2019 Recruiting - Softball

Discussion in 'Softball' started by Ellis21d, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Currently Texas has 4 - 2019 Commitments. 3 of which are hold overs from the Connie Clark regime.
    Alana Vawter - Staley High School, Kansas City, Mo. listed as Pitcher/Utility 6' 165
    Cait Calland - Katy HS, Katy, Texas. listed as a catcher 5'4
    Camille Corona - Dripping Springs HS. listed as 2B, 3B, UTL, INF, OF, SS. 5'4" 120

And recently added by Coach White and his staff
    Grace Greene - Birdville HS, North Richland Hills, Tx. listed as P/1B 5'4" 130

It will be interesting to see if the new staff will stay committed to Connie's recruits. I certainly would believe they would.

2. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Camille Corona committed in January 2017. She sure appears to be a little thing in the picture standing besides Connie Clark.

3. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I could not find when Cait Calland committed but I did find this tweet that showed all the players from the Katy HS softball team that did commit to play college softball. Katy HS must have a super program. Not sure who the other Texas commit is in the picture but Cait is the second from the left.

4. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I know that sophmore commits are common in softball. I just find it tenuous with a new coach coming in. Of course, since Texas has had only one head coach ever, until recently, I don't know how Mike White or the committed players will feel about going to a program where the recruiters are all gone. Yeah, obvs.

But thanks for starting this thread!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Could not find when Alana Vawter committed but lots of pictures of her on her twitter wearing Texas year!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  6. HornFinc

HornFinc 250+ Posts

I have no idea how accurate it is, but I saw on another message board that nobody from the 2019 class is "safe."

7. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Need to add a 5th commitment to the 2019 class. She is a teammate of Cait Colland at Katy HS and is the other girl I could not find information on in the tweet from Cait.
    Tori Whillock OF Katy HS
    She's throwing up the Hook'em sign in this picture.

8. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

First confirmed de-commitment for the 2019 recruiting class? Cait Calland
    Would be interesting to know what Mike White's staff told this class?

9. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

The only sad thing to say is that Connie had a very good track record for scouting catchers, so this is a bummer. I went through this young lady's twitter feeds and it's all Texas and then suddenly LSU. So, obviously the change was recent. But the new staff has the right to pick their own players since their jobs are on the line with the players they work with.

• Like Like x 1
  10. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

A tweet from Danny Davis showing Alyssa Popelka decommitting from Boston U and going to UT

Confirmed with the Westwood web site:
    Alyssa Popelka Commits to UT
    Interesting, wonder what the 2019 list looks like now?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Well our 2019 class now looks like the following. I do not find any changes from the first 3 commits who where committed to Texas by Connie Clark.
    Alana Vawter - Kansas City
    Camille Corona - Dripping Springs
    Tori Whillock - Katy
    Grace Greene - Birdville HS, North Richland Hills
    Alyssa Popelka - Westwood HS, Austin

• Like Like x 1
  12. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for pulling that list together. Looks like White's big emphasis is on hitters.

• Like Like x 1
  13. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Trying to do the math here. Google says that Division I is allowed to give 12 scholarships for softball, of course some may be partial. Counting heads, currently UT has 19 players including 6 incoming freshmen (faceless entities on the official roster). And that includes the recent disappearance of Ciera Shick from the roster. Then, according to the fine list you've pulled together.....5 are coming next year and we have 3 seniors on the roster. Let's see.....19-3+5=21. Mmmmm, may have some roster attrition. Not rooting for it, because you get to know these gals and you're pulling for them to be happy to be on the team and contribute for our watching pleasure. But...21?

• Like Like x 1
  14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Very few will be on a full ride. Soccer has the same limitation, but their roster is in the twenties also.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Looks like Camille Corona from Dripping Springs is still on go to join the Softball team next year. She posted this today with a friend.

16. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

So the next Connie Clark recruit is going elsewhere! Tori Whillock headed to Tech.
    That leaves a 4 person 2019 class at this point.
    Alana Vawter - Kansas City

17. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Yup, to be expected. Does anyone know if the signing period is....November?

18. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

November 14 is the initial signing date for Softball.
    NCAA sign period.png

19. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Evidently Alana Vawter is not a firm commit to Texas. In this article she says she is choosing between Texas and Stanford. We should know soon!

20. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Was Alana a Connie recruit? If so, I would be surprised/impressed. I would assume so since I would be shocked that Mike White landed a highly ranked player that quickly after taking the job. She also may be waiting to see if her Stanford application is accepted. This happens in football recruiting all the time. A player likes Stanford and Texas and they just hover and are vague as to where they are leaning. Suddenly the acceptance letter comes through and they go with Stanford. And everyone says, "Yeah, I would have done the same thing in his shoes"

21. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Yes she is a Connie Clark recruit. She appears to be very highly ranked in the recruiting circles? Watching Coach White build this team will be fun!

22. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Camille Corona on her official visit!!

23. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I will say White is working the circuit hard. My daughter is playing at all of the fall showcases where the best play in Texas with many west coast teams playing. I've seen White around all day with the rest of the UT staff at two of them so far with the Texas Gold Cup coming next weekend. I'm sure he'll be there.

My daughter is so intimidated by the whole thing. She played a friendly yesterday with players from all around and the two teams coaches were Tech, Virginia, Maryland and OSU. White was there and OU with probably 15 other D1 coaches watching.

I enjoy trying to figure out what he is looking for. So far he seems to be primarily looking at pitchers almost all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Very good feedback vol horn! Great perspective from the parent of a player hoping to play at the D-1 level. I believe Coach White and his staff know how to sell themselves and recruit at the highest level.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Another 2019 commit announcing for Texas. London Marder from Humble Atascocita HS. Catcher/3B. I found that she had committed to Texas in August but did not see a formal announcement until now.

26. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

So it looks like the former and current list is:
    Alana Vawter (maybe Stanford) - Kansas City
    Cait Calland - Katy -> Now LSU
    Tori Whillock - Katy -> Now Texas Tech

London Marderr - Atascocita
    And the two transfers from Oregon wouldn't be considered 2019 signees. I wonder if any of those above would come to UT early like Ellsworth?

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Vawter is signing with Stanford.

28. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Bummer! But if my kid had a choice for a full ride between Texas and Stanford? I'd be driving her out to Palo Alto personally.

At the last Fall Ball game against Texas State, it took us a while to realize we were sitting behind Camille Corona and her family. The DS softball headband was the giveaway.

Updated:
    London Marderr - Atascocita
    Cait Calland - Katy -> Now LSU
    Tori Whillock - Katy -> Now Texas Tech
    Alana Vawter -> Flipped to Stanford

• Like Like x 1
  29. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Yea I saw that. Can't hardly blame the girl. Wish her the best of luck!

30. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

The key word here is "acceptance". Was waiting for the academic side to come through first, obviously.

I wouldn't have made it (to Stanford) out of high school. More power to her!