2019 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Sep 5, 2016.

1. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I was at today's volleyball game at Gregory vs. OU and I saw the full court press of the basketball coaches around this young lady. Who is she?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. 05Longhorn

05Longhorn 250+ Posts

That’s Azzi Fudd! #1 player in 2021 class.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

That looks like Azzi Fudd. She’s a 2021 recruit from the east coast and according to some is the best guard in the country regardless of class. Most people think that she’ll go to UConn.

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I can’t find the article I read but it was ranking the top 10 high school players regardless of class at the end of last season and freshman Azzi was in the top 3 with Christyn Williams and Charli, 2 seniors. I’d be surprised if she ends up anywhere other than UCONN or ND but you gotta like Karen and her staff putting in the work. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. Geno is 64 years old - I could see him coaching until he’s 70 but you never know.

• Like Like x 3
  5. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I assume this is an unoffical visit for Azzi and her parents. Therefore, they are visiting Texas on their own dime. Although we may not be the leader, we must be under serious consideration.

• Like Like x 7
  6. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I'm just stunned that many of you could identify her from a blurry picture. You really know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

From reading the UConn board, their posters seem to assume that either they or ND will get Azzi Fudd. I haven't heard anything about Azzi herself saying she is going to one of those schools. I'm impressed that we're getting an unofficial visit.

• Like Like x 3
  8. LutherIsMyDog

According to the Boneyard, UConn was also the favorite to land Jordon Horston. That is, until she chose Tennessee.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Good catch, guys! Even though there is no home football game, Fudd got to spend time with the coaching staff at the volleyball game, watched the players at practice, and more importantly gets to attend our exhibition game tomorrow (I assume).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Wonder if Oakman has any insight on Azzi Fudd and her potential leanings? Couldn’t figure out how to tag Oakman, but if someone else knows and is willing . . . thank you!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

No question that Azzi coming on an UOV is huge for Texas. She is, hands down, the best player in 2021, imo. Watching her play in the FIBA U17 games was amazing.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Wonder if Celeste piqued her interest in Texas while both were on the U17 team?

• Like Like x 5
  13. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I love the way Texas got her on Campus.
    Hookem'

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Man its great we have her on campus. One of the best high school players I've seen. She must have some interest in Longhorn Nation by just coming here...Hope she knows that she could be the centerpiece of our Women's Basketball program for years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

For anyone interested in seeing Ashlee’s games in the FIBA U18 Asia tournament:

• Like Like x 3
  16. Oakman

Oakman Guest

Azzi is top 3 in the country regardless of age. She and Celeste are very friendly with their time at USA basketball. From everyone who I have spoken with Uconn is the favorite to land her however Azzi is also very close with Paige Bueckers, so look to wherever she commits to be the favorite to land Azzi. I do think it’s great for the program to have her on campus. I will say this; nobody had Celeste committing to Texas so I will never underestimate K.A. . Also Celeste absolutely opened the door to kids from the North East looking at Texas I’ve never in my years heard so much chatter about Texas on the woman’s side as I do now so even if you don’t land Azzi or a few from the 20 class don’t drive yourself crazy because the door is open and I am sure you will land quite a few kids from up here in years to come especially if Celeste has a good career at the university

• Like Like x 7
  17. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

As always, your insight is much appreciated. Thanks Oakman!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Maybe Texas could get another D.C. basketball player who chose the Longhorns to reach out to Azzi, tell her how well things worked out for him.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

And don't forget our pro in Washington.

• Like Like x 4
  20. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Okay, with signing day about 2 weeks out, what I've learned from this thread is that Endyia Rogers is the only realistic recruit that Texas has left to land. What are the chances folks? 30%?

21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I couldn’t put a % on it but if I had to guess where they end up:
    Endyia - Mississippi St. (I hope I’m wrong)
    Rickea - S. Carolina
    Zia - S. Carolina

22. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

DFW Horn,
    Rickea and Zia to USC sounds very probable. I was wondering if your thoughts about Endyia are just your best guess, or if you've heard something, or if it's about the need for a point guard at MSU or what? I was hoping geographic pull might bring her here, but geography doesn't seem to matter to players as much anymore.

23. LutherIsMyDog

I'm a glutton for punishment. I'll say Endyia will commit to Texas. Her commitment will give us additional influence with her pals, Angel Reese and Harmoni Turner (both 2020 recruits).

• Like Like x 4
  24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Just a guess based on my pessimistic nature and the amount of time that has passed since her OV to Texas. I actually don't think Miss St has a real need at guard any more than S. California based on their current commits.

25. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Just wondered. I usually lean pessimistic, too. I like LutherIsMyDog's scenario --- we get Endiya, and then Angel and Harmoni next year.

26. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

1 in 5? Based strictly on there being five schools under consideration? I agree with Racer that Endyia seems to be the only player left in contention for a spot in the 2019 class unless the staff springs a surprise, also known to happen.

I like our chances with Endyia . Simply because of what the team is building towards. The only possible drawback is that she would be behind Sug for one year and competing against Chasity for two.

I think Miss. State and Tenn might be our stiffest competition for Endyia.

I am beginning to wonder if Cooke and Jackson will go to the same school. The schools they are looking at are starting to diverge a bit.

27. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I have read somewhere, probably the Boneyard, that Cooke will make her decision this coming Monday. So the chips will soon fall into place for us.

28. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

If we miss out on all (most) of the players this thread has discussed, I am going to have to see a psychiatrist. If Celeste and the Australian post are IT and we miss out on all the thousands of player options, then I have to examine/question my efficiency metric(EM). EM is defined as number of signees divided by number of players discussed multiplied by the exorbitant number hours spent reading and posting divided by the square root of my frustration level multiplied by pie (pecan not 3.1416). In this age of advanced metrics, this is a newly minted metric for my sanity. Rogers...….I and we need you!!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  29. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I wonder how one judges recruits interest in a school. I think typically, we see reposts of them in twitter doing a hook'em from coaches or the official UT twitter account. It's been eerily quiet for these last players.

I figured when the surprised Aussie recruit was disclosed, that was a sign the coaches had closed up shop for 2019. They know they weren't getting any nibbles and had scholarship(s) to give and took a flier out on Ashlee.

That's my gut feel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Players are playing the coaches similar to what the coaches are doing to them. Nobody wants to lose options or flexibility as things evolve. The better players do more of it than others. Hence the twitter turmoil that fans get excited/depressed about. Your "gut feel" is my pie factor. Mr Pessimistic here has that same feeling as my gut grows from all the pie. I agree on the Aussie late commit...…….a "tell" for sure.....no other plausible explanation. You can rationalize it as a developmental post (Ashlee) replacing a developmental post (Aborawa) and you always need one like that. In my less than humble opinion......it is just that...…...a rationalization.