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

3. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

That's what he has to say right now. If offered, my bet is he's gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Agreed. I will bet that Tennessee is probably the only place he'd be willing to leave Louisville for.... being from Kentucky and also being able to step right in to a situation where he's got some great talent on the roster. My bet is that he goes if the right offer is made, but then who does Louisville go after to replace him? His top assistant just got a HC position elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I guess we’ll find out...

6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

8. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Wonder if Mulkey would be tempted to go to Louisville? Stay with me here. Louisville's athletic department was/is a train wreck and I can see Walz ending up at Tennessee if the money is right. There's the bigger cachet of historical Tennessee and the historical recruiting base as well.

I mention Mulkey only in relation to the fact that people indicate that she seems burned out at Baylor. Maybe you've climbed the Himalayas enough times and want to try K2? Then again......I wonder if Tennessee might go for Mulkey? Ehhhh, probably not.

• Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  9. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

I pray tennessee hires karen aston!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • poop poop x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

You know you just started some :e-poo: right?

Don't feel bad, I'm having a seance as we speak.

:beertoast:
    :lmao:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

That happened a lot faster than I thought it would (if it’s true).

12. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Good hire if true he’s a really good coach.

13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

That would've been my choice if Walz didn't take the job, or if I could not afford Walz. Wes Moore is an EXCELLENT coach... one of the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for sharing. I don't care for her much, although she is one hell of a coach. After her statement of blatant bigotry, I really don't like her now.

I understand and agree with everything she says about women needing opportunities, but to discriminate against a qualified person based on gender makes her no better than one of the good ol' boys, a klansman, or a member of any other group with prejudicial motives.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  16. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Thank you Coach Aston for having such a diverse group on your staff. True meaning of equality.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Interesting developments with Sylvia Hatchell and North Carolina.

18. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I can see no way Walz would go to Tennessee after such great success at Louisville, and especially after his comment in defense of Holly (unless, of course, they offered some ungodly sum of money that Louisville couldn't match.) No way Kim Mulkey would leave Waco. Why should she? She's been sitting pretty for a long time just where she is. I'll never understand why Gail G. left Duke to come here (I bet she can't believe she did it, either.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Generally speaking, I believe in being gender blind. But I see how Muffet feels. There used to be hardly any male coaches in WBB. Leon Barmore, Geno, Foster at Vanderbilt, the guy from Wayland Baptist. Now it seems like male coaches are schools' first choice. Aren't most WNBA coaches male? It seems like I have read the statistics, and the percentage of male coaches in WBB has gone up dramatically. It's sort of the opposite of fields that used to be dominated by males that have now become majority female (psychology comes to mind.) Salaries go down as women begin to predominate.

20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

If you want a job done, you better hire the right PERSON to do it. I'm not going to sit here and say that I don't respect and admire the female coaches, as that would be a false statement. I can think of plenty that I, as a male athlete, would have been thrilled to play for because of their superior knowledge, savvy and intensity. Having said that, their have been many, many male coaches that have contributed to the women's game at the secondary and collegiate levels, and been instrumental in elevating the game to the ever evolving product we see today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Wes Moore is an outstanding basketball coach. When he lived in Carrollton, he went to our church and he is well thought of. His teams have excelled at NC State even with the injuries they had. He would be a good hire at Tennessee. That would be a huge shift in culture from the Summitt/Warlick eras. Sometimes such a shift is the only way to get away from the past. Warlick had an almost impossible task following Summitt. If Moore is hired he would have Tennessee back in the national title hunt very quickly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

If you read the McGraw link, there were a lot of good points. One that no one really wants to talk about is that a lot of women prefer to be coached by men. I don't want to go into all the reasons why so you can guess away. I had a supervisor opening years ago in the corporate world that had only women in the group. The women 100% told me that they wanted a male supervisor. The article points out that most of the ADs are white men and so that is the reason they hire white men to coach women's basketball. Probably so. Also perhaps, a lot of the WNBA and college teams are going that way is because the players respond to male coaching. Is that fair...….no.....but it may be reality.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  23. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Looks like Wes Moore is staying put - at least for the immediate future.

24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  25. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  26. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  27. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Whaaaaat! This is quite the surprise. She was such a successful commentator at ESPN. Wouldn't mind seeing her coming back to Texas some day.

28. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Congratulations to Nell Fortner and Georgia Tech! From recent news reports, it seems as if "great person" with great people skills is exactly what Georgia Tech needs right now.

29. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

VV Surprised as I thought she loved the broadcasting gig. Where are we going to get another HOMER as good as Fran calling our games?

30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Yeah - needs to hit the ground selling her vision:
    “She inherits a Georgia Tech team that went 17-13 (7-9) last season, but whose top four leading scorers all are currently in the transfer portal.”