2019 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I'm still pissed we missed on Jorrie Adams. Damn he was a difference maker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

If the next VY is from Allen or Duncanville then we better all over his jock. I'm a Houston guy AD... but Texas should go after the best no matter what.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Rhett will be the UT linebacker's worst nightmare!" - Bomar's father. LMAO!
    Another play I never get tired of watching is him getting trucked and rolling on the ground while we return the fumble for six.

• Like Like x 5
  4. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

He got sacked or knocked down close to a dozen times in the game. That was the one time he didn't pop right back up. And he kept playing. Whatever.

5. Horns R Back

Horns R Back 250+ Posts

6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Why would either of those two answer the phone?

They have such a misguided sense of self worth in the Third Ward, I'm surprised they aren't talking about hiring Bear Bryant, Tom Landry, or Knute Rockne

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Horns R Back

Horns R Back 250+ Posts

Holgorsen is a reach IMO but Kingsbury is familiar recruiting Texas and might prefer to be a head coach and be in control of his destiny given the fact that one more bad year from Helton and he is toast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, but if Zipper produces at Third Ward, what happens the next year?

I he produces at USC even if Helton gets canned, he is much more marketable.

9. Horns R Back

Horns R Back 250+ Posts

I dont disagree that he would be more marketable with a solid showing at USC but with a couple good years in Houston he would have offers from larger schools or at the very least have leverage to increase his salary. Of course a poor performance either place would definitely take his career a step back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

"Hello, Bru ... were you watching the game last night .... "

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Several CB’s for Jadon Haselwood to the land thieves.
    Not good

12. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Eh. I think he's going to Auburn or Georgia. They each have only one solid WR recruit in their classes. Oklahoma is has two 5 stars already in writing. It's the reason Arjey Henderson moved on....

13. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

I hope you are right, and those guys that do it for a living are wrong.
    This guy looks like a legit game changer.

14. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

I'd just be surprised since his OU visit was so long ago.

15. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

16. horn_fan_cpa

horn_fan_cpa 100+ Posts

Interesting that pretty much every point in the write-up indicates he would sign with USC and then the prediction is for Texas. I hope the prediction is right.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. 2003TexasGrad

Yeah that made zero sense. That prediction is garbage.

18. Horns R Back

Horns R Back 250+ Posts

Every quote or interview Ive seen lately from Mccoy has me thinking hes going to usc. Cant remember where I saw it but hes talking about sc’s marshall business school and how hes going to pursue a degree in business. Hope im pleasantly surprised.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I read recently both of Noah Cain's parents graduated from Penn State. It's weird but I dont recall seeing that until after signing day. Seems like it would have been relevant info

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

From the UA Game
    He was the MVP
    Which means in this WR class, we got the Gatorade POY, the UA All-American game MVP and Jordan Whittington

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The most recent direct quotes from McCoy I could find --

"I’m taking it with a grain of salt. As blessed as I am to have an opportunity to choose a school, it’s a lot more than just making a choice. It’s also about putting the work in and putting the hours in. In my mind, it’s objective. I have a goal. I put myself in this position, so why would I think anything negative of it? I’m still having fun with it. It’s coming down to the end. It’s supposed to be fun. To do it in this environment and with my family flying in from all over the country, I’m just excited to experience that."

"I know where I want to go. I figured it out. I’m ready."

"No, I haven’t signed. Basically, I’m going to enroll and figure it out."

"Yeah, they have. They have just been telling me the facts. Everyone obviously sees the media, and (Kliff) Kingsbury is doing interviews for NFL jobs. You have a school with stability, and you have a school that could lose their offensive coordinator right after hiring him and a head coach on the hot seat. That’s a lot of their pitch. Also, you see the energy around Texas right now, winning the Sugar Bowl and people getting behind them. They’re coming back. That’s kind of the way they spoke to me about things. You can be a part of something that’s already going in the right direction or go try to start something. It’s true in a sense, but it’s all about your perspective. Everyone is like why do you want to go follow in the footsteps (at USC)? But it’s not really following in their footsteps. If I were from Texas and would go to Texas, it would be the same thing."

"To a certain degree, yes (the Kingsbury talk affects me). But I’m going to get my education. Coaching changes suck. But it is what it is. As soon as people understand that this is a business through and through, the easier it will become to make these adjustments. If I’m the best player, I’m going to be on the field and the ball is still going to be in the air. A coaching change would be unfortunate if it were to happen, but it’s not going to completely influence my decision."

"No (I haven't talked to Kingsbury recently), but on my home visit, he told me if he wanted to take an NFL job, he could have. He also explained that if it were about money, he would have gone to the NFL. But he said he wanted to be at SC and in LA. He said he was getting offered NFL jobs long before he took this job. That kind of speaks for itself."

• Like Like x 2
  22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Well articulated.

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

A couple of pulled quotes from the latest TFB (by Andrew King)

In the past few classes, Texas has failed to sign an elite offensive tackle in the state of Texas. With guys like Greg Little and Walker Little on pace to become first round draft picks. Texas got their guy in 2019. Tyler Johnson signed on Wednesday, and even bigger news is that he’s enrolling early at Texas. The was some talk that he wasn’t sure if he’d have enough credits to finish in December. He’ll be in Austin early and has a real chance to play in 2019.

Another thing about Johnson is that he’s physically ready to play right now. At 6’5 310, and he’s only going to get bigger in Yancy McKnight’s weight program when January rolls around.

-----------

Wide receiver Jake Smith and tight end Brayden Liebrock are two guys who I think are going to be real difference makers in Austin. Smith is the Gatorade High School Player of the Year. With former winners of the award being guys like Kyler Murray, Jonathan Gray, Jacob Eason, JT Daniels. Smith is elite, and could make a real impact as a true freshman in the slot and in the return game.

Liebrock is someone I expect a lot from, but maybe not as much as a freshman. At 6’5 220, Liebrock is going to gain some weight in the offseason. But the biggest question for him is going to be how he adjusts to the physicality of the college game at tight end. Liebrock is the best receiving tight end that Texas has landed in quite awhile.

I noted this in the comments in one of our recent posts, but offensive coordinator Tim Beck deserves so much credit for landing these two. He has strong ties to the state of Arizona, and he got Smith and Liebrock to buy into his offensive vision.

Open Post | Weekend, January 4th - 6th - The Football Brainiacs - UT Edition

• Like Like x 4
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Somebody on IT did snapshot of our current player rankings
    To see if and how they change post all star games

[​IMG]

Barton Simmons liked both Floyd and Owens

"LB De'Gabriel Floyd (64) - Lining up in the middle of the defense, Floyd has been around the football all week, and especially on Thursday. He has a great nose for the ball, great ability to recognize and diagnose and gets downhill in a hurry. Floyd is going to Texas."

"Texas signee Tyler Owens (197) continues to impress us. Not only did he have an interception for the second straight day but he also had a tackle for loss in a team period. He has so much upside with his length, speed and ball skills."

• Like Like x 1
  26. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Boy, that seems like an awful lot of explaining why all of the coaching turbulence at USC doesn't mean much to him and he seems to be ok with it all.

27. horn_fan_cpa

horn_fan_cpa 100+ Posts

I agree with their assessment on Whittington. Anyone who watched him in the State championship game has to feel like he will play soon and play a lot, especially if LJH declares for the draft. Sam will have no shortage of playmakers on the exterior, IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. 2003TexasGrad

I think we will be just fine if he goes with USC. I'm ready for this saga to end.

• Agree Agree x 6
  29. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I took it that the article copy was written before, and they just had time to change the prediction (on new info) but not rewrite the article.

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

3 other OLs to this list --
    Ira Henry (St. Louis)
    Ira Henry, Trinity Catholic, Offensive Tackle
    Dawand Jones (Indianapolis)
    Dawand Jones, Ben Davis, Offensive Tackle
    UCLA Transfer Justin Murphy
    Justin Murphy, UCLA, Offensive Tackle

Inside Texas says on the OLs --
    "The staff is a bit undecided on what direction to go. In a perfect world they'd hold back at the position and take the number to six in 2020, even if it's a smaller class."

• Dislike Dislike x 1