2019 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Derrian Brown's running style reminds me of Tony Dorsett. He's patient, waits for the blocks to develop, has good field vision, and is a smooth runner with smooth deliberate cuts upfield without too many shake-and-bake moves. He also has that long-legged, short torso build, which can make him look like he's running slower than he actually is--similar to Dorsett.

Our proven quality depth is thin at RB, so we clearly are (and should be) on the lookout for more big time RBs. Still, Derrian Brown should not be ignored or downplayed like he's chopped liver or a JAG. Watch his film--he's very good.

[For any lurkers with reading comprehension deficiencies, I'm not saying that incoming Freshman Derrian Brown is as good as Tony Dorsett. I'm pointing out that he's very good, and that his running style conjures memories of Dorsett's style.]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  2. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Nice comparison. I concur and I'm not even a Dorsett or Cowboys fan.

3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We'll see how things shake out in the Spring game and Fall practices, but at the RB position we're probably looking at something like this at the start of next year:

1. Ingram (obviously) -- fast, good field vision, quick cuts, good moves, decent power, the whole package. But he can't carry 25+ carries a game or he's likely to get injured again. Needs relief.
    2. Danny Young -- has the power that's good on short yardage plays and can bounce it to the outside. Also, he's a good blocker and can play the A-back/wing back/TE in the backfield position as needed. His downside: the absolute worst habit a RB can have--he fumbles a lot.
    3. Derrian Brown -- excellent HS film, has the tools, smooth runner, catches passes out of the backfield. But he's still just a true Freshman and has proven nothing on this level yet.
    4. The other guys -- all were good in HS, have shown potential, but have done nothing much yet at this level and have been passed up by younger guys.
    5. A Wildcard for Herman to play -- Jordan Whittington or Jake Smith. Can be played a few times per game at RB, or more regularly. Put them in motion for match-up nightmares, use them on reverses, or just hand it to them out of the backfield like they were Ingram. Use Jordan Whittington in a Wildcat formation (count on Herman doing this). Also, it's good to have these two in the fold in case some of the "true" RBs go down to injuries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Regarding my comprehension decencies (!), Tony Dorsett was very, very fast; not sure that is Brown’s gift. Lots of different running styles can work, though.

5. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I definitely can see the Dorsett comparisons. I watched Dorsett mostly as a pro ... His speed ratio to NFL defenders much like Brown's vs. high schoolers.
    The decisiveness in the hole, the acceleration out of a scrum into daylight ... Brown's highlights remind me of Dorsett highlights.

6. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

It's been stated many times already, but I really hope Kirk Johnson can be the comeback player of the year. The young man has worked very hard to overcome very bad luck. I wish him nothing but the best.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

If I had to compare Brown to anyone, he reminds me of Shon Mitchell, or maybe even Priest Holmes. To be honest, he looks like a much better receiver than a RB.

I'm pretty sure we aren't going to find a quality RB with what's left out there, however with the grad transfers and transfer portal we might find a guy or two to fill in the gaps. I hear Bama might have a RB transfer out, and we could sure use one of those cats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

I too wish him the very best. At this point we're leaving the landing lights on for Amelia Erhardt.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. horn by commitee

horn by commitee 25+ Posts

10. horn by commitee

horn by commitee 25+ Posts

I think you make a great point on Whittington playing the wildcat position! Looked really good in the state championship game. Seems to have that IT factor!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Orangebloods says Javonne Shepherd remains committed to Texas after his aggy OV --

“I’m still committed to Texas. But I will be making my college decision on February 6."

Over the next three weekends, he will OV to Georgia, Alabama and then Texas.

“They have to bring a lot to the table. Texas and (aggy), they have a good plan for me. I’m open to playing (out of state), but I would like to play in state. But it’s really not a problem with me to leave.”

Shepherd says he talks to the Texas staff “every day” and said the UT coaches have stressed how much he’s wanted in Austin.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

4-star S Jalen Catalon of Mansfield Legacy is still out there too
    He is visiting TCU right now
    It's supposed to be down to us, TCU and Pigpen
    The latest was that he was favoring Piggy but no one seems certain with him

13. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Highlights of Texas Signees in the 2019 Under Armour All-America Game

#33 LB David Gbenda
    #16 QB Roschon Johnson
    #17 WR Marcus Washington

• Like Like x 1
  14. Horns R Back

Horns R Back 250+ Posts

Future looks bright. Thanks for posting

15. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Marcus, he's the king.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Gbenda plays angry

:coolnana:

That's what I like in an LB

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

19. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I’m really impressed with Johnson’s quickness. I predict that he is going to bring us more than a few long TD runs. I can’t wait*.

*Of course, I will have to wait until Sam brings us a NC first.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This one is sounding possible

• Like Like x 2
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Wiltfong says its Ark

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Rivals Final 100

Tyler Johnson from 82 to 97
    Jordan Whittington 35 to 33
    Jake Smith 69 to 48
    Brayden Liebrock 239 to 77
    Tyler Owens Unranked to 62

Texas Rankings
    10) DeMarvin Leal
    11) Theo Wease
    18) Marcel Brooks
    21) Trejan Bridges
    22) Kenyon Green
    30) Erick Young (got the last 5*)
    32) Garrett Wilson
    33) Jordan Whittington
    53) Marcus Banks
    54) Lewis Cine
    62) Tyler Owens
    84) Brian Williams
    88) Dylan Wright
    97) Tyler Johnson

Out of State
    12) Bru McCoy
    48) Jake Smith
    77) Brayden Liebrock

2019 Rivals100 Prospect Ranking

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Wiltfong on Shepherd --

"I’m getting strong (aggy) vibes regarding four-star offensive tackle Javonne Shepherd who took his official visit to College Station over the weekend. The Houston (Texas) North Forest blue-chipper has been a verbal to Texas dating back to July. Sources around the Aggies program have felt good about (aggy)’s position with Shepherd and that grew over the weekend. One source is more worried about upcoming visits to Alabama and Georgia than the Longhorns....."

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  25. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

What did aggie get from above off the top of your head ?

26. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

If there are 47 players better than Jake Smith, I sure would like to see them. Jake can have a "Rondale Moore" instant impact for us.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I actually would be shocked if he picked aggsy, he is going to see Bama and Georgia, and lastly Texas. I'm thinking by the time he chooses he will have forgotten what the aggsy were offering. This isn't to say he will pick Texas, but I just don't think he will pick aggsy.

If he ends up flipping, I won't lose sleep, he has been the definition of flacky this whole cycle. Guys like that generally don't pan out, and if he doesn't it will be because he wasn't mentally and emotionally prepared for life after high school.

Still I hope to keep him, guys with his attributes and skill set don't grow on trees, he is the perfect left tackle prospect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I dont think many Texas fans will lose sleep. Maybe 5 or 10 years ago, the reaction would have been palpable. But not anymore. Our fan base is much more chill about recruiting than it used to be. We chill.

IMO, if he does flip to an SEC, what will suffer will be the reputation of his trainer, the Footwork King. No matter the reality, the implication will be that he was for sale. If he is smart, he will keep JS steered in the right direction. We will see.

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

They got 3 five-stars
    Leal, Green, Young

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I thought he or JWhitt might get a 5th star