2019 RPI and Bracketology

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Thought I'd start this tread so we could discuss how things progress between now and the unveiling of the NCAA tournament bracket.

Rating Percentage Index (RPI) Live 2018-2019 Women's College Basketball - WarrenNolan.com

Bracketology with Charlie Creme

During last night's TV broadcast of the TCU game, it was mentioned that our RPI was #30, while TCU was at #43. As a result of our win, we moved up to #27; but, TCU dropped 8 spots to #51, putting them in serious jeopardy of not making the NCAA tourney. They will be desperate for a win against us on Saturday night, or they will be looking at the WNIT with a loss.

For us, need to keep winning to stay out of that 8-9 seed talk. While it looks like we are in good shape for a #7 seed at worse, don't forget about those "procedural bumps" where the committee has to move a team up or down one seed in order to avoid second round matchups between teams from the same conference. So, we know Baylor will be a #1 seed; so, we wouldn't be put as the #8/9 in their bracket. But, if those ACC teams like Louisville and Notre Dame are #1 seeds, and other ACC teams (like North Carolina) are slated for #8/9 seeds, we are at risk at being "bumped" to a #8 seed to avoid those intra-conference matchups.

• Like Like x 4
  2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

That's some good analysis IMO. We really need a win Saturday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for starting the thread, Moooooo.
    The NCAA RPI site still has us at 30 but has not updated to include the win over TCU Tuesday. I am hoping that our RPI, etc will have us at no worse than a six seed, possibly a 5 seed, depending on what happens during tournament play for the conferences.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Hmmmn . . .

The version I looked at this morning and just now has us listed at #27; so, it does include the win over TCU. And, the same list I see is showing TCU down from #43 to #51.

Perhaps you have a cookies issue, or some type of refresh issue.

• poop poop x 1
  5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

nah, just looked at the wrong column, probably. Didn't pay attention to the number of columns. Happens sometimes. :smile1:

6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Lots of teams will be losing a game as the conference tournaments begin. All our team can do is try to win the next against TCU. If we do that, no matter what happens against ISU (most likely) in the semi-finals, we won't fall lower than #7 (unless there is a procedural bump). Not positive, but win or lose against ISU still helps our RPI just by playing them as they are #11 in RPI. In the glass half-full outlook that we get to the championship game against Baylor, that also bumps up our RPI ranking, win or lose against the Bears. Of course, if we do the unlikely and win 3 games in OKC, we could just get a Top 16 seed; but, the odds area against that.

As fans, we should root against the teams ahead of us in RPI (like Rutgers, Kentucky, Florida State, DePaul, Oregon State, and Arizona State) hoping for early exits in their conference tourneys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  7. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Here's hoping that Virginia can knock off Syracuse tomorrow. Come on, Coach T, will your team to a win!

8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Syracuse is a very good team; haven't followed UVa and Tina this season.

• poop poop x 1
  9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Selection Show Monday, March 18

First Round (Round of 64)
    Friday, March 22-Saturday, March 23: Campus sites

Second Round (Round of 32)
    Sunday, March 24-Monday, March 25: Campus sites

Albany Regional (Sweet 16, Elite Eight)
    Friday, March 29-Sunday, March 31: Albany, N.Y. Times Union Center

Chicago Regional (Sweet 16, Elite Eight)
    Saturday, March 30-Monday, April 1: Chicago Wintrust Arena

Greensboro Regional (Sweet 16, Elite Eight)
    Saturday, March 30-Monday, April 1: Greensboro, N.C. Greensboro Coliseum

Portland Regional (Sweet 16, Elite Eight)
    Friday, March 29-Sunday, March 31: Portland, Ore. Moda Center

Women's Final Four
    Friday, April 5: Tampa, Fla. Amalie Arena

National Championship
    Sunday, April 7: Tampa, Fla. Amalie Arena

10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• poop poop x 1
  11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Virginia couldn't erase the double digit deficit they had at halftime and lost to Syracuse, 67-57.

12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Missouri (behind us in RPI) beats Kentucky (ahead of us in RPI). Need Mizzou to lose to Miss. State tomorrow.

• poop poop x 1
  13. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I agree with this but, really, I would love to see Mizzou take down Miss. State.

14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Teams starting to decline the WNIT even before an invite is issued.

Purdue, Georgia, Georgia Tech, & Utah have all stated that they will not accept a WNIT invitation.

15. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I have mixed feelings about turning down the WNIT. If you play in the NIT, a team gets more practice time and additional chances to compete against other teams. Do coaches turn it down because the NIT is beneath them or are there other reasons?

16. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I wonder if it has to do with unplanned financial reasons. IIRC, teams have to travel to the higher seed's location, every game. Depending on your seed and how many games you win, mileage and money may rack up to an amount that many schools don't have or just will not budget for.

Then again, it seems like more and more teams are turning down the invitation every year.

17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Don't look now, but Kansas State is all the way up to #30, while we are at #29. So, even though none of us liked losing twice to them this season, their body of work has improved greatly over the course of the season.

West Virginia dropped to #78 (10 spots) after today's loss to KSU, and is out of the NCAA tourney again.

• Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Win over TCU bumps us to #25 ! Think we are now no worse than a #7 seed. So, close to possible #6 seed; playing ISU with their strong RPI could help us even if we lose, but a win ensures us of #6 seed (except for a dreaded procedural bump).

TCU falls to #56, and out of the NCAA tourney, IMO.

• Like Like x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  19. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sorry to hear that about TCU and WVU. Hopefully at least one of them gets in, probably TCU.

20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

At-large teams have to be at least in the 40's; and, that's without a lot of extra upsets in conference tourney championships. Pretty sure TCU is out.

• Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  21. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

TCU and WVU might be out, but it wouldn't surprise me to see both make the field. As far as the Horn's seeding, kind of pointless to talk about with one, and potentially two tough games in front of us. After that first BU loss I might have picked us to reach the tourney final, and in with a strong chance at upsetting the Bears. But the end of season weirdness just has me thankful we made it out of round one. All of that said, I see us as 6 seed right now. A win vs. ISU and reaching the Big 12 final should move us to a 5.....and a Big 12 tourney win (as unlikely at that seems at the moment) still gives us a good chance at hosting. Of course depends on what some other teams do. Oregon State had a chance at hosting if they'd finished strong in the Pac-12 tourney, instead they just lost to Washington (2-15, dead last in the PAC); entering the tournament Washington was outside the top 150 in the RPI :yikes:. And don't forget, if the Horns were to pull off the miracle, and make the Big 12 final and beat the Bears, then those other Big 12 teams would see their seeds rise also (since they beat us at least once). A Big 12 tourney win would mean we would have defeated the #1 team in the country, and (potentially...if WVU, TCU and the Vols make the NCAA field - IMO a good chance that at least two of the three will, and possibly all three) then all of our losses will have been to NCAA teams, and regardless of their NCAA fate, all losses will have been to teams within the top 60 of the RPI. All of that and a 25-win season gives us a strong chance at hosting. A lot of speculation, and have to see how everyone finishes out their respective tournaments; for now, I just hope we take care of business vs. the Cyclones! ISU is currently 11th in the RPI, so if we take them out and finish 2-1 against them for the season, you'll see another nice jump in our RPI entering the final.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

For TCU, a lot depends on what happens with the remaining conference tournament; I guess they can still be considered a bubble team. WVU is out with such a low RPI; not happening.

For us, what is hurting us the most is our non-conference SOS of #98; just a poor job of scheduling by Karen this season. And, no "quality" non-conference wins; and, losing at home to Tennessee didn't help as they below TCU and also a bubble team. Our best win of the year is against ISU (#11).

• Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Creme's bracketology from Sunday morning.

Bracketology with Charlie Crème

Guess he had TCU in before we beat them Saturday night; now he has them as Last Four Out in favor of schools like Indiana and Tennessee. And, with all these teams not having any more games left, it all comes down to the committee's subjective decisions.

• Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We are now up to #24, one spot ahead of Oregon State. Not sure who lost today that would have bumped us up (temporarily). Things changing by the hour.

What's most important is trying to get a win over ISU; and, if we lose, just seeing how that changes our RPI.

• Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  25. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

I think having only a ten team conference hurts. Teams need to help themselves by playing better nonconference schedules and not counting on conference games to raise their RPIs. Not working anymore with at least a third of the conference teams (each played twice) acting as a drag rather than a help. Texas generally schedules pretty well but may have miscalculated a bit this year.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I think it's the opposite. At least by being "forced" to play 18 conference games, our overall SOS is #29, despite our non-conference SOS is #96. If we were in a 12 school conference, we'd only play 16 conference games (like we used to).

If we stopped playing so many non-conference teams whose RPI is in the 200's, we'd be just fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

This.

28. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Well, Jada should be available to play in the next game. I believe that will be in two weeks or so.

29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

The loss to ISU drops us to #28. So, pretty much a #7 seed unless we get pushed up/down due to a procedural bump.

30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts