2019 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Sep 5, 2016.

1. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Love her shooting form.......textbook. Her handle is special, her passing and finishing at the rom is excellent. Most of all I like her elevation on her pull-up jumper. A lot to like. Thanks for the clip.

• Like Like x 7
  2. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

1000 points for Celeste

• Like Like x 7
  3. LutherIsMyDog

I'm really excited about this future Horn. I love Celeste's basketball skills but I also like the spark and the grit of her personality. She's going to be fun to watch.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Oakman

Oakman Guest

Just saw this this morning

• Like Like x 7
  5. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

I am too, LutherIsMyDog! I’m hoping she’ll bring in some of that East Coast toughness that I think we need (not because I’m from the East Coast—Texas Native here) to get to the next level. #LongIslandLonghorn

• Like Like x 4
  6. LutherIsMyDog

Another tournament win for the LuHi Girls Basketball team and another MVP award for Celeste Taylor. Congrats to LuHi and Celeste. You make it look easy.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Oakman

Oakman Guest

Another tweet from the game

• Like Like x 9
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Hadn't noticed that Taylor Jones does not have A&M (Dad's alma mater) as a finalist.

• Like Like x 2
  9. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Tuesday results from DMNews. M Gordon had 20 in a 2 point win. J. Merritt had 16 in a 14 point win. L Davenport apparently didn’t play. J Owens had 8 in a 34 point loss. Gusters had 14 in a close game as S Andrews had16. Z Green had 18. Again Duncanville looks human even with a 29-1 record. N Green had 23 for B Lynch.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Really excited about the possibilities for our 2019 class. Having Ashten Pretchel here visiting unofficially for the UConn game is a strong indicator that we are a serious player for this 6'5 kid out of Colorado.

Could we end up with an all-out-of-state 2019 signing class? I'm thinking 4 signees will be the magic number.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  11. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I am iffy on Colorado players. I remember Aston took the Colorado POY early in her coming home to UTand she couldn’t play. Was hurt most of her time but marginal prospect as I saw it. Colorado is not a hoop hot bed. Carey should know so I trust her judgement.

12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, when Coach signed Diani Akigbogun, she wasn't ranked too highly by the different services; obviously, they aren't always correct, but sometimes they are. Even in her limited play prior to her injuries, I wasn't convinced she would receive a lot of minutes in her future career at Texas.

Despite that, I am not ready to use one player from the state of Colorado as an indicator of the talent in the state; it's just not a large enough sample size.

Based on the article I posted a couple of weeks ago, Ashten Prechtel has a lot of skills for a 6'5 player. As far as recruiting rankings, PropsectNation has her at #90, while Hoopgurlz has her at #25.

Articles I found on Ashten:

http://www.coloradopremierbasketbal...eceives-multiple-national-player-week-honors/

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/i5aKfL...-corps--ashten-prechtel,-discovery-canyon.htm

• Like Like x 2
  13. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Good thoughts Mooooo. When Aston was trying to get a foothold in recruiting, she got several commitments from players that were marginal. Players like the 2 from Cedar Hill and the 2 from Aledo. I went to see them play as juniors and was not impressed. They could play but wouldn’t get Texas out of the mediocre typecast the program was in. Ultimately all four decommitted. I think the guard from Cedar Hill had a pretty good year at North Texas and the other is a senior at Tech this year. Dry and Z???? From Aledo went to Baylor but never played. There were others. Diana A was in that group. Once Aston got McCarty and others the recruiting picked up as other good players could be accessed. I understand that teams need depth players but guess I am greedy now. Want nothing but difference makers so Horn Nation can someday celebrate victories over UCONN and Baylor. Not saying Prechtel is not that. Just saying playing in a hotbed of basketball like we see in Texas makes me watch with interest going to Colorado for a player.....even a 6’-5” one. Of course Carey was from Colorado before going to Stanford so we did ok with her. I think Aston and staff can now get in the living room with most recruits in the country. Hope Prechtel is one of those.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Pretty sure those two players from Cedar Hill had committed to Goestenkors. I "heard" (which means I don't really know...), that Aston told those two they weren't going to be a fit for the program she wanted to build. The two from Aledo did commit to KA but never heard anything about why they changed their minds. Didn't matter though in hind sight.

• Like Like x 1
  15. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

After reading the article, will be watching with interest the U16 trials in May. Going from top 37 last year to perhaps final 12 would give a good indication of her progress. USA staff won’t be influenced by geography or AAU team. Prechtel apparently is committed to basketball versus volleyball and that is important. Keith van Horn was an outstanding NBA player and played with the Mavs for a couple of years. It appears that her game mirrors van Horns game. Both were tall and wanted to play outside. van Horn getting her to get better inside is key in that I don’t see a 6-5 player succeeding only outside. He has the skins to convince her. Also with our staff, she would have supreme post coaching and outside coaching.

• Like Like x 2
  16. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

From the DMNews for Friday night in the Metroplex. J Merritt had 20 for Plano in a 2 point win with Davenport not playing against a good McKinney Team. J Owens with 36 in a 3 point loss to a good Allen team. M Gordon with 19 in a 12 point win. Gusters with 12 and Z Green with 19 in a 79 point win. Yes 79 with 53-1 at half time. S Andrews with 10 in a 14 point win. J Spear with 18 in a 37 point win for The Colony.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

You know, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a 6'5 player who wants to play outside and has the skillset to do it. Not sure we've ever had that. Would definitely compliment our 6'5 - 6'7 interior players. A true stretch-four is always in high demand; Charli might be able to do it, but she seems to have the strength and power that is better suited to spend most of her time in the paint.

18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, was anyone able to get confirmation of any more uncommitted recruits who attended Monday night's game against UConn? Seems like Aston Prechtel and London Clarkson were the only names I saw posted.

19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yes, the kids from Cedar Hill were very early commits to Coach G. Coach G also had the commitments from the two Caron-Goudreau twins.

20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, recruiting early on for Coach A seemed fast and furious. The verbal commitment of Lashann Higgs, Alyssa Dry, and Justis Sczepanski-Beavers were very early based on their class (sophomores in high school?).

I vaguely remember a 5'10 wing player out of one the Mansfield schools who recruited very early for the 2014 class. She looked very good on film in transition; I labeled her as a "finisher" because she looked the part. But, after Brooke, Ariel, and Tasha committed, social media indicated that she had "decommitted". She ended up signing with Arizona, but don't know if she ever enrolled there and played.

21. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

She still plays for Arizona. I saw a tweet either today or yesterday and she was getting interviewed after the game. Her name is Jalea Bennett.

• Like Like x 3
  22. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

The twins' recruitment was a mystery. One would have to dig deep for clarification of what I remember. I think they gave a "soft" verbal to Goestenkors, but they weren't even in high school yet (from Canadian placements to USA school placements). They went to IMG Academy in Florida, and had a change of heart there. Both committed to Vanderbilt, and played there for one year. We all know the rest of that story. But, they were both still interested in Texas enough that they separated for a year while Audrey-Ann went JUCO for a year.

I recall the player you mentioned from Mansfied as well. Mansfield-Timberview maybe? Don't remember the name though.

23. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  24. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Ya’ll have great memories plus it is good to be able to read about it in an article. Lots of names in there that were misses. Some had ok careers elsewhere. I went to see Bennett in a playoff game and came away wondering as she was athletic but an undersized inside player. Glad to hear she has had some success at Zona. All the misses and other just goes to show the difficulty in projecting high school players. By the way, I watched the Oregon vs Oregon State game Friday night. Went into OT with the win to OSU.......#18 taking #7 down. OSU made their first 9 BTA’s.....reminded me of TCU and their 9 of 11. The point guard for Oregon (Ionescu) we recruited had almost 40 points.......I think she was a second or third team all American as a freshman last year.

• Like Like x 1
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Ionescu has been phenomenal - has already set the career triple double record in women’s college basketball (8) and she hasn’t even finished her sophomore year.

• Like Like x 3
  26. LutherIsMyDog

Two of my favorite 2019 recruits, Jordan Horston and Rickea Jackson. Their respective teams played each other last night with Detroit Edison (Jackson's team) giving Africentric (Horston's team) their first loss of the season. Horston scored 19 points and Jackson scored 26 points.

• Like Like x 9
  27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Will be interesting to see if we are recruiting any true PGs for 2019. Other than perhaps Jaden Owens (who I still don't know if there is mutual interest), doesn't seem like we are involved with any guard prospects.

28. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

yes, it does seem that we have seen interest primarily from tall wings and posts. I would hope we are looking at some PGs cuz if I worked the years right, we would only have a senior Chasity at the point when Deja came in 2020. Unless one of the Gs coming next year is going to be a PG.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Oakman

Oakman Guest

I was upset I couldn’t make this game but just saw it will be streamed live. Will be a good game interesting to see Baylor commit Honesty Grayson vs Texas commit Celeste Taylor

• Like Like x 7
  30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

@Oakman
    Do you know the final score? They kept bouncing the feed all over the place and it went out completely with about 17 seconds left in the game, Riverdale up by 3 (I think) and just missed the first of 2 foul shots.

• Like Like x 1