2019 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Jun 8, 2017.

1. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I thought Ricky never considered A&M because of Parker

As for Major, he attracted a lot of interest from big schools because he was deemed the leader of that talent laden team at Catholic HS. Everyone wanted the RB, not many wanted Major for Major. I was in Tallahassee when Warrick hosted his Cousin (???), and the Noles sat him in the endzone, which was totally unimpressive. I actually talked to the kid, and he seemed unimpressed and bored. Because of Warrick, not really any chance for any other school.

I don't know how much consideration Major gave A&M, but I do know A&M was trying to use Major to get the attention of the other 6-7 kids on that team.

2. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Major originally committed to them and switched to us a few days later. Ricky was quoted in numerous articles as liking A&M. Parker called Slocum in the middle of his press conference on NSD to commit.

3. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

He signed with someone this week, he's an EE right?

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

lol, he was just kidding (I think)

6. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

It's funny when people mess up correcting someone else.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Well considering is probably too light of a term. I should have said "taking official visits to".

8. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  9. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

^I never get tired on watching highlights of Vince...

10. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Me neither. Smoothest runner ever.

11. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I believe VY to be the best ever qb. Just can't say enough. His highlights are just amazing. Saw him play in the alamodome for the state championship.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Most ESPN 4-star/5-star signings/commits as of Dec. 23:

Alabama 25
    UGA, ou, Michigan, stupid aggies 18
    Texas 17
    FLA, Clemson, ND 16
    Oreg 15
    PSU, FSU, Auburn 13
    LSU, Tenn, USC, MSU 12
    Wash 11
    tOSU, PigPen 10

13. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Who’s your surprise pick? Off of tape I think Owens should pair up with overshown and Washington has one of the most impressive offer lists

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Commits in all-star games:

Under Armour (Jan 3, Orlando, ESPN2)
    David Gbenda
    Roschon Johnson
    Brayden Liebrock
    Jake Smith
    Kenyatta Watson
    Marcus Washington

All-American Bowl (Jan 5, San Antonio, NBC)
    De'Gabriel Floyd
    Tyler Owens
    Jordan Whittington
    (+ Bru McCoy)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I guess Whittington is no longer a surprise?
    Sweat is underrated
    Gbenda is the best ILB in the state
    Both JUCOs could easily be starting in 2019
    Brown is good and might be playing too although ideally he would get a RS

16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Not bad for a smallish class. What is the % of 4/5 star per class size? Also note we need to go to JUCO route too

17. I_Dont_Exist

I've no problem with JUCO's. Does anyone besides me remember the early days of this site when they were beneath us? Time changes us all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I assume this means McCoy hasn't signed with anybody and it's still us vs USC?

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Not signed as far as we know

• Like Like x 1
  20. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

The Purple Wizard made a living off of JUCO's IIRC. Some community college in Kansas comes to mind....

21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

So did Nebraska - haven for non qualifiers

There are multiple jucos in Kansas which were used by P5 schools. Woody Hayes, for example, had a preference for Coffeyville, and had alums funneling cash to the coaches & administration as well as paying the players families.

Independence, Garden City, Coffeyville were merely boring stops on the way to P5 schools.

Coach Snyder just capitalized on developing relationships with the coaches.

22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I remember when JUCO's were considered beneath Texas. But if they are academically qualified then they are like any other transfer student and should be welcome.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Me either. I only mention it cause JUCO’s are 3 star by definition, thus hurting our ratings when get 2-3

24. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Scholarship sports is kind of a mercenary game. We offer people from all over with no roots at all in Texas. Once they put on the jersey then they are accepted and loved. But in this day and age, the players are looking for what's best for them and not being true to a particular school. Look at Kyler Murray. Would we not have loved him like a favorite son had he come here instead of OU? He left A&M and it was a great decision. Who would argue that he should have stayed (notwithstanding it was aggy)? The players all see how Baker and Kyler transferred and won Heisman Trophies. It's the way of the world. So we have to backfill anyway we can and as I said before, if they are academically qualified then there should be no stain or "yes but" to any success we enjoy. They aren't flawed people. We shouldn't assume the program is to be made of pure-bloods because it isn't.

25. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

He signed last week, just announcing it at the game. Our coaches know if he’s a Horn or Trojan.

26. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

A question for which I should know the answer, but can’t remember:

Prior to the early signing period, if a player wanted to enroll at the beginning of the semester in January, how was that handled financially by the school since to legal commitment had been made?

27. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I am trying to decide wether I am happy about the group that we did getwhich is a nice class or feel some sadness( can't think of a better word right now) about the ones we didn't get. If we land McCoy-doubtful and Shepherd that will definitely take me to a happy emotion.

28. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

So someone help me. Are players now able to transfer- using the transfer portal, without waiting out a year to play again? If so isn't that going to be chaotic for the coaches and be bad for college football. Leaping from one team to another at will seems detrimental.

29. I_Dont_Exist

Only grad transfers are eligible immediately. Others have to sit a year unless given a hardship waiver.

30. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

what qualifies as hardship

• Funny Funny x 1