2020-21 Schedule

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, I'm assuming we make return road trips to:

- Arizona
    - Stanford

Annual game would be at home against Tennessee.

Probably get a return home game against South Florida.

As for the SEC/Big 12 challenge (if it continues again), it's our year to play at home. Hope our game against Tennessee isn't counted as part of the challenge like it was this past season. We've played Georgia, South Carolina, and Miss. State in years past. Maybe we'll get someone like Arkansas, A&M, or Kentucky at home; doubt it will be Miss. State. 2019 matchups:

Women's Big 12/SEC Challenge schedule announced

And, probably a handful of games against the regional schools like North Texas, UTSA, UTRGV, Southern, McNeese State, Northwestern State, etc. Vic's non-conference schedules had plenty of these type of games, too, so I'd expect that to continue at Texas, at least in season one.

2019-20 Women's Basketball Schedule - Mississippi State

Hopefully, in a couple of seasons, we'll upgrade those recent regional schools with others like SMU, Rice, Houston, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  2. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

The one knock I had (if you can even call it that considering his deep tournament runs) was that MSU never scheduled particularly tough OOC games. Could be because no one wanted to play them, but seeing as how UConn can get a slate full of too 15 games I doubt it. Would like to seen him schedule games that will get butts in the seats. Watching us trounce UNT, or Corpus Christi CC doesn’t sound terribly appealing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. LonghornsWBB

LonghornsWBB 25+ Posts

Isn't UConn on the schedule soon?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yes, on the road, I believe. Forgot about that being a definite.

5. LonghornsWBB

LonghornsWBB 25+ Posts

Here is confirmation:

• Like Like x 5
  6. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

So we will be playing at uconn next season?

7. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Any date for UConn Game yet??

8. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I talked to Angela Ortega last year at the pot luck dinner about scheduling the three teams you mentioned, Rice, SMU or Houston. She said they would not agree to play Texas. Even at their place. One school that will probably not be on the future schedule is Northwestern State, which was Ortega’s alma mater. I always felt they were the least competitive team we played all year.

• Like Like x 2
  9. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

When the pandemic season is over, and eventually it will be, in the future I'd like to see our program showcased nationwide with games scheduled with at least one team from all of the notable conferences -- SEC, PAC, ACC, BIG TEN, and BIG EAST -- with strategic locations that would give us exposure to major cities that are hotbeds for girls hoops.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  10. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Which would make for a much more interesting schedule!

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I really hope Vic decides to schedule a game in the city of Houston every year or every other year against a school like A&M. Not that I care about A&M, necessarily, but with Vic and Blair having a friendship, perhaps they'll make it happen sooner rather than later; hopefully, they won't want to avoid playing each other. Could definitely benefit both programs recruiting-wise, and would allow several players to play in their home city. And, you know Mulkey would hate it . . . :smokin:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

It’s a bit gimmicky but 1 thing Geno often does is schedule games in the home town or as close as he can get to his seniors’ homes - off the top of my head I remember he did it for Stewie, Napheesa Collier, and a game in Canada for Kia Nurse. The roster at Texas will usually include a lot of home state kids but, in a few years, trips to NY (Celeste), LA (Ashley Chevalier) or the Bay Area (Karisma) all offer plenty of opportunities for quality matchups.

No special scheduling needed for Aaliyah as Texas will play 1 game a season just 10 miles from her home town.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Jerritt Elliott has done this type of scheduling a lot for his out-of-state volleyball players over the years.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  15. Jacob Johnson

So will texas still be playing Tennessee? I would think that both coaches would want to keep this tradition going.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

I believe that rivalry game will continue regardless of the B12/SEC Challenge games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Yes, we've played every year even when we were not the matchup for the B12 SEC challenge

• Like Like x 1
  18. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Always.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

UCONN series delayed a year.

The start of UConn’s home-and-home series with Texas has been postponed by one year at the request of the Longhorns. The Huskies will entertain Texas in 2021-22 and travel to Austin the following season to complete the contract.

Rematch with Schaefer has to wait

• Like Like x 2
  21. Jacob Johnson

I actually think it's a great move by Vic. This being his first season at Texas, Uconn is not the team you want in your first game as a new head coach. Once Vic and his staff have this program under there wing for a year I am confident we will be able to compete with any team in the country :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I recall that I was not in favor of us opening the Vic Schaefer era on the road at UConn. But, as I look at their updated roster, I am shocked that it only contains 10 players, none of whom are seniors, and 5 true freshmen.

2020-21 Women's Basketball Roster - University of Connecticut Athletics

So, perhaps this year would have been a good season to play them after all . . . :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I can't disagree - this is going to be a very inexperienced team by UCONN standards, especially after Megan Walker left early for the WNBA draft. Geno usually only gives 6-8 players meaningful minutes in the vast majority of UCONN's games so having 10 isn't as bad for them as others but, IMO, they were probably going to be more vulnerable to start this season than typical Huskie squads.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, the PAC 12 announced they will play no sports until January 2021. So, that most likely means we won't be playing at Arizona and Stanford in November or December.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  25. Jacob Johnson

If it's not conference only I expect all of the non conference games to be in state. Such as A&M, Smu, North Texas, rice etc..

• Like Like x 1
  26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

That would currently work as the in-state non-Big XII teams are all in conferences currently moving forward with fall sports (SEC, USA, AAC, Southland, Sun Belt, WAC). As we all know, that could change - especially after it was reported today that an unnamed Southland conference school had 34 positive corona results after their first round of testing. The Southland includes Aggy CC, ACU, SFA, SHSU, Lamar and Houston Baptist.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Jacob Johnson

One idea I heard that actually sounded fun was instead of playing for a fall championship. At the end of conference play since mostly everyone is conference only you take all the teams in Texas who are playing and have a tournament called the "Texas state championship" since there is no ncaa championship you do this as a replacement instead. This will really show which team runs Texas!

• Like Like x 1
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

They used to have a collegiate state tournament back in the days before the NCAA became the governing body for WCBB.

• Like Like x 3
  29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Scratch off the Southland and WAC - just announced postponements to spring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Of all the Big XII schools to get info from...

• Dislike Dislike x 2