2019 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

From 247s Greg Biggins: Top 10 Performers from Under Armour All-American Game

8. Kenyatta Watson was outstanding all week and definitely looks like one of the more under-rated defensive backs in the country. When you look at his length, athleticism, toughness, motor and skill set, he checks off every box you could want in a next level corner. He had arguably the best performance by any defensive back this week during Tuesday’s workout and just oozes upside and potential. Watson is headed to Texas and should bolster an already strong secondary.

10. Marcus Washington was one of the MVPs of the game Thursday night after catching seven passes for 89 yards and two touchdowns. Washington had a good week of practice as well showing some of the strongest hands in the event. At 6-2, 195 pounds, Washington is a physical receiver who can bully smaller corners. He has excellent body control, catches the ball well through contact and has a natural feel for how to get open and get separation. The Texas signee should make a lot of plays for the Longhorn program in the coming years.

Top 10 Performers from Under Armour All-American Game

• Like Like x 4
  2. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

You hate to miss on anyone, at any position. The Bru saga has been exhausting. If the events that unfolded in the past few months didn’t sway him from his boyhood school, then NOTHING would have.
    Honestly we never had a real shot it seems. He loved it here, but knew where he wanted to be all along.
    As far as Wilson, same thing. Coaching issues all year in Columbus, instability, lies, and rumors.
    We play for the conference championship with all these young players, what would it have taken?
    If we miss, let it be at receiver.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It's interesting. These two recruits in particular had something in their head; coeds? $$$$? Stability apparently meant nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

but now rumors that KK may seek buy out to pursue NFL options

5. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

What's on the 25th?

6. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Probably an unofficial

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

IIRC its his OV

edit -

8. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Where did mcglothern choose his school to play? Is he 2019 or 2020?

9. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Thanks JF! Strange he’s had all this time, most everyone has signed, let alone done with OV’s (only get 5 total I think) and he still has at least 3. I’m guessing he is enjoying the process?
    Johnny be good?

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

UVA Grad transfer OL RJ Proctor (6'4,335) said he plans on visiting us
    He is a solid interior OL with starting experience. He started 6 games at LG for Virginia in 2018 (after dealing with an injury early in the year) and is credited for giving the offense some life upon his return to the lineup. He started 5g as a junior. FSU has already offered him.

RJ Proctor, Liberty, Offensive Tackle

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Another possible JUCO OL is Desmond Bland (6'4,300), from Arizona Western College and who is committed to Bugeater but "still exploring other options." He is a May grad.
    Bland spoke with Hand recently and wants to OV here

He was a dominant 4-star in high school (ILL) but an academic casualty. At JUCO, he made NJCAA First Team All-American as a true freshman, playing at LT. Although not the perfect height for an LT, the film shows he plays with good level and leverage. He has excellent knee bend, quick feet and heavy hands which help in pass pro. Bland is also strong - once he latches on to a defender as a run blocker they generally end up on their back as you can see in the film. He definitely is a finisher

• Like Like x 2
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I've read it's possible he may OV to us soon
    But I am still skeptical we will offer. They say he would commit if we do, otherwise he is Okie Light.
    We will see

• Like Like x 1
  14. horn_fan_cpa

horn_fan_cpa 100+ Posts

JF, why the hesitancy on Glass? He's actually rated higher by ESPN than our other RB signee, D Brown. Are there other issues at play?

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We may be a little gun shy on Katy guys. The idea is that because that program is so well developed that the players have already maxed out in high school. No more upside. Or maybe we just dont think he is the right fit. I thought he looks better on the highlights than Porter. Or, maybe there is something else going on we dont know about. We will see.

16. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Perhaps he is a "culture fit" risk?
    Clearly TH and staff seem serious about that.

• poop poop x 1
  17. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Sterns seems to have wisdom beyond his years.

We absolutely cannot have enough players like him!!

:hookem: for you Mr. Sterns

• Like Like x 4
  18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not to mention that Gary Joseph's OL is better than ours

19. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Give us another chance! :whiteflag:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  20. horn_fan_cpa

horn_fan_cpa 100+ Posts

I thought it might have something to do with lower "upside". Seems like the current staff is looking more for the guys that have more room to grow, especially compared to the MB days. Although Anderson at blowU was pretty good when he wasn't hurt. Wasn't he a Katy guy?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Tommy likey!!

I think we are looking at a few LB and D-line transfers as well. A couple grad transfers like Bland and we will be restocked for 2019.

I am actually more concerned about CB than the d-line right now. I seem to be the only one. Anyone else concerned with Thompson and Cook at CB? I know they are talented guys but they have very little experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

With the mediocre showing by the SEC in the bowl games, the losses by their two top teams and the annilation last night, one has to wonder if the perception of superiority may be beginning to erode. Given that 17 and 18 year olds have the attention span of gnats and they live in the moment, I have to believe that the default opinion that the SEC is their best path to the NFL may have taken a hit last night and on the 1st.

If I’m correct, that can only help up and coming programs like ours. It will be interesting to see how the 2020 class evolves. Alabama is no longer the default “go to.”

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Moro Ojomo also from Katy

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Yep, in his film, once he gets a grab on someone, he buries them into the dirt. Although I cant speak to the level of competition there.

+ Green (5-star), Boyce and Jamison (high 4-star). But yeah, it looks wobbly to me as well. Watson might be playing too. Maybe even Adimora.

My best guess on the outside starters is Cook/Green, backed up by Watson/Boyce. They will probably both take some arrows early but then calm down (hopefully).
    The starting NB is tougher to see, IMO. Probably Thompson, maybe some Foster or even Jamison or Adimora.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some Bland quotes from 247:

“Our conversation went well. He (Coach Hand) was just telling me that he’s graduating some guys, and he has some younger guys, but he explained what my role would be on the line.”

“He didn’t mention an offer, but I’m pretty sure they’re going to check my grades. But we talked about a visit. There is nothing in particular I want to see. I just want to be on the campus.”

“I’m very interested in Texas. Who wouldn’t be interested in Texas? They have their own channel (laughs). I like the tradition and history that is behind the school.”

26. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Yes, he played at Katy with Kyle Porter

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some quotes from grad transfer OL RJ Proctor from UVA:

“Me and coach Hand had a long talk on the phone, about 20 minutes, on his birthday actually. He called me (on Saturday). The basic thing was, ‘We saw you were in the portal, wanted to contact you as quickly as we could.’ He said they watched some of my film. He talked about the people they have, the tackles they think will go to the league. He wants to surround me with good players. He told me where they need help. They had three senior starters, two guards, so we were just going around, talking about different things they had, how I’d fit in their scheme. He was telling me to come down, hopefully get a visit in."

“He said they want me to get down there, meet the team. He said they wanted me at guard, but I’ll play wherever.”

“The biggest thing is, I’m Virginia. I’ve been in the DMV (D.C./Maryland/Virginia) area most of my life. I committed to Virginia pretty early. I wanted a change, somewhere to help me grow and develop as a person and a player. My main goal is to help the team win, be a starter, get a chance at the NFL. With a different coaching staff and some new things, I think I’ll have a chance with that.”

“Coach was telling me, do some research. He said to look at him, look at Texas. ... I was telling him, when I was younger, I used to always watch the Texas and (ou) game. I’ve always been a Longhorn fan. My number one team was of course Virginia, but I’ve watched Texas a lot."

“Texas is big on football. Everything is bigger in Texas. I always hear how the arenas in football in Virginia are huge, but then I checked out Texas and fell in love with it. They just beat Georgia, that was huge. He said they’re looking to win 10 or 11 games next year, hopefully their quarterback will be a Heisman Trophy winner. That’s a big thing.”

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Another 2019 OL we have spoken too is Ira Henry of St. Louis who is teammates with Marcus Washington and Mookie Cooper.

“I talked to (Bryan Carrington) a while ago. He said he wants to build a relationship. I’m getting to know him. Marcus tells me a lot about him, Mookie (Cooper) tells me a lot about him. He seems like a cool dude,” Henry said.

“I like their big linemen. It looks like they work together as a team. They had a good game against Georgia and it looks like they all get along and have a good time.”

“He (Marcus Washington) said I need to get down there and see it for myself. He didn’t think Texas was a good fit for him but when he saw it for himself that all changed.

“It would be nice to be playing with one of my teammates, have someone there I know. I have to do what’s best for myself at the end of the day, but it’s a better feeling with someone there that I already know.”

Ira Henry, Trinity Catholic, Offensive Tackle

• Like Like x 2