2020 Presidential Debate #1 Thread

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by horninchicago, Sep 29, 2020.

1. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Regardless of whether he had a wire, teleprompter or a mini coach in his pocket, Trump's inability to shut up and allow Joe to hang himself was all Biden needed. While Wallace was no friend to Trump, Trump was his own worst enemy.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I'm still voting for him. The country will end as we know it if Biden wins. That is not hyperbole. The radical left will take over and destroy every institution in the country. They are trying to while not occupying the White House.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. horninchicago

I saw a Newsmax video where one of the guys was saying the questions asked were ones that Wallace likely knew would get under Trump's skin, like the condemn white supremacists ********.

4. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Yeah that was a nonsense pandering question to make Trump look bad. And of course Trump can't just say it. But Wallace knew that and that's why he asked it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

He should have been waiting on that like a slow moving hanging curveball. Again, Trump was unprepared and obviously did not listen to anyone coaching him.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Joe did not appear senile or suffering from dementia, or anything like that. Granted, he was no Kennedy or Bentsen on the debate stage, but he came off good enough for being Biden. Pretty decent night for Biden. (Yeah, I know, his bar was set so low...).

I don’t know if there are any more debates scheduled, but if there are, Biden should cancel them and leave good enough alone.

7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I seriously don't understand the problem with unequivically condemning white supremacists and Nazi's. It's so easy. What is it that makes him hold back?

I suppose a Liberal would say, "Because he is one, stupid."

I just don't think he is. I think he's an egomaniac and might have some idea that white people made this country great blah blah blah because that's what people tend to think sometimes when they look back on history.

But he's not a skin-head or a Nazi or anything that is threatening to people.

White supremacy is an idea; just like Joe thinks ANTIFA is an ideal. White supremacy is aligned with US exceptionalism because people look back on history and see who led it.

But white supremacy is a ridiculous concept because of the failures of this country, starting with race relations. True supremacy would far outstrip military and economic might.

It would be about humanity. And our history is not a pretty sight. I'm not afraid to say it. It's not.

But Trump seems to be embracing white supremacists as if they are the flag or the anthem. It's stupid and I'd ring his damn neck if I were his debate coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. horninchicago

He did condemn them in the strongest terms 3 years ago after the Charlottesville thing, so the entire questioning last night was BS. It infers he is one of them.

He condemned them and it was just flat out ignored and reported with no context.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. horninchicago

None of those groups are rioting and burning down several cities and forcing people to raise a fist. Yet, trump is asked to condemn them. Biden gets away with saying antifa is just an idea.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It's clear the standard for Biden on this is not the same as for Trump.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

If I were Trump this is what I'd say:

"I don't know what you want from me. I condemn terrorism, racism, property damage, murder, intimidation and any other tactic of lawlessness under any name."

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  12. horninchicago

Isn't that basically what he ended up saying to Wallace? Tell me who to condemn, give me the name of a group.

Seemed to me he was basically throwing his hands up in the air saying no matter how many times he condemns racism and lawlessness and on and on, he till is asked to do it as if he is in favor of those things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

So Very True

14. horninchicago

There are repugnant parts of our history, but unlike many countries, we moved on from those.

15. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

When someone bashed the United States, my late Father (A legal Cuban immigrant; came over prior to Castro) would respond, "As opposed to whom?"

Our discussion involved our CAPACITY for change and for good. The demonstrated mega-trend in the right direction was always evidence enough of him for what a reasonable person could expect from any nation. He felt good about our country because we can and do change.

It always slays me how Liberals drool all over Europe, the incubator of white supremacy (if there is such a concept). Imperialism. Slavery. Theft. Occupation.

"The sun never sets on the British Commonwealth." Whoever said that explained it well, however inadvertent. Europe has so much more to answer for (Hitler anyone?) yet who is the most arrogant and most smug of all?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  17. horninchicago

Well said as usual @bystander. I remember Fox News years ago when going to commercial sometimes had a voiceover that said something like "America has problems, but America is not the problem". Something like that, and it's true.

But, the whole reason Dems and liberals say we should allow any and all immigrants, and attacks against the US are justified, is the apologetic nature they have saying all the world's and countries' problems are because of failed US policies.

18. horninchicago

Obviously a different Michael Moore. And, there he is condemning every single group.

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

20. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I like that...

Trump should have clearly stated the Democrat platform of open borders, sanctuary cities, amnesty, benefits, the abolishment of ICE and the like for illegal aliens. He should have said, "I inherited a 20 Trillion plus national debt and the Left wants to give our country away in a vote buying scheme by pandering to the people who refuse to wait in line unlike the millions of LEGAL immigrants who a grateful nation salute tonight."

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  21. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

How about next time we stick the two a-holes in a booth so they can't be heard without a mic AND turning off the mic during the other guys allotted time?

22. horninchicago

Wallace and Biden in a booth. I like it.

• Funny Funny x 3
  23. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Well played.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm watching now, and I've got a full liter of beer poured.

Let the **** show begin.

• Funny Funny x 3
  25. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Listen closely for their mistakes. They both make them. It's very sloppy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Trump's answer on the Court appointment was crap. Biden redirected the issue to healthcare (where Trump is weaker), and rather than change the subject back to the Court (where Trump is stronger), he jumped into a pissing match on healthcare. Very, very dumb.

Even when he talked about Barrett, his focus was, "f**k off, we won." True, but far less persuasive than focusing on his nominee's merit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm only 23 minutes in, and I'm already finished with my first liter of beer. At this rate, I'll be ****-faced drunk before this is over. Better slow down.

28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I'm thinking you better speed up. Get it over with.

As to the SCOTUS comment, I was thinking Trump was trying to justify why he won't defer the nomination until this election is decided. He said, "Elections have consequences and I'm President for four years."

Yeah, he could say, "I'm doing it now because the country needs a stellar jurist like Ms. Barrett and I'm not going to make the mistake of missing on that chance."

• Agree Agree x 3
  29. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Biden's spotlight on son's addiction earns praise from advocates

The media flat-out can't bring themselves to admit that Hunter is an entitled corrupt son of a powerful man who runs interference for him.

As for the stigma, it's typically because the addict has practically destroyed the lives of their loved ones. I have to deal with a mentally ill person and I can't stand her because of what she has done to our children. This is my ex-wife. I don't care if she suffers mental illness. She is a source of enormous amounts of stress and financial loss (having to go to court over custody order violations).

30. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Well...I'm not sure who he prays to...or what he prays for.
    Must go to church with the "very religious" Miss Pelosi

• Agree Agree x 1