2019 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Final 4 for Carter (no Oregon)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is part of Jeff Howe's take on the decade+ old OT issue at Texas, that I was addressing above. I forgot about Webb

".... It's getting harder and harder to find high school tackles who are athletic enough to handle speed athletes on the edge, physical enough to consistently take care of business in the run (good luck finding elite-level tackles who are comfortable in a three-point stance) and have the mindset to work to get better now that the competition is unlike any they’ve seen before from a size and talent standpoint. That’s why when a prospect like Walker Little, the 2017 five-star offensive tackle from Houston Bellaire Episcopal who’s now at Stanford, comes along, losing him is a blow because any backup option will likely need a year or two in a player development program to figure out what’s there with the crop of top-flight tackles having been picked over by that point.

Texas has had a problem recruiting offensive tackles for the last decade because the Longhorns have failed more often than not to go one of the two ways a program has to in order to solidify the tackle positions. That’s to either land top-tier prospects like and give them the tools they need to hit their ceiling or look for guys like Connor Williams who have the raw tools and project to be possibly elite players down the road. Aside from Williams, who was clearly a good take and panned out on his way to becoming an NFL draft pick, Texas’ tackle takes over the last decade have either not panned out because of injuries (Paden Kelley, Josh Cochran) or discipline-related issues (Kennedy Estelle), they kicked inside (Kent Perkins, Mason Walters) or they just couldn’t cut the mustard.

That’s changing under Herman with the Longhorns showing the ability and willingness to travel both roads in search of tackles. Texas snagged a pair of intriguing tackle options for down the road in Reese Moore and Christian Jones in 2018. They’re on campus right now and will be joined at this time next year by 2019 five-star prospect Tyler Johnson on Conroe Oak Ridge, who for my money is the best pure tackle prospect Texas has landed since J'Marcus Webb in 2006 (Webb played one season at Texas, transferred to West Texas A&M, was a seventh-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft and played in 71 games over seven seasons in the NFL).

I wrote recently how the staff can start turning the page along the offensive line now that Williams has broken the unsavory 10-year streak of not having had a lineman drafted at a time when Herb Hand has come along to hopefully be the teacher and developer of talent the Longhorns need to get things in order. Getting a commitment from Johnson is a big part of that process, so too is the Longhorns closing on Houston North Forest four-star tackle Javonne Shepherd, a recruitment where Texas appears to have the edge.

One or two tackles isn’t good enough when you’re talking about fixing a gap in the talent pipeline that’s gone unresolved for the better part of a decade. Texas can’t get in a bind like the offense was last season when Williams went down and there was nothing in the ballpark of a reliable option to step in for him. When Texas, as a program, gets to the point where the loss of one player doesn’t cripple an entire side of the ball, it will be a sign that the Longhorns have arrived at a point being able to tout talented depth up and down the roster. That hasn’t happened in a very long time, but it’s slowly starting to take shape within a position group where the Longhorns needed it in a bad way for far too long...."
    https://247sports.com/college/texas...-I-Think-Tom-Herman-Roschon-Johnson-118829113

• Like Like x 2
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

By the way, regarding Howe's comment on Shepherd^^, Hamm issued a denial, basically saying he had already secretly committed to aggy coaches.

Also, an aggy Rivals guy says that that not only is Shepherd not going to aggy this weekend, he's actually going to be back in Austin

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

While she is totally correct on the education, the only response to that question requires only two words - DAVID SHAW!

The guy is one of the biggest jackasses not only in college football but in all sports.

6. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I love that quote. I think that fits for Texas too. I think those types are comparing Texas and Stanford schools.

7. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

8. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Yeah...you're right. I was just poking fun at Oklahoma.

9. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

The Aggie staff....especially Fisher... strike me as high pressure, insecure guys who will press guys hard...getting some, getting some they'll lose eventually, and turning some off.

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The Aggie staff perhaps, but I assure you there is nothing insecure about Darrell Dickey

11. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

It's the strong sucking force from the north that gives people in DFW the miconception that Zero-U is closer than the great 40 acres!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Maybe we should offer her too?

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

There might be issues with this player
    OTOH, it's not a great year in state for CBs
    We will see

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

CB Marques Caldwell (Alvin) visits next week
    Was an early Oregon commit

• Like Like x 2
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

S Lewis Cine OVs to PSU this weekend
    Then Texas then Michigan.
    That's also the order of his top 3

----------------
    Another safety we offered is 4-star Bryson Washington from Mater Dei in Calif
    He is supposed to UOV to Austin by the end of the month.
    He is from the Houston-area originally and likes UT

• Like Like x 2
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is what Holland says
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  19. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Errbody?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Holland has suggested Walker Little & family played a role in selling Bragg on the tree. I guess the Littles were not done with us.
    Warehime holla.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Another offer out to another California 4-star

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  22. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Of course he did, I wouldn't expect anything less, we have California guys that help recruit California recruits, and Polynesian guys that help recruit Polynesians, it stands to reason.

No big deal, he is going to pick where he wants to go, we just need to move on to the next guy.

If you want to stop this, then win, winning fixes everything.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I admit I tend to overfocus on the OL, but I say losing Bragg to the people of the tree is a big deal

• Like Like x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This one did not age so well

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Elite RB Trey Sanders is currently on a UOV in Austin

• Like Like x 3
  27. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Social Media. Blessing or curse? Why would any fan from any school bash a recruit. smh

• Like Like x 1
  28. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

He and Noah Cain are from same school and have talked about playing together ...

• Like Like x 1
  29. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Trey Sanders and Noah Cain in the same class, is my super soaker of wet dreams.

Offensive linemen are generally late bloomers, there are those really special guys that are just massive bad asses but for the most part they are guys like Connor Williams who develop late and turn themselves into great players. If we wait til late and pursue the late bloomers I'm just as happy.

To me the most important part is the attitude they have. Give me a guy with heart over a guy with all the measurables. We have had so many guys with the great measurables that have no idea how to block.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

aggy nonplussed about the greatest recruiter in the known world losing Banks to LSU

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]