2019 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

and smells of rich mahogany!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Looking quite cocky and relaxed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Orange man good

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Parker Braun is a text book run blocker, hopefully we can teach him how to pass block with the same nastiness.

• Like Like x 2
  8. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Love it

• Like Like x 1
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I think we're gathering together the raw material, that under Hand's coaching, will live up to UT's proud OL legacy. Everybody knows us as DBU, but at one time we were also OLU. It's been a while since we've had a dominant line that could bulldoze the opposition and give a QB all day to throw, but that's a place we have been before--a number of times. Below are just a handful of UT's OL superstars over the years (not meant to be a comprehensive list of our great OL--there are many others). We're on the right path back, I'd say.

[​IMG]Sizemore (UT 2 time All-American. NFL pro-bowler with the Eagles. Was the perfect guy for those Texadelphia Philly cheesesteaks advertisements)
    [​IMG] Baab (Reputed to be something of an 'odd bird' off the field. Total BAMF on the field. Cleveland Brown.)
    [​IMG] Tausch (Another UT great, and Minnesota Viking).
    [​IMG]Dawson (Another All-American at UT. 10 year NFL career).
    [​IMG] Chilton (All American at UT. NFL player. However, Tony Casillas is not on his Christmas card list).
    [​IMG] Scott (Long and relatively lean, quick, great technique).
    [​IMG] Blalock (IMHO the best 'OL athlete'--size, quickness, strength, footwork, etc.--the total package--we've ever seen).
    [​IMG] Brockermeyer (Stud OL. Hopefully a family legacy forthcoming...)
    [​IMG] Davis (Almost unnatural for a man that big to be able to move as well as he did).
    [​IMG] Neil (Prototype smallish/quick OL. Best of the Denver Broncos great OLs.)
    [​IMG] Williams (The "other" Mike Williams. All-star OL).
    [​IMG] Hills (Former TE who grew into the OT position; yet another All-American).

If fact, I think every single Longhorn OL above was an All-American. We were indeed OLU.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I have one small issue with your list. And I concede up front people might take issue with this. But ..... I have never been able to shake the memory of Tony Casillas destroying Chilton in 1984 when we were #1 going in (this was the tie game, in the rain, which I personally witnessed). In those days, there were no "hybrid players" or substitutions. That meant OLs pretty much went against the same DL every single offensive snap for the entire game. And Casillas ate his lunch for what seemed like every single play. This one (goofball) player blew up our entire game plan. Freddy took a lot of heat for that tie (Jeff Ward kick after an overruled ou pick and the end of the game).

We went on to fall completely apart at the end of that season, ending in the humiliating loss the Hayden Fry and Chuck Long in the Freedom Bowl

13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Sorry Joe, but I'm going to be one of those who "takes issue" with your reply about Chilton. Chilton was first team All-American, first team all-SWC, was drafted and stuck in the NFL. Despite an off game against Casillas (another All-American), I'd say he's well deserving.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, Casillas wasn't chopped liver.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Mike Ruether, Adam Schrieber, & Brian Millard (the best non starter in the OL ever)

Alan Williams in 77 was pretty damn good (or at least a good friend)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

What a strange game. Very wet slippery field. RBs could hardly make their cuts. We snapped the ball out of the endzone for a safety, then OU did the same thing... Nelson was pretty good. Refs gave us a gift on the non-interception call in the end zone on the last drive. Vintage Field Goal Freddie Akers at the end.

Video below. Clearly from an Oklahoma source. First 9 or so minutes is pre-game OU crap, skip ahead to about 9:20. 39:03 shows the level of rain that day--fans getting a soaking.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I woke up that morning, looked out the hotel window and saw gray with rain all over the window. I called Al Lubetkin at his home in Houston. He called the manager of the North Park Oshman's, who met me at the mall before it was opened and gave me two rainsuits. I had a raincover for my hat.

I didn't want to leave my car out in that storm so we took a cab to Fair Park. Seats were in the upper deck as always. We stayed dry except for my hands and boots.

After the game there were no cabs, and we were stuck on Parry Ave with a bunch of mad, drunk Okies (think 2005 Columbus). There was one decent Okie in the crowd. I told him if he could control them, I'd get us out of there. He agreed. I walked over to an empty DART bus waiting in line, and told the driver that I was hi-jacking his bus with or without him, but with would be much more profitable for him. I stepped off the bus and yelled "Okie, now". About 50-60 people from Oklahoma piled on, and I told him to take the two of us to The Fairmont, the rest he was taking to the downtown Holiday Inn. I then informed the Okies that this man was risking his career and could be fired, so make the trip worth his effort. I collected a bunch of money from the wet drunks, who were happy to be out of the rain. Never saw the driver again, but over the years had a couple of Okies walk up and say "you're the bus guy".

As a sidebar, we hosted Arkansas the next week. When I arrived to my seats, my Nikon binoculars looked like a scene from "Up Periscope" - they were half full of water.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
  18. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Bobby Wuensch (sp?)

• Like Like x 1
  19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bill Wyman

Jim Achilles

20. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Didn't Tommy Nobis play center back in the two way days?

21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Guard

• Like Like x 1
  22. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Sabre, you need to write a memoir. Your stories are very good. And you have a knack for the telling.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

You are much too kind. I have been blessed with a great life, which includes having met and known some great people from Don Robey and Mack Hanna to Albert Brumley to Bob Bucklin and James H Duke, Jr to Coach Royal, Barry, and many in between.

Am I happy with me? Hardly, but every problem I have in my life I can point the finger at the person responsible - just find me a mirror.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 8
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The only thing good about that game was I was sitting just under the edge of the upper deck. So stayed mostly dry. (I also have a long story about an angry gf who refused to speak to me the entire game too, for another day)

The going-for-the-tie-thing was a very big deal in 1984 and the stink of it stuck to Akers for a long time.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I knew that would get a few vintage fans. No worries mates.
    But it's the truth. I bet Chilton still has nightmares of Casillas kicking sand in his face to this day. And you absolutely could not run Fred's offense* with the opponent's NT living in your backfield every play.

*I am feeling charitable this morning

26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Now if only Field Goal Freddy had followed his usual instincts and gone for a field goal on 4th and goal from the 1 yard line when the Sooners made their goal line stand... Different outcome.

Hate to armchair QB it around 35 years later, but that was some poorly executed goal line offense + Fred calling a sweep on 4th down on that sloshy field?--the RBs couldn't get their footing or make cuts that day... An offensive mastermind he was not.

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He knew he couldnt go up the middle

• Winner Winner x 1
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Also official now

• Like Like x 1
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Something from Inside Texas on Braun, who weighed in at 6'3,292. There has been some chatter about how he might consider taking a RS and moving to center (to show the NFL). His dad is a coach too --

"... While he'd (Parker's dad) love for Parker to shirt (and agreed on how), he's not holding his breath. In fact (after watching his share of film on our Oline) he expects Parker to start and not shirt simply because "you play your best five - always". When you're an HC making $5M you don't want to risk not bringing your A game, roster-wise included. Yancy was indeed the man. Herman, staff evidenced total alignment throughout the weekend in ways other schools haven't/don't"

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Track season for WR Kennedy Lewis
    He ran a 10.89 100 and a 22.61 200, both good for 1st place

• Like Like x 1