2019 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Texas WR commit De'Mariyon Houston

"I fell in love with the University of Texas. I feel like they really care about my schooling and life after football and that's really what was the most important for me."

• Like Like x 1
  2. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Historically, it is not realistic that we consistently take the kind of class out of Texas that we took last year. No matter who we hire, OU being able to recruit in Texas, and A&M, too, is not going to just go away. Toyota can't just make Honda and Nissan go away.

Also, you knowledgeable people on here were saying last year that this exact thing was going to happen when the strong Dallas class came out this year, which wasn't going to be our class.

To establish a longer-term permanence up at the top, it seems like the next ingredient will be winning records, big game wins, fascinating star players, etc. For the most part, I think we have enough talent to start that process, and as much as you could reasonably expect to be here given that we haven't had any of that for 8 years. (I, personally, found D'Onte Foreman fascinating, but somehow the nation missed that.)

• Like Like x 2
  3. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I don't think Herman is ceding any part of Texas. Why would he cede an area where close to 10million people live, and some of the best HS football in the world is played? He would be a fool to cede this area. I don't think he is a fool

I did not know he was "pissing off Texas HS coaches." What is he doing that makes you say that? If he is pissing off the HS coaches, then he needs to stop that. Recruiting is the life blood of great programs, and being on good terms, at least decent terms, with HS coaches in Texas is mandatory to succeed at a high level in Texas.
    So with the early signing period marching quickly toward us, we won't have long to see how this plays out. I will wait until the evidence is in to criticize Herman. Mack used to out recruit Stoops regularly, but Stoops seemed to do as well or better than Mack on the field.

I say go Tom go. Hook em.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Texas doesn't appear near the top of most of the recruits lists in North Texas recruiting lists. Strong pissed the Texas HS coaches off by all of the Florida recruiting, and for some reason the North Texas coaches have taken it personally. Consistant beating ou might change this, but until Herman produces he isn't going to gain anything against ou up here. aggy has always been an issue in the eastern part.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

This is a reason that Jerry & the Hogs wanted A&M at Jerry World every year. Go back and look at Coach Broyles great teams and how many kids on that roster were from Gregg, Smith, and Anderson Counties, as well as north Dallas. There was a big fear that Bill Bradley would go to Fayetteville because of the number of Palestine players on that 64 Arkansas team?

The Hogs lost their recruiting stronghold in northeast Texas when they jumped to the SEC. Dominating A&M annually at JerryWorld was supposed to fix that, but bad coaching failed them on the recruiting trail.

6. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

A several years ago, I don't remember exactly what year it was, I'm guessing it was 2002. Mack absolutely dominated recruiting in Texas, shut out both Oklahoma and A$M. The strategy stoops used was to go elsewhere and get kids he needed and concentrate on the junior class. I think that is what Oklahoma and A&M did last year. Go elsewhere to get the guys they need and concentrate on the juniors and it has paid off this cycle where it looks like Herman is a step behind those two schools.

It isn't going to always be that way, If Herman concentrates on the Dallas juniors we will be in great shape next year.

The Texas high school coaches are full of a lot of hot air, they aren't going to cut off the University of Texas anymore than they will cut off any other major school. They can ***** and moan and complain but it's just a bunch of hot air.

BTW, not of this means a hill of beans if Texas doesn't start winning big, no one is going to want to be a part of this class without seeing major improvement.

• Like Like x 2
  7. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Joe...
    Do you have any info on whether or not Javonne made it to campus again?
    If not...any word on if it's significant or not?

8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

History disagrees, and I have personally witnessed it face to face. Piss them off, and you are not allowed on campus much less welcome.

• Like Like x 2
  9. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

OK, but what, if anything, has Herman done to piss off HS coaches in DFW metro area?

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I have no idea and haven't stated he did. I was responding to Bill's comment that HS coaches wouldn't lock out or cutoff college coaches. That said, there does seem to be a lack of Metroplex recruits since Herman arrived.

11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Reread my post. Strong pissed off all Texas HS coaches by all of his heavy recruiting in Flordia. Herman has eased some of the concern by refocusing in Central and Southeast Texas, but his penchant for going after big name out of state kids somehow has not sat well with the North Texas coaches. Whether Herman thinks the North Texas kids are not as good as out of state guys or has given up banging heads with ou and aggy, or the North Texas coaches do not care for the Texas coaches assigned to recruiting in North Texas, the results are the same- lack of North Texas recruiting results.

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Free Shoe U rated above aggy hmmmmm....

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Its next weekend, and the latest is that he wont

Speaking of this weekend, it sounds like LB R-Davis will join LB D-Floyd in Austin. Davis is in Houston (I think) visiting family. Floyd is working on him pretty hard.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It sounds like 5-star RB John Emery will end up at LSU (his gf is supposed to be enrolling there). If so then they would have two 5-star RB commits. This situation might help us with RB Noah Cain since not long ago there was chatter that Emery would be going to Miss St.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  16. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Well, those coaches must be really sensitive if Herman is being singled out for going for top talent in other states. Sounds like Herman is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. If he weren't going after top out of state talent he would be criticized; as many coaches here have for focusing on in state kids.

All this will fade if he is successful on the field.

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  18. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

You know, Mack Brown talked all that nonsense about Texas High School Football Coaches, how important they are, blah, blah, blah.....Has it ever stopped the best DE/LB/CB, etc in the state from going to Florida State, or Ohio State, or Alabama, or USC or OU et al? Everyone says on the boards that you only get 25 signees (more or less) each year. It's not Darrell Royal times with unlimited scholarships. Texas is a huge state, and no coach is going to get all of them. You can "piss off" the entire state, but if a kid wants to come to Texas or leave the state, it doesn't matter what his coach or the coaches in his district think, that kid's going to go to that university. It boggles my mind the weight people put into the coaches' influence in Texas or anywhere else. Mack Brown got Chris Simms because the mom liked Mack (not Phil), but it sure wasn't because New Jersey High School football coaches really liked Mack. It's political bs, imo…..

• Like Like x 1
  19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

How many HS coaches do you know personally or well enough to get them to open up with you ratheinkr than getting coach speak?

I guess you don't think HS coaches will discriminate against schools taking IMG kids either.

20. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

i'd like to know exactly what these hs coaches will actually do to inhibit recruiting of a player...."don't listen to this major university that wants you to come play here in Texas....go to Ohio State....." like that hs coach is going to be a dream-killer for the kid.... "Wait, don't go to Ohio State, go to Texas"..... does that work, too?

21. RainH2burntO

I know it's true, but I still don't get it. Hey, I've got an idea...
    What do you say you high school coaches open the doors wide and welcome all top schools/programs who represent good options academically and athletically for your young people and you college coaches go after the best players (wherever they may reside) that you think you can recruit to school. Doesn't sound profound enough?? It's not...pretty simple.
    Geesh...I say again...What are we...mice!?
    The levels of immaturity and hypersensitivity in our land. Like a bunch of little girls...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  22. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I don't like our kids leaving the state of Texas to go play at schools like IMG. They are sold on the idea that they will get better training but most of all more attention. So they made a business decision to go somewhere else where there is better recognition. Least That's what they believe. So if that's where they went then that's where you have to get them, every university does. It's not UT's fault recruits went there. Do HS coaches sit around and brood over the idea that UT will pluck a few OOS kids? I hope they are more interested in building the character of the kids that play for them.

23. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

As a parent of a kid who wants to play college athletics, I dont understand the perspective of pissing off high school coaches by recruiting elsewhere. If colleges are going out of state to pluck talent I would think the coaches would want to work harder to get their kids noticed not be an entitled crybaby. Its not about the coaches, its about the kids. Something is wrong here.

• Like Like x 2
  24. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

1) Ego - if you want my kids, you show me respect.
    2) Out of state recruiting - Of course you recruit in state. It's easier and cheaper. But you want the best because a 7-4 record every year with all Texas talent isn't acceptable on this forum or at alumni fundraising dinners.
    3) If you want Texas to be more engaged with your high school athletic program, develop top tier talent. I can't stand this "Buy American-made, even when it's not better and twice the price!" BS. You want attention and respect, you be the best at what you do.
    4) Texas should spend more time in North Texas.

25. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

There was a day when 95-100% of the Texas and Aggies rosters consisted of Texas and kids, even OU 's roster was full and many of Ark. Did the talent level of Texas kids drop or did many other OOS programs start taking some of this talent to get more competitive. I believe there is an abundance of talent in Texas to be able to compete without going coast to coast with a chance to get a 4 / 5 star. They are right here!
    I do not like seeing so many Texas kids shining on OOS teams.....plenty of them have crossed the borders to help other teams win.....no allegiance! Glance at the ones at OHST, Ala, LSU, etc

26. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

This sounds like pure conjecture on your part.

• Like Like x 1
  27. RainH2burntO

Sounds like you are thinking about what I was thinking...free market capitalism.

28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

HS coaches HAVE & will continue to ban coaches from certain schools from their campus, their workouts. If 5-6 schools are actively after a kid, and one coaching staff is prevented from being on his HS campus, that is a deterrent at best.

Let me further burst the bubble you obviously live in, and clue you in that HS coaches will do the same when one of theirs is perceived to have been mistreated or screwed over by a school - most prevalent examples being Jackie & Sumlin lying to kids.

We suffered some of that as a result of some of David's coaching staff - NOT DAVID.

I shall quote from a coach in the northern part of the Houston SMSA, "Had one of your coaches in yesterday. First Texas coach we've let through the door in 10-12 years."

Your examples are absurd because the HS coaches aren't that blatant, but they will sure as hell make it difficult for you to recruit a kid - not letting you on campus, telling your competitors when you are going to the kid's house, what you're telling the kid; and yes, they will say things like "You remember what happened to Bill when he went to school there - Hype$man hopeful to Hardin Simmons".

So believe what you want in your ivory tower, but it happens, it has happened for decades, and it ain't going to stop in this half of The Christian Era.

• Like Like x 1
  29. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

thoughts from a person "Not in the know," & obviously naïve, but sadly, not in an ivory tower:

1. if Tom Herman, or Jimbo Fisher, or Gary Patterson, or Urban Meyer, or Nick Saben or Lincoln Riley etc. are Banned from admittance to a high school during the recruiting season then I am wondering how the coach keeps parents and kids from rebelling against him and how the HS administration would handle complaints from parents, coaches, kids and alum from the schools whose coach is not allowed?

2. After all, the kids being looked at by top schools are the studs of the team, the ones who will win the district, regional and state titles for the coaches. And some of those kids are recruited to the top high schools by job offers to their parents. So wouldn't those parents be pissed off when/if top coaches are disallowed the opportunity to see and talk to them?

I know people (coaches and everybody else) can be passive aggressive, sabotage recruiting efforts, talk smack about your enemies, etc. but eventually wouldn't that come back to bite them?

Not saying it hasn't happened, doesn't happen, etc. Just saying that I have trouble believing this is the primary reason Herman isn't getting his share kids out of the giant sea of kids in North Texas. Maybe he needs to work harder in this area, or work smarter. Or maybe its just a temporary lull, which will self correct over time.

• Like Like x 1
  30. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

The football coaches at my high school (Class of '76! Dazed and Confused) were king of the hill. We were a 2A school and they roamed the halls acting bigger than life. I ran into them years later at a class reunion and they were acting the same. Cock-sure of themselves as if they were still in charge. I remember they were gathering for a group picture with one of the coaches and a friend of mine said, "I'm not taking a picture with that son of a *****." I thought, "Yep, that's what I think," so we went to the cash bar instead. I could definitely see them being the type who would demand being catered to... no doubt.

• Like Like x 1