2019 Recruiting - WBB

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Sep 5, 2016.

1. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Welcome to Texas, Celeste!! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 4
  2. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Great news! So happy that Celeste is coming to Texas. Congrats to Celeste and Coach Aston!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 7
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  5. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 8
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  7. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

• Like Like x 7
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Love her length at 5'11. Should be able to play both SG and SF for us.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  11. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

So happy to have you as a Longhorn! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

For those who didn’t get to see the announcement:

• Like Like x 8
  13. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Sweet jump shot. Great court vision. Successor to Ariel A at the 3?

• Like Like x 1
  14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

might also grow an inch or two before she comes to Austin.
    Welcome, Celeste! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Great way to start off the 2019 class with a tall guard who has perimeter shooting skills.

How the rest of the class rounds out is anyone's guess right now. A poster on Orangebloods.com stated that we are involved with Rickea Jackson out of Detroit, MI and Jordan Horston out of Columbus, OH. First time I've ever seen those name associated with Texas.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Wish I wasn’t too cheap to buy a subscription - I’m interested in their waaay too early look at the 2019 Texas outlook.

• Like Like x 2
  19. airtightskipole

airtightskipole 25+ Posts

So excited to have her on our team. I can’t wait to cheer her on and win many games with her leading the way. Hookem Celeste.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

She looks like a good get, but not top 10 like we're used too now with Karen. I guess we're getting spoiled. I know its early, but 4 of the top 10 are already committed including #1 Green from TX to Loserville. Does anyone know where we stand with Scott, Jones, Owens?

21. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Welcome to Texas
    CT
    Hookem'

• Like Like x 1
  22. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I'm not certain if #14 (ESPN) or #46 (PN) tells the true story, but if she's the #46 best player in the nation, that speaks volumes about WBB today.
    Wow.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Player rankings fluctuate. I love that Celeste was selected for the USA U16 basketball squad, and that her father is a Texas-Ex.

• Like Like x 8
  24. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Sorry, but that's one of the more ridiculous things I've read on here. Ratings are VERY subjective. Being rated #14 by ESPN does not mean that she is not a top 10 player. Considering that she was offered by so many other great schools, it's a BIG get for us. I highly doubt Notre Dame, South Carolina, etc. would be offering if she wasn't a MAJOR talent. I don't get too caught up in those rankings and you shouldn't either........

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Will be interesting to see if Celeste's verbal commitment speeds up the decisions of some other UT targets for 2019 (or even for 2020). At most, there are three slots left for the 2019 class; perhaps only two.

Some names of note:

- Nyah Green -- committed to Louisville; Baylor fans seem to think that she may decommit and choose Baylor; have read nothing about her and Texas

- Liz Scott -- as far as I know, has never visited Texas unofficially or attended any of our summer camps; did visit A&M unofficially (or attended their camp). Like Green and Baylor signee, NaLyssa Smith, plays club ball for San Antonio's Finest (read into that what you may)

- Jaden Owens -- previously committed to SMU. Played club ball with Cy-Fair Shock and Texas signees Charli Collier, Audrey Warren, and Sedona Prince. Not sure if she has visited Texas unofficially; don't believe she attended our summer camp (but some photos earlier in this thread might suggest that she did). Our recruitment of her (assuming she is interested) could be dependent on 2020 PG Sarah Andrews of Irving MacArthur as I don't believe we'll take a PG in both classes.

- Taylor Jones -- attended our summer camp two years ago; not sure about this past summer. Has visited us unofficially several times. Her Dad is an Aggie, but doesn't hide (on social media) his daughter's affinity for Texas. Not sure if she would play Center or Power Forward in college. Our recruitment of her could be dependent on 2020 Hannah Gusters and Deyona Gaston, and how she fits in with Charli and Sedona (as far as roster balance).

- London Clarkson -- local player out of Pflugerville. Seems to be a true power forward and very physical players. Reported offers from Miss. State, LSU, and A&M. Time will tell how serious Texas is about her (and the other way around).

- Haley Jones -- Coach Aston must really want her if she boarded a plane for California right after the conclusion of the McNeese State game to go attend one of her daily practices. She might be that one recruit who Coach A waits for if she plans to take official visits next Fall and not make a decision until November 2018.

- Other names from out of state: Samantha Brunelle, Rickea Jackson, Jordon Harston, and Laeticia Amihere.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  26. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Five Juniors, so five available ships.

27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yes, you are correct. If the coaching staff's main targets all want to come, I can see allotting all five available scholarships for 2019. But, I'm more of the opinion that we'll hold one of those 'ships for 2020 for better balance (four in each upcoming class).

• Like Like x 2
  28. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Just an update on Haley Jones. She visited South Carolina this past weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

That's definitely in South Carolina's favor that Haley Jones' family would pay their own way for an unofficial visit clear across the country. Will be worth watching to see if she makes any comparable unofficial visits.

30. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

A couple of fair and biased comments for your perusal and ridicule.
    1. TaylorJones has disappeared from the Dallas Christian box scores for the entire year so far. She is either hurt or plays somewhere else. In that there is another Jones listed in the scores, that is more likely her little sister. Probably hurt. Just guessing. anybody really know ?
    2. Nyah Green who plays for Bishop Lynch has been listed as the top player for 2 or 3 years. She committed to Louisville a long time ago. In the box scores she has not even been the top player on her team. There is another player that has been scoring around 25 a game recently with Green around 15. I wonder about the recruiting services and have been VERY cautious on those since we got the number one player in the country from Cali about 15 years ago and she wasn’t even a top 100. In that my opinion is solely based on box scores, Green and the Louisville fans have perfect right to call me an idiot .....but I wonder about her. Maybe if I wasn’t so lazy, I would drive 15 minutes and give her the eyeball test. However since Aston apparently has not recruited her, I am not motivated.
    3. My eyeballs tell me Celeste T is the real deal and rated about right or could be higher.

Yes.. that is 3 comments rather than 2 but I am excited on a monday about Horns WBB.

• Like Like x 6