2019 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Jun 8, 2017.

1. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  2. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Several transfers higher than 3. Some are even rated higher now than their high school rating.
    I think this will continue to change, and more time will be spent evaluating these players as this becomes a second recruiting season.

3. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

One thing about evaluating transfers and grad transfers, it is easier to judge the level of competition they are playing against. With high schoolers it is a crap shoot. We see these Hudl videos and who knows the talent level of the opposition? Perhaps our staff has a way to judge. I'm sure the staff uses much more than highlight videos too though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Pre-visit quote from Big Willie per TFB --

”If it has that at home feeling, I feel like I would definitely commit. I feel like nothing is set in stone there at the tackle spot. I know they have their right tackle but their left tackle left. I think there is an opportunity there for me to win a spot.”

• Like Like x 6
  5. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Can't recruit enough linemen for either side of the ball.

I especially like linemen that played defense or another sport. Good footwork is so underrated but makes the difference in having a Connor Williams and a Tristan Nickelson.

Keep the competition and depth high in the trenches

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is TFB with more info on Willie Tyler --

Tyler has an interesting story. He was a defensive lineman in high school who came out in the 2017 class. He went off to play defensive line at Garden City Community College in Kansas. But after growing two inches right out of high school, he was flipped to offensive line.

Tyler decided, immediately, to leave Garden City and didn’t play football that first fall. In the spring he went to Iowa Western where he not only came to terms with playing offensive line but decided it was time to really take his God given abilities seriously.

“My mentality changed. In high school I didn’t really take things as seriously as I should have. But I started listening to the people back home telling me about all the gifts and ability I had.”

This led Tyler to buckle down in school. On a normal two year track to graduate from Iowa Western he would be a December 2019 graduate. He made his mind, however, that he would finish earlier.

”I wanted to finish really fast. So, I stacked classes and set it up where I can finish in three semesters instead of four”.

This is, perhaps, the biggest reason Tyler has gone under the radar. It seems schools are only now beginning to find out that the 6’7 330 lb left tackle is going to be available to enroll somewhere this summer.
    ”Jake Langi started talking me on twitter. He liked my film and he said he was going to talk to the staff about me. The thing is, he thought because I was a December grad that I was about to graduate right then. Then when he realized I was supposed to graduate next December he said we need to slow things down”.

But then, when it became clear that Tyler would be able to graduate in May, Texas’ offensive line coach, Herb Hand started communicating with Tyler.

Tyler says coach Hand came out to see Tyler this past January.

Open Post | Weekend, February 15th - 17th - The Football Brainiacs - UT Edition

• Like Like x 2
  7. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Sounds like Willie is thourouly(?) interested. He's a big man but can he move well. What type of temperament does he have? Is he projected to be successful?

8. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

I think we are getting to the point on the offensive line that we no longer just need bodies. If Hand wants to offer, then he sees something he likes and I would think at that point Hand is projecting him to be successful in the program.

9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I thought we were concentrating on big, unathletic stiffs who project to be complete failures. When did we change our approach?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

It’s the new alignment initiative

• Like Like x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We are trying trying to add WR Finnegan Corwin of Dallas Highland Park as a preferred walk-on for the 2019 class.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

IT is suggesting he might be a back-up plan if none of the grad transfers work out

13. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Mr. Negative again

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Sangre Naranjada

Dude...
    You asked if "he is projected to be successful", to which I sarcastically replied we always go for guys who are projected to be failures.

What the hell do you think? Do you seriously think we'd go after somebody who does not "project to be successful"? C'mon man, use your head before you post.

15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Perhaps he was being sarcastic on top of your sarcasm. Hard to tell, you know.

16. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

If you read my post again, maybe, you'll understand that I was trying to get the "buzz" about him, you know "what are people saying about him". Perhaps I could have asked a better way but I was in a hurry. Sheez. But that's alright. Of course it's a given that we offer recruits who we think will help the program. After having read many of your posts, ok some of which are funny, i have an understanding of the way you think. I hope that rays of sonshine pour into your life.

17. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Hand has not offered yet and Bucky made a comment on the radio yesterday that there was evaluation still needed. I'm guessing his size and juco stats got our attention, but I don't think we've determined yet if he will project to improve or not.

18. Sangre Naranjada

Fair enough. The way you chose to phrase that struck a nerve with me. Peace.

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Pic of JS from the weekend
    Can tell he has been working on the body

[​IMG]

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Willie Tyler left town without an offer, per OB :idk:

"I would definitely jump at it immediately," Tyler said. "I feel like no weight room program can compete with theirs. It would be great players all around me, so I would obviously get better whether I redshirt or come in and play. I just feel like that the O-line chemistry, it’s not like that at every school. Some schools have groups, at Texas there’s a bond, there's no separation at all between the players."

Still possible since these guys are on different time frames from high schoolers. Let's see what Braun decides

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  21. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Yep, makes sense. Sounds like coming into the situation that the kid thought it was wrapped up, but per what I heard on local radio we weren't sure and needed more evaluation. Guess Hand isn't sold on the guy and I like the fact that we aren't taking people just because they are huge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Usually it seems that O-lineman are pretty intelligent, academic wise. If he is in junior college instead of a four year school, could there be a concern about what he has between his ears?

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

At least we keeping mama happy

(for some reason, twitter thinks the pic of Willie's mom is too sensitive for many of you youngsters -- luckily I am here for you).
    I admit I like this kid just based on his combination of size & mobility, his honesty, his effective communication skills and his unashamed love of his mother. But maybe Herb Hand knows more than I do?

• Like Like x 2
  24. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

The good news appears to be that the o-line has stabilized to the point that just needing bodies is now a forgotten memory.

• Like Like x 7
  25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I've seen more 'sensitive' and censor-worthy images watching G rated movies with my youngest child. Who knows, you know how many women can get with pictures. Maybe the mom thought the photo was unflattering and requested it not be posted...? :idk: Looks ok to me. The young man loves his mama. That's a wonderful thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

He's a specimen alright. I guess his royal highness the Footwork King has been working him into shape. Those extra long arms are sure good to have for pass blocking.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I have no clue why that was considered sensitive. Its his mom!
    Twitter management often seems off the rails

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I was thinking the same thing. Love him or hate him but FWK seems to be pretty damn good at his job. Can't argue with the results he is getting out of his guys.

Something else I wish to point out, and that is that we have been giving Shepherd a hard time because of his recruiting game, but he has worked his *** off to look like this and that tells me he has dedication and is willing to do what it takes to be great.

There are 4 pillars needed to be great, ability, dedication, intelligence, and wisdom.

Shepherd has the ability, we all have known that. I think he has shown great dedication in how he has re sculpted his body.

Only time will tell if he has the intelligence to handle learning the position and keeping up with his school work as well as the wisdom in knowing how to keep out of trouble.

This isn't just Shepherd, it goes for all our recruits, but this kid could be really special if he can get the mental part down.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

For some reason, I like this guy. But I guess since he is a 1y player at a smaller school, he has to be looked at compared to the 1 and 0 year OTs we already have, instead of being compared to the GTs or other more experienced JUCOs. He does seem like a bit of a project who would not see the field until year 2 or 3. But still ..... he even trademarked his name

• Like Like x 3
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts