2019 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Sep 5, 2016.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

More Celeste highlights from the game - easy to see why she was named MVP.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

May be some late arrivals for the summer work! Good luck Ashlee and Isabel!

• Like Like x 8
  3. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I don’t know how to post the tweet but Karisma Ortiz chose Texas hopefully she’ll get to play immediately.

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
  4. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Interesting. Now to see if she attempts to get a waiver from sitting out a year.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  6. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

It's going to be fun too see her and Celeste on the floor at the same time.
    Hookem'

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Agreed. I also like her size and playmaking ability she’s also a good rebounder and passer. You can also move Sug off the ball and play Karisma at the point when we need Sug to score.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
  8. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

She is good on Defense 2.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I’m not up to date on the transfer rules but will she be immediately available to play since Penn St fired their coach?

10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

There is no rhyme or reason as to how/why the NCAA grants waiver petitions. No, it's not any kind of certainty that a (head) coaching change guarantees the waiver to be approved. If there was "scandal" or "impropriety" regarding a head coach or their program, that often times leads to waiver approval. But, for just a "typical" firing, not likely (but, things are changing all the time).

Definitely no harm in applying for a waiver.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  12. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Good solid pick up by the Horns! She played in 30 games and averaged 3.6 points per game. She also averaged 4.2 rebounds per game. Not a prolific scorer for the Nittay Lions but the average rebounds tell me she is a hustler for the loose ball! Sure hope she will be eligible to play this year!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I wonder what circumstances allow for a transfer eligibility waiver? I've seen it a few times but never knew the back stories.

14. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Any video of Ortiz anywhere? I can’t find it. Seems like I saw a post on her situation at Penn State but can’t find it now that she is a commitment. HELP!

15. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

The NCAA changed the guidelines in the Spring of 2018. The NCAA may grant a request for immediate eligibility if the transfer is due to "documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete's control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete." [A coaching change is outside the student's control. Does it impact the well-being of the athlete?] It also helps if the student's previous school supports the waiver, which the school can now do without admitting any fault on its part, which was an issue in the past. My impression is that more schools are saying, what the hey, we might as well go for it. There is more incentive for the school since top womens basketball players are increasingly using the grad school transfer route or forgoing the fifth year of eligibility to go pro. Think Azura Stevens who took Auriemma by surprise by playing only one year instead of two at UConn after sitting out a year after her transfer. UConn says it will apply for a waiver for Evina Westbrook to be eligible immediately.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Based on some of the bloopers, Isabel’s injury doesn’t seem too severe (selfishly I want to see her at the U19 event in July).

• Like Like x 4
  17. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Color me surprised - Ashlee made the Australian U19 team but Isabel didn’t. I assume it was injury-related but the way she was moving in the previous post, I thought she’d be ready by late July. Anyway, congrats to Ashlee.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Longhornnation27

Longhornnation27 < 25 Posts

According to some reports ,Isabel had foot surgery not long ago to correct a ligament injury that was giving her grief and would not have been ready in time for the Championships. She would have definitely made that team.

• Like Like x 5
  19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for the background. She performed so well in previous FIBA events I figured she was a lock (if healthy).

• Like Like x 4
  20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  21. LonghornsWBB

LonghornsWBB 25+ Posts

Esmery Martinez may be a potential late add to the 2019 class. She requested her release from Mississippi State a few days ago. She was recruited by South Carolina, Florida State, UCLA, and Louisville among many others. Not a top 100 player, but very talented, and likely would have been top 100 if she played her senior season (was out with an ACL tear)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Interesting.

Notebook: Ginn wins national honor, status uncertain

HOOPS RELEASE

MSU women’s basketball signee Esmery Martinez may not be playing for the Bulldogs after all.

The three-star forward from the Dominican Republic has asked coach Vic Schaefer to release her from her letter of intent.

“I would like to thank Mississippi State University and the coaching staff for recruiting me,” Martinez tweeted late on Tuesday night. “However, after much thought and discussion with my family, I have decided to ask for my release and reopen my recruitment.”

• Like Like x 1
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We got Esmery!!

• Like Like x 5
  24. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Welp, Texas is such a cesspool that they continue to have quality players transferring in. Interesting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Hope Esmery recovers from her ACL injury sustained in high school in time to play this season.

• Like Like x 2
  26. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

It's interesting effect with the transfer portal. With a player who has signed a LOI and then decided before that school year starts to transfer, a previous fight of wills between the signee and the school would have began. But now, schools are just saying, "yeah, okay we'll let you off the hook. you'd just enter the portal anyway."

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'm not sure Esmery is considered a transfer as she was released from her signed LOI before attending classes at MSU. Maybe splitting hairs; but, could be a huge hair if it's the difference between immediate eligibility and having to sit out a one year transfer season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  28. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

You are correct.

29. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

I don’t think we have her. Don’t see anything on social media about this other than your post. Probably help if I could read spanish

• Like Like x 1
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I might have jumped the gun.

The translation is basically that now that Esmery has re-opened her recruitment, how would she look in this (Texas) uniform?

I'd say it's definitely good news though as FDM bothered to create that mockup of her in the Longhorns uniform; they haven't done that for any other school's uniform. So, fingers crossed that it ends well for us.

Anyone know when the first Summer session at Texas begins?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1