2019 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Jun 8, 2017.

1. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

As far as I know, no recruit can sign anything yet.
    If Herman reels off 8 to 10 wins then minds can change in a hurry.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Agree, but it goes the other way also. 5-7/6-6 (or worse) totally inept offense and DC moving on would spell trouble that Herman probably could not survive.

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I submit to you (for the umpteenth time) that it is not Fisher, but rather Darrell Dickey & Brad Peveto, both coming from Texas HS coaching royalty, and Elko coming from ND.

If your kid was playing offense, wouldn't you want him to play for Darrell Dickey regardless of location?

As for OU, the history of the program sells itself. Their big issue (as with the entire Big XII) is Dr Boren retiring. Of course, WE wouldn't be familiar with a president who wasn't a narcissist or gave a **** about football.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

While it's true we have had some notable misses, we still have a good class. If you go by avg player rating instead of the total commits, we are 5th in the 247 rankings.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  6. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Aggy will win 4 games and we go 10.

We'll be alright after aggy decommit season.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

aggy will be 2-2 after 4 games. Their remaining schedule are the dregs of the $EC, and their usual weak OOC games. They will only lose one more (LSU) before their bowl.

8. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Auburn is not one of the dregs of the SEC. MSU and South Carolina are stronger than usual this year and even Kentucky is solid.

9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If a team is worse than aggy I classify them as dregs (sort of like the Mendoza Line). Auburn has a shot of beating aggy at home, but Jimbo has to win this one and will. The other three are dregs by my standard. aggy will win at least 3 of those games and probably all 4. With a 9-3 record under their belt, aggy will not lose any commitments and will probably gain some at Texas' expense unless Herman can somehow beat SC and lose only one Big XII game (not ou).

Strong's poor relationship with the Texas HS coaches is going to hurt Texas for a long time. The only positive is aggy will continue to be 3rd best in the $EC West which eventually will slow their recruiting down if Texas can stay in the 10+ wins a season mode for several years.

10. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Jimbo was a .500 coach in the ACC over the last two years. I don't see him being a huge improvement over Sumlin seeing how he is coming into the season with a worse team.

11. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

If Jimbo keeps recruiting like this he'll Bobby Bowden Aggie-land and not really have to coach much, just turn 'em loose....not a wish, just a horrible thought....

12. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Jimbo doesn't have time to be Bobby Bowden, Bobby never won anything until the late 80's early 90's, he arrived at FSU in 1976.

Now Jimbo doesn't have to build a program from scratch like Bobby did, but he also isn't getting FSU's built in winning tradition and talent level. He is going to the SEC with lower mid-tier talent. He is going to need minimum 4 years of recruiting at this level to even come close to challenging Bama and Georgia, even then how long before LSU gets a competent coach.

I just don't see aggy winning anything even resembling a championship, unless they get a transcendent player like a Vince or Manziel again. The only reason Jimbo won one in the first place was because he had Winston.

Truth is, the Ags will turn on him long before he wins anything. If Texas just plays up to it's talent, it will be on the level of Oklahoma and maybe higher, which should put them in the playoff, or at least playoff talk. That will make Texas a more viable option than the Ags.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

People need t take a closer look at the Aggy class, and you will see the problem.

Their 25 man class is very heavy with DBs and WRs, something that Texas is very heavy with this cycle, I posted earlier that 20 of the top 40 Texas players were WR and DBs. They have 5 guys committed that are ranked 4'star or higher that are not DBs or WRs. The rest of their 4'star players are all DBs and WRs.

They made fun of the Texas class being a 7 on 7 class, they got the same thing. probably worse than the 2018 Texas class.

Last year's Texas class ended up with 10 guys ranked 4'star that didn't play DB or WR, 11 if Overshown spins down to LB as many alluded to.

For all the fluff around their program, to me it's much more smoke and mirrors. Out of all their commitments, the only two guys I really feel like we missed on were Green and Leal. Outside of those two, I'm not that worried about.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I've said this time and time again...what I see brewing is a character and culture issue at a&m. Occasionally in the world of sports a program like that will experience success, but it usually blows up in your face. I think this is the real developing story line between Texas and aggy. I think there is opposing cultures taking root in the two programs, and one will prove to be of a superior foundation.

15. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

See Jackie Sherrill.

it's going to be an interesting development to see if they get caught like Jackie did.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RainH2burntO

I hope Carrington's "shhhh" the other day wasn't suppose to be Dylan Wright

17. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I'm thinking it was a Polynesian, it coincided with a comment by Langi along the lines of help is coming.

18. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

And they dont play in a pass happy league. What will happen when teams try to grind it out on the ground? Yeah, their defense will be shredded for 250-300 yds on the ground week in and week out. It might be fun watching teams gash them for 30 and 40 yard runs routinely.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Jackie didn't get "caught", but rather was turned in by the same people that brought him there because he was out of control. Give him credit, he organized the players and installed a "union pay scale"

• Like Like x 1
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

21. RainH2burntO

This may be in reference to the latest breaking news...can't believe it's not on here yet? I'm posting a thread now..

22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Maybe he is just sick. Stomach bug going around.

23. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

What was this tweet that is no longer out there?

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It was Wilson

Im sick....
    — Garrett Wilson (@GarrettWilson_V) August 11, 2018

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  27. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Not sure I understand the concept of silent commit, but looks like we have another

• Like Like x 1
  28. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Just going to comment that I am absolutely befuddled by the ths coaches thing.....BUT it Sabre knows then I'll just acquiesce and say that it's a thing.....it's just hard for me to wrap my mind around a high school kid going to A&M because one of the assistants coached high school in Texas (or recommended him to A&M, etc)….

29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

It is more than a recommendation. It is a subtle aggy is great, and you do not want to get caught up in the sewer known as Austin.

30. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

If we win 10, I would fee pretty good about flipping Leal.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018