2019 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

They are mentioning Caleb Johnson in the same breath as Gary Johnson, speedwise

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  3. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I think Gbenda is the silent we have been hearing about. I just heard on another site he is making a commitment video. He was considering Texas and aggy and now they have 25 commitments I think it's pretty much us now.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

5. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Sad to see them go but good luck to them.

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Chris Adimora

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is TFB on where we are with OL recruiting
    My sense on what they write here is that Coker is a take. While we definitely need a center, I think Hand likes to overtake OTs, figure out who can play outside, spin the rest in. As always, we will see.

OFFENSIVE TACKLE (2 maybe 3):
    Oak Ridge (TX) Tyler Johnson (Committed to Texas)
    North Forest (TX) Javonne Shepherd (Committed to Texas)
    Fairview (AR) Stacey Wilkins (Committed to ou)
    Atascosita (TX) Kenyon Green (Committed to aggy)
    Taylor (TX) Andrew Coker (Committed to TCU)

Texas OL coach Herb Hand has hit a home run in terms of offensive tackle recruiting in 2019. Texas has secured commitments from Tyler Johnson and Javonne Shepherd. Texas is likely done at offensive tackle in this class. They could take another tackle later in the cycle, but it would likely be a guy that could slide down to guard as well as play some tackle.

OFFENSIVE GUARD/CENTER (2):
    University Lab (LA) Kardell Thomas (Committed to LSU)
    Crandall (TX) Branson Bragg (Committed to Stanford)
    Allen (TX) EJ Ndoma-Ogar (Committed to ou)
    Whitehaven (TN) Melvin McBride
    Bishop Alemany (CA) Dohnovan West

The interior offensive line recruiting for Texas is one of the bigger mysteries in the 2019 cycle right now. Texas has only offered 5 interior offensive line recruits. Four are committed to other schools and one is from Florida and likely staying in the Sunshine State.

The three guys listed above that are committed to other schools in Thomas, Bragg, and Ndoma-Ogar are all guys that Texas is going to keep recruiting. But I don’t see much changing with them, at least as of today. The last two, in McBride and West are two potential offer out-of-state guys to keep an eye on.

I talked with McBride recently and he told me that OL coach Herb had would like a couple of interior OL in this class, and he really likes him. Arkansas and Louisville lead the way in his recruitment right now. McBride is planning to visit Texas this fall, but nothing is set up just yet. West is another guy who is being evaluated by Hand right now. He is a California guy but doesn’t have the big west coast offers from schools like USC, UCLA, Stanford, Washington, and Oregon. So Texas could move right up to the front of this recruitment if they want to.

It also wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Texas jump in the ring with some JUCO offensive lineman as we get closer to December

Open Post | Wednesday, August 15th - The Football Brainiacs - UT Edition

• Like Like x 1
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Same link as above, on WR recruiting

WIDE RECEIVER (4, maybe 5)
    Cuero (TX) Jordan Whittington (Committed to UT)
    Notre Dame Prep (AZ) Jake Smith (Committed to UT)
    Millwood (OK) Demariyon Houston (Committed to UT)
    Lake Travis (TX) Garrett Wilson (Committed to Ohio State)
    Bowie (TX) Elijah Higgins
    West Mesquite (TX) Dylan Wright (Committed to aggy)
    Trinity Catholic (MO) Marcus Washington
    Round Rock (TX) Jaylen Ellis (Committed to Baylor)
    Heritage (TX) Langston Anderson

Texas is off to a really solid start when it comes to 2019 WR recruiting. Locking down 5-star WR Jordan Whittington over Texas A&M and Jake Smith over USC. Yes, Texas has missed out on four elite in-state WR’s in Garrett Wilson, Theo Wease, Arjei Henderson, and most recently Dylan Wright. Wilson hurt the most, and if they had locked him up, Texas would be on it’s way to a possible historic WR haul. Though Texas has two great guys on board already in Whittington and Smith. And another one who I think is a great get out of the Sooner state in Demariyon Houston.

Of the available guys, Elijah Higgins would be the guy I’d focus on to close out the class. Higgins is an Austin guy who is close friends with Garrett Wilson (Ohio State), a huge academic guy (Stanford), and spent some time growing up in the Sunshine State (Florida). Those three schools and Texas look like the main group. This recruitment has trended for all four schools at different times. He plans to make a decision before the season, I’m not sure where he’s heading as of right now. Texas got him on campus earlier this summer but ran out of summer official visits. So if Higgins officially visits Texas, it will have to be during the season.

Marcus Washington is another guy who’s recruitment has taken some twists and turns this summer. He wanted to commit this summer, He was likely Ohio State bound, but the Zach Smith news changed things. He decided to push his commitment date back, which means Texas will get an official visit during the season. Missouri is another school that some feel are trending with Washington. Another note on Washington is that he’s HS teammates and friends with ’20 RB/WR Mookie Cooper, who is a top Texas target.

Then there is Ellis and Anderson. Both are more recent offers who really like Texas. But I’m not sure the Longhorns are pushing for them right now. But they’re guys to definitely keep an eye on moving forward.

MY TAKE: If Texas can land Higgins or Washington, they might just close up shop for their WR class. They’ll keep recruiting Wilson and Wright as they’re takes regardless. And then they’ll keep in contact with Ellis and Anderson and might start pushing for them closer to signing day if they need to.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

247 says 4-star RB Derrian Brown (Buford, GA) says again Texas is his clear leader.
    And he might announce next week

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

De’Gabriel Floyd built like a brick house

• Like Like x 2
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Final 4

• Like Like x 2
  14. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Friday night lights begin in Georgia

• Like Like x 2
  15. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Friday night lights, Arizona. My fav commit, speed!

• Like Like x 3
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

EJ Holland on Jake --

"... Smith put up more production in the first quarter than (Rondale) Moore did the entire game I attended. Smith is exactly what you want in a slot receiver — a smooth route runner, a sure handed pass catcher and an explosive playmaker. Smith also has good size and is effective as a returner on special teams. Texas ended up losing Moore to Purdue and signed Josh Moore — a player more akin to Smith. However, Smith is head and shoulders above where both Moores, who were All-Americans, were at this time last year. This kid is special.

After seeing Smith in 7v7, practice and in-game, there is no doubt in my mind that he is going to change the face of the Texas offense and be an immediate impact player. Smith is extremely versatile as he lined up in the slot, on the outside and in the backfield and was dominant at every position. Smith racked up close to 230 yards of total offense and five touchdowns in basically one half of play. Texas plans to use Smith in a very similar role, so expect him to not only be a true slot but a Swiss army knife that can change the game in various ways.

.....Right now, Smith is completely solid to the Longhorns and is not wavering. Smith flashed the Hook Em' sign throughout the night and told me he is all in on scheme fit and the future of the program....".

EJ after dark: Takeaways from watching Texas Longhorns recruiting commit Jake Smith

• Like Like x 2
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  19. Horns R Back

Horns R Back 250+ Posts

Nice run by Roschon.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Color me super excited about Jake Smith. :hookem:

• Like Like x 4
  21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Looks like a scrimmage.

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  23. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

"RJ to Smith again wide open ....and he's gone for 6!"

• Like Like x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I posted this review of Strong's big 2016 class in another thread. Dropping it in here as well

After the transfer of Curtis, the entire 2016 class of Charlie's looks a lot different now
    The class size was 28 total
    It was #7 overall per the 247 Composite (#10 per ESPN and #11 per Rivals)
    #1 in the Big 12

But many from the class, who should now be starting or close to starting, are already gone --
    Erick Fowler (high 4-star)
    Jean Delance (high 4-star)
    Jordan Elliott (high 4-star)
    Chris Daniels (4-star)
    Eric Cuffee (4-star)
    Marcel Southall (4-star)
    Reggie Hemphill-Mapps
    Davion Curtis
    Demarco Boyd
    Peyton Aucoin
    Total = 11 players

Another 6 appear buried on the depth chart, some of whom have to also be considered transfer possibilities at this point --
    Andrew Fitzgerald (4-star)
    D'Andre Christmas (4-star)
    JP Urquidez (4-star)
    Kyle Porter (4-star)
    Chris Brown
    Donovan Duvernay

Another 6 from that are at least playing but are not starting, and definitely not stars at this point --
    Patrick Hudson (high 4-star we landed only thanks to Baylor implosion)
    Jeffrey McCullough (high 4-star)
    Shane Buechele (4-star)
    Denzel Okafor (4-star)
    Gerald Wilbon
    Tope Imade

That leaves 6 players from that class of 28 total who have been starters and have sometimes played very well --
    Devin Duvernay (high 4-star we landed only thanks to Baylor implosion)
    Brandon Jones (high 4-star)
    Collin Johnson (4-star)
    Lil'Jordan Humphrey
    Malcolm Roach
    Zach Shackleford

This is a poor hit rate.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  25. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

To be fair, some of these could be attributed to a poor transition on Herman's part or just not really being burnt orange and only came because of Charlie. I doubt it, but I'm at least mentioning it.

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He's going to get a 5th star in the end

• Like Like x 3
  27. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Who is this? He’s a commit for us?

• Like Like x 1
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's class of 2018 Michael Williams, already on the roster
    He was our 3rd lowest rated recruit, excluding the kickers

• Like Like x 3
  29. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I think
    Seemed alot of them wanted to play for a black coach at a high profile school... irresistible. Thought it was a plus for us while he was here...then quickly became a minus as he faltered and subsequently was fired.
    Not knocking it (the initial desire to play for him no matter what their motivation) on the part of those youngsters...but playing ball at a high profile school, pushing yourself to be your best, and getting a free, high-level education should have been enough once Strong left....at least you'd think it should be. Where are most of them now?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is good Scipio Tex article on the growing grad transfer market

" ..... Just as Tom Herman has done the math on Western recruiting, he'll understand the opportunity presented by the swelling grad transfer talent stream. Jim Harbaugh has already been at it feverishly over at Michigan, and he also churns out transfers fleeing his program as quickly as they reel them in. In 2018, Michigan had six seniors grad transfer away. That has to be a record.

THE TARGETS
    The 2019 Horns will need some experienced bodies and potential starters on the OL and at LB. A WR and a DL might even be appreciated. Finding OL grad transfers at Texas is doable. Finding LB, WR and DL grad transfers is a challenge.

THE CHALLENGE
    Texas doesn't really finesse requirements to allow transfers the way some schools do. By contrast, apparently anyone can transfer to LSU, West Virginia, or USF with an 8th grade diploma and an orderly coloring book. It's no coincidence that our 2018 transfers were from Rice and Cal. The Horns also have some basic character requirements, so mining Boise State, BYU, Penn State and Florida State for players who had "a misunderstanding" - isn't in the cards as it is at, oh, I don't know...Baylor and Oklahoma.

That means Texas will have to look hard for our profile. Identifying talents who blossomed late at smaller schools and want a shot in the spotlight like Calvin Anderson. Finding pretty good players who got squeezed out by a more talented player at a place where they keep players on academic track. Find Texas natives yearning to return home after a sojourn in a SEC cowtown or a grim Midwestern city. The best lures are a winning program and a winnable job. Of course, if the football gods really love us, we'll see a major SEC program get heavy sanctions and no penalties for players to transfer out. You're due Auburn and Alabama.

Barking Carnival, For Texas and NCAA football news