2019 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Sep 5, 2016.

1. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

When my daughter's team was playing AAU (won Southwest Region as a 14 year old team and never finished less than 4th), I scouted and recruited players to join our team from all around north texas. You had to if you wanted to finish that high. I got to see the recruiting up close and personal. Didn't have all the social media, but all the other things were going on between coaches/parents/players. And yes...…..money & benefits were changing hands. Not to insinuate it is happening at the college level now......but ??

2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I have that same gut feeling.

3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Keep in mind that Rellah's transfer opened up an unexpected slot. So, our coaches didn't have much time to get involved with another 2019 post player. Things may have been different if Ashton Prechtel hadn't chosen Stanford, though.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Rellah seems a long time ago. Forgot that. I guess she is at a jr college this year? Hope it turns out well for her but is was apparent early that the fit wasn't good for her and Texas.

5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I wouldn't quite categorize Ashlee as a developmental post in the way Mide was. Australia has one of the best girls basketball development programs in the world and Ashlee has been a contributor on their U-teams for some time. Players that come up in that program are usually fundamentally sound and the only (minor) concern that comes to mind is the possibility they can return to Australia to play pro ball earlier than American players.

As it stands now, with Ashlee and Celeste, Texas has 6 projected open scholarships for the 2020 class. That's a lot to bank on 1 recruiting year considering how quickly your depth can be whittled away at as we've all seen this season and I doubt the coaching staff wants to try to sign a 5-6 HS player class any year. I'm still surprised they did it in 2018.

2018-2019:
    • +1 Open Scholarship
    • +4 Lose Danni, Lashann, Mide and Jatarie
    • -2 2019 commits - Celeste and Ashlee
    2019-2020:
    • +3 Open Scholarships (barring incoming transfers)
    • +3 Lose Sug, Joyner, and Jada
    • 0 2020 Commits

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Lots of good thoughts/info DFW. For sure Ashlee is WAY ahead of where Mide was four years ago. Like night and day. My perception was from watching some of the video on Ashlee and thinking she has a lot of development to do to be able to contribute at the college level. Perhaps her sophomore year? A lot earlier than Mide. Of course she has another year of high school so perhaps she makes lots of strides this year. However, she is not in the ballpark of a Prechtel or other high level posts right now. 5-6 high school players is too many in one year. I think Baylor has five this year but they always have turnover? For sure spread out would be ideal. My thoughts change significantly if Rogers commits and we have 3 for 2019 and 4-5 for 2020. Rogers' is needed.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

As has been discussed/stated numerous times it was always going to be difficult trying to convince a highly touted high school post player to come to Texas because of the players that are in front of them. The two recruits that we’re currently still involved with don’t post much on Social media anyway. The player that Texas would obviously have the best chance to get would be Endyia Rogers. We’ll just have to wait and see what she decides.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

While I really hope that Endyia chooses Texas as we could user her quickness and 3-point shooting (among other skills), I think it's going to be Tennessee. The Lady Vols had one PG transfer out recently, and there is her friendship with 2020 Angel Reese (who visited UT-K unofficially when Endyia was on her official visit) and a friendship with a recent 2019 LV soccer commit.

Hope I'm completely wrong!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I agree, I also think she’ll go to Tennessee. She also has a good relationship and played on the same AAU team with Zay Green.

11. dawood

dawood 25+ Posts

They also played on the same junior high school team.

12. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

well, dang, given all those connections to Tenn, here's hoping she surprises everyone and signs with Texas.

• Like Like x 4
  13. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I know Hayes is out at Tennessee. Would that mean a wide open spot for Endyia at point guard? I don't know the Tennessee roster very well. Didn't Angel Reese take an unofficial visit here, too? Maybe Tenn. is not a done deal.

14. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Zia Cooke is also still in play for TN, as well as TX. I wonder if it is a "first come, first serve" for either team?

15. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Tenn has a soph, Evina Westbrook, playing at PG. She started last season as a frosh and is listed on the Nancy Liebermann Watch for the top PG in the country. It will be tough to displace her at the starting spot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I hope jusme828 is right. I would gladly let the Vols have one if we could get the other.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

wonder how S. Carolina will prioritize? Someone is going to end up disappointed as I can't imagine the Gamecocks having room for all six.

18. SCspur

SCspur < 25 Posts

The ideal class is 4. We have room to take all six but it’s highly unlikely with all being top 15 recruits looking for playing time.

Next year we return 9 unless Te’a Cooper decides to forgo her final season. If we land 4 that would bring us to 13.

The ones I’m most confident in are Cooke, Beal, Amihere, and Jackson. Our fingers are certainly crossed for a good class.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Those four would be a sick class.

• Agree Agree x 7
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Celeste throwing her defender for a loop and then drains the 3:

• Like Like x 8
  22. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Signing day cannot come soon enough for me! I have high, high hopes for Celeste to be a high level player for the horns.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  23. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Zia Cooke to SC. Rickea Jackson to follow?

• Agree Agree x 4
  24. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I sure hope Endyia comes thru for us. SkinHoops86 did put his crystal ball pick as Endyia to Texas. He seems to know what he's doing.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  25. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Not a surprise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

For football recruits, there is a known websites where you can track (and I can't believe I'm down to saying this) crystal ball picks. Where's the one for SkinHoops (crystal balls)?

27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

He also got Ashton Prechtel to Stanford and Jaden Owens to UCLA correct. Hope his streak continues.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

29. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

This is weird. I try not to pay much attention to the "rankings," but I do look at them to get the lay of the land. Endyia is ranked #35 in Hoopgurlz, but, to my shock, I didn't see her name in the top 500 on Prospect Nation. What's up? I've never seen her play, but just from everything I've read and heard, we know that isn't right. (Maybe I was looking at the wrong year.)

30. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I think you were looking at the wrong one. She’s ranked 36 on prospect nation.

• Agree Agree x 2