2019 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Sep 5, 2016.

1. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

It's a little confusing but I think the signatures of "top 20 prospect" is referring to Celeste and Jordyn Oliver. I don't think we will be getting a surprise commitment from another top 20 player (but I hope I'm wrong).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Mmmmm, yeah. A hint was given a few weeks ago, but I'll wait until all the papers are in to see if I was right on my guess. I'm 0-for-1 so far.

Updated: Yeah, re-read that article and I think it's a case that Texas and Baylor will be signing one player from the top-20 and that's it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  3. LutherIsMyDog

I hope your record goes 1-2.

4. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

According to DMNews today, the results from last night say: 1. Gusters with 14 in a 18 point win for Duncanville over a good DeSoto team. Kelly had 6 and was the sixth leading scorer on the team. She apparently is going through an adjustment period. 2. Jordan Merritt with 16 in a 20 point win for Plano vs South Oak Cliff, 3. Jordan Oliver(Baylor) with 29 in a 6 point win for Prosper over a good Richardson team, 4. Myra Gordon with 36 in a blowout win vs Carrollton Ranchview, 5. Mansfield Timberview with a 4 point win over a very good South Grand Prairie team, 6. Jewel Spear with 15 in a the Colony win.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Agree it is confusing wording. I remain hopeful.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LutherIsMyDog

Flash--Thanks for the recap. I really enjoy this type of information. Keep me up to date with Harmoni Turner stats (she and Andrews are my favorite Metroplex players).

I wonder if we are recruiting Myra Gordon ? 36 points is a strong showing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Apparently Turner and Andrews teams were off last night. Myra Gordon is the real deal as I went to watch her play last year and you can’t keep her out of the paint. A real good handle that takes it hard to the rim. A big strong versatile guard/wing. I don’t know about her recruiting. Very quiet. I always thought she would follow sister to UCONN but not sure what the situation is with Lexi there now. She would be an asset to any team.

• Like Like x 2
  8. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

CELESTE HAS SIGNED!
    Code:
    https://twitter.com/_celeste620/status/1062741524092461056?s=20
    #20 ESPN; #29 ASGR; #26 Prospects Nation; member of multiple USA basketball teams; and enthusiastic Longhorn. I particularly prize the last two items on the list.

Sorry, I need to learn how to properly insert a twitter image.

• Like Like x 6
  9. LutherIsMyDog

That's great news! Not only is Celeste an elite player but she also provides leadership, grit and hustle. I predict she will be a fan favorite. She also has that "Brooke McCarty" spark and smile.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  10. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 8
  11. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 8
  12. Oakman

Oakman Guest

• Like Like x 8
  13. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Well-spoken young lady. Welcome!

• Like Like x 6
  14. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Celeste is obviously a wonderful young lady. She is going to be a huge asset to this university, not only in basketball, but in other ways. Well spoken ..........and welcome to The Forty Acres Celeste.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Looks like 2019 recruiting is wrapped up with the official summation provided by TWBB: Women's Basketball signs two standouts for 2019-20 - Texas Athletics
    So, it looks like I'm 0-2. A few weeks ago while Karen was guest speaking for the pre-volleyball session, she was discussing recruiting. She then hesitated and wondered if she should say anything, and then said "Well, I can't get into details, but we're going to probably sign a player from overseas"

And this is where I overthought it. I thought, well duh, we already know about Ashlee.....is she talking about a second player from oversees? I mean in social media we've known for about 2-3 weeks that we picked up a player literally out of the blue.....so she must be talking about ANOTHER overseas player.

Ummm, no.

Whatever happened to that crystal ball of Endyia to Texas? I think it's gotta crack in it!

[my bad]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  16. LutherIsMyDog

Press release from Texas WBB. I like this quote from Kevin Lynch, the director of the Philly Belles

Kevin Lynch, Philadelphia Belles Director …
    "Karen Aston has reached out and snagged a big fish from the East. Celeste brings with her many accomplishments including being a two-time Gold Medal winner with USA Basketball where she was a valued member of her World Championship Team. Celeste is a high-level player with elite skill and athleticism. Her shooting stroke is smooth and consistent and extends to her three-point range. Celeste plays with a high motor and competes on both ends of the floor. Her slashing ability allows her to get to the rim and finish. Her timing and explosiveness allow her to be a factor in both offensive and defensive rebounding. Defensively, she is considered a 'stopper,' as she always accepts the challenge of playing against the opposition's top player. No stage is too big for Taylor, as she flourishes against the country's and the world's top players in her age group."

• Like Like x 6
  17. geewago

geewago 100+ Posts

Big 12 not racking up much today as compared to last year. Just looking at Prospect Nations top 150 list and I can only count 11 and most of them are coming out of the bottom 75. There's still several uncommitted especially in the bottom 50. So things could change a little in a few days as well as in the second go around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Random thoughts on above posts --- I've been wondering about Myra Gordon also, LIMD. She sounds pretty great. Wonder if we are recruiting her. I don't expect her to go to UConn. It doesn't seem like it's gone all that great for Lexi so far (could change anytime.)

Someone on the other page was wondering about Jamie's possible lack of animation. She looks chill on the bench, but I don't think she is inside. Some people don't wear their emotions on their sleeve. Also, I saw a clip somewhere of a practice in which she was extremely animated with the players and gave off a great, upbeat vibe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. LutherIsMyDog

South Carolina has now got 3 of 4 from the above list; Cooke, Beal and Amihere. I haven't seen a report of what school Rickeal Jackson has picked.

As is, that's a great class for Staley.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Horns got a pretty good class. Celeste can play either wing position and we did need another post player since Joyner and Jada will be seniors in 2019 and only Charlie and Sedona will be true posts. I really like Audrey but think she is a bit undersized to play inside, even as a stretch four. And I suppose that Shea could play similar to where Jada is playing this season.

• Like Like x 3
  21. LutherIsMyDog

This article is worth reading. It provides a few details I haven't read elsewhere.

• Like Like x 6
  22. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Rickea Jackson must be having a hard time making up her mind. If she signs with USC too, they may be getting into a logjam situation. My guess now is that she'll sign with one of her other finalists (can't remember who they are --- Tenn? MSU?)

Can't wait to get Celeste here!

• Like Like x 4
  23. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

My thoughts exactly! :yippee:

• Like Like x 1
  24. SCspur

SCspur < 25 Posts

I don’t think it will be a logjam when you consider who will be in front of Rickea for playing time and what position she plays.

As a freshman she will likely split minutes with LeLe Grissett at the 3/4 spot. While Beal will split the 2/3 with Bianca Jackson. A lot of people think that since both Beal and Jackson are wings that they’ll railroad each other. They could easily play at the same time like Allisha Gray and Kaela Davis did the 2017 season. I think the decision is hard for her because of the relationships she’s built with these three coaches and she doesn’t like to tell anyone no. We will know soon enough though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. LutherIsMyDog

I haven't seen any indication of when Rickea will announce her decision. Do you know the date?

26. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

One last thing, Karen mentioned that her "overseas player" would be graduating high school in December. I wonder if she would come over and start school in January....and if that would allow her to practice with the team, though not play?

The reason I bring this up is Raoul talks about another Aussie who signed with Marquette and is planning on enrolling in January.

Just a thought.

• Like Like x 3
  27. SCspur

SCspur < 25 Posts

I’m not sure. The early signing period ends the 21st so I guess we’ll know by then.

28. LutherIsMyDog

South Carolina has a 50-50 chance of getting Rickea Jackson's commitment. We'll know on Friday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Interesting. I would love to see her at Mississippi St. I think she would be scary defensively playing for Vic Shaefer.

• Like Like x 1
  30. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I think she is going to Rutgers.