2019 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Sep 5, 2016.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

updates on Celeste!

• Like Like x 6
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Celeste made the McDAA game this year. Thanks to the internet, I’ve actually seen more of Celeste's games than any Longhorn recruit in quite some time and her selection to the roster is well-deserved.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Absolutely no question that in Celeste, Texas is getting one of the best HS players in this class.

Congrats, Celeste! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

The McDonalds AA game should be very competitive. Lots of talent on both teams.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Only two future Big 12 players on the rosters, Celeste on the East team and Baylor's Oliver on the West team.

6. LutherIsMyDog

Celeste and Jordyn have become friends over the years of playing AAU ball. Now they'll be bitter rivals for at least two days of each basketball season.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Celeste's doing good in interviews! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 5
  8. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

What an awesome young woman. Poised beyond her years. So happy we'll get to see her in the McD game, but even more excited to see her this Fall in Austin!

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Interesting that Endia Rogers didn’t make the team. Especially when you consider she’s probably the best senior in the state.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

I don't know whether Endyia is or isn't the best in the state, we only have the rankings to go on. For all we know someone not ranked at all might end up being the best player in the class. Time will tell I guess. But according to Hoopgurlz, she's ranked #35 among 2019 recruits. And while the rankings aren't as Texas-centric as prior classes, there are still three other Texas players ranked inside the top 20. Like I said, who knows who will ultimately turn out to be the best players from 2019, but based on the rankings we have right now, she was probably on the cusp of making the squad. No doubt a lot of great players didn't make the team, but sadly, there isn't room for everyone. Or even all of those that might be deserving, or worthy in some folks' eyes. But, as a Horn fan, I'm sure glad Celeste made the squad!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  13. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Really believe this kid can have an impact like Ariel and Brooke, not only during her four seasons, but in the program in general. Will be glad when she’s finally on campus.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Celeste has some teammates that I wonder if the staff is looking closely at.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  16. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Nice double back to get that space to shoot. Nice form on the shot.

• Like Like x 3
  17. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 4
  18. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

My concern is that Coach Aston won't see it and will sit her on the pine like she did with Ariel and Brooke behind Brady Sanders, Empress Davenport, Krystal Henderson, and Celina Rodrigo.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Brooke started 15 games of 35 games and averaged 23.2 minutes so she got plenty of minutes. I understand why Celina was the starter for most of the season but when Brooke was ready, she took over. I don't think Ariel was completely healthy until the end of her second season but she was still a shade under 24 mpg in the 27 she appeared in (19 starts).

That being said, I'll never understand how Brady got so many starts that season (29 of 34 games) and led the team in minutes per game (29.9). She brought a lot of energy to the floor and it may be a case of selective memory but I'm getting flashbacks of off target passes into Nneka in the post before she got hurt.

Looking back at the stats for that season (35 games):
    161 blocks = 4.6 game. Longhorns are averaging half that this season (2.3) with Charli (17) and Jatarie (11) the only players with double digit blocks. Kelsey had 48, Imani had 52 primarily off the bench, and Nneka got 32 (in just 17 games).
    • Blocks per Minute:
      • Imani (Jr) - 1 block / 9.35 minutes played
      • Nneka (Sr) - 1 block / 13.94 minutes
      • Kelsey (Soph) - 1 block / 19.23 minutes
      • Charli (Fresh) - 1 block / 20.65 minutes
      • Jatarie (Sr) - 1 block / 49.8 minutes
    The fact Joyner only has 5 (1 block every 83.4 minutes) is disappointing.

I assume the team's number would be improved had Sedona been able to play but the lack of elite defenders on the perimeter combined with limited (Charli) to no shot blocking presence in the paint is another in what is a laundry list of challenges this team and the coaching staff has to find a way to overcome.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  20. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Time will tell loyallonghorn. I want to believe Aston sees/knows what she has with this kid. It seems, from my (twitter mostly) observation, for whatever that may be worth, that her parents have been active in her recruitment. I don’t think she would be signing with any program her parents weren’t approving of. She plays with a fire, IMO, that Brooke and Ariel played with, probably more so, and she strikes me as tough. What can I say? I’ve struggled as much as anyone on this board with what was, what is, what could have been this season, but I’m working to remain optimistic. Think I’ve mentioned it before, but I think this kid brings an attitude of East Coast toughness that will not be denied.

• Like Like x 3
  21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

one of the things that I expect Celeste to add is outstanding man defense on the perimeter as well as elite scoring. Whether that manifests in her frosh year or in her soph year remains to be seen. Neither Brooke nor Ariel really shone until their soph year and then they continued to get better every year. Ariel likely would have started or played in more games her frosh year except for injuries, iirc.

Both Brooke and Ariel, as DFW_Horn mentioned, started about half the games in their frosh year. Coach A doesn't have a problem playing the best player IF that player understands the system and is able to play at the level or better than the returners. Both Brooke and Ariel showed that and I expect Celeste to do better.

As to why Brady was starting. She was the best option in her soph and junior seasons. She was second in 3pts made both seasons, third in assists her soph year and first in assists her junior year, led the team in FT% her soph year, was third in her junior year and was one of the best both years in getting to the FT line. She had a foot injury iirc her senior year and was not a big part of the rotation. But a senior season limited by injury does not negate what she did her soph and junior years, which was be one of the best players on the team. And, yes, she was not the most athletic, fastest nor highest jumper on the team, but she got the most out of her talent by her hustling all the time, not just some of it.
    To paraphrase what Coach A has said, a player earns PT by the way they practice. Brady earned that playing time her soph and junior years by the way she practiced and by the way she played in games. At least until her injury in her senior year relegated her to the bench.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Looks like our other Aussie also was named to the 24 player tryout squad for Australia's FIBA's U19 team. Congrats to both Ashlee and Isabel.

From the article linked in the tweet:

• Like Like x 9
  23. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

I’ll be surprised if one or both of these two Aussies don’t show up to play.

24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Since Celeste has more length than other guards, I'd expect her to step in for Dannie and Ariel a the 3 spot. Obviously, she'll have to compete with Jada and Audrey for playing time there; but, can also play the at the shooting guard position.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. cjon4442

cjon4442 < 25 Posts

Has anyone heard anything about Angel Reese. I know she has us in her final 8.

26. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Senior night for Celeste!

27. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Angel Reese is in the 2020 recruiting class and has not made a commitment to any school yet. Last information I saw on her she had Texas included in her final top 10 of Baylor, Louisville, Maryland, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse, Tennessee, Texas, UCLA and Virginia.

• Like Like x 1
  28. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

More accolades for Celeste:

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Congrats to our incoming frosh, @_celeste620, on being named to the Jordan Brand roster! :yippee:

• Like Like x 5
  30. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

here's a better look at the rosters. Celeste will playing for the visitors team.

• Like Like x 3